Wife is not Vegan - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By jessandreia
  • 1 Post By Naturebound

#1 Old 10-23-2015, 04:11 PM
Vegan

Wife is not Vegan

My wife tried Veganism for a while but felt like she needed the iron from meat. She feels a strong need to eat animal products (especially cheese) but she's allergic to dairy so she eats Daiya. Any tips to satisfy the iron craving from meat? Any good Vegan substitutes for eggs?

I would love to hear your stories and experiences.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-23-2015, 05:07 PM
Veggie Regular

I personally don't believe in craving nutrients from specific foods. I think she was just craving the taste and/or texture of meat. There are plant-based meats that taste good and have a good amount of iron.

This is coming out soon: http://followyourheart.com/veganegg/

"We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form." - William Ralphe Inge

#3 Old 10-23-2015, 05:27 PM
Veggie Regular

After about 4 years of being vegan I had bloodwork done and my iron was above the high range baseline, but not dangerously so. I eat a lot of cumin which is very high in iron. I also drink a lot of orange juice/munch other things high in vitamin C.

#4 Old 10-23-2015, 05:30 PM
Super Moderator

I agree with jessandrea, the foods people crave rarely align with needed nutrients. Except for chocolate.
There are a lot of plant foods with iron, leafy and beany, and many are iron fortified. Cream of wheat is often fortified with up to 50% iron I believe. Cooking in cast iron helps a lot, as well as eating food with vit C and avoiding caffeine at iron rich meals.

Does she know shes iron deficient? She should get checked if not

My iron levels went up after going veg'n
#5 Old 10-23-2015, 05:32 PM
Super Moderator

Try black salt for amazingly egg like taste--and smell. Mixed with tofu for a scramble it's quite egg like. Kala Namek--you can get it cheap in Indian groceries
#6 Old 10-23-2015, 06:19 PM
Beginner

you can't force it. i tried when my wife was vegetarian. it took the China Study to persuade her to go vegan...

our egg substitutes are apple sauce, bananas and no eggs. Eggs really aren't needed anymore for much cooking and baking.

Dog, guts and guns..
#7 Old 10-23-2015, 07:39 PM
Veggie Regular

I had a comprehensive screening and had some blood work when I was several years into being vegan, and my hemoglobin was smack in the middle of normal range. There are a lot of plant foods with iron...blackstrap molasses is loaded with iron (as well as calcium) and is great in hot cereals, in baking or in making homemade bread, in Asian sauces/stir fries. Dried beans are good sources of iron. Leafy greens like spinach, kale, chard are all great sources of iron. They are great in soups, salads, smoothies, for wraps. Even some whole grains have iron. Eating foods high in vitamin C increases plant based iron absorption substantially. Bell peppers, oranges, strawberries are all high in vitamin C. Surprisingly even potatoes are high in vitamin c.

Some egg substitutes...

Try chickpea salad sandwiches with vegan mayonnaise such as Just Mayo, Vegannaise, or Earth Balance Mindful mayo. Or make your own mayonnaise vegan style. I have made nut based homemade mayo, tofu based mayo, and soymilk based mayo and have loved them all! At any rate, I love to mash canned or dried cooked chickpeas with some celery, onion, black pepper, and a little dollup of vegan mayo and add it to a sandwich. I swear it tastes so much like egg salad! The juice from a can of chickpeas can even be whipped into a meringue I kid you not. I have done it myself, though I attempted angel food cake and did not have much success. Yet...Google chickpea meringue.

Tofu is great crumbled and "scrambled" like an egg, with veggies and spices.

Chickpea flour has an eggy savory flavor and is very high in protein and i use it to make chickpea flour omelets stuffed with leafy greens and tomatoes or other veggies. I simply take a 1/2 cup of chickpea flour and add it to a bowl. I add a sprinkle of black pepper, cumin, maybe some turmeric. Then I add 1/2 cup of water and make a batter. I heat a nonstick skillet and add the batter and swirl it around to make a giant pancake. As it cooks and bubbles, I add my leafy greens and veggies (such as bell pepper which is high in vitamin c), then I fold the pancake over and cook a minute more and flip and cook a minute more. I top it with salsa. This is a very rich filling high iron/protein meal and i often have it for breakfast.

Binders for baking in place of egg can be anything from bananas, squash, pumpkin, applesauce, silken tofu, potato, black beans, white beans, coconut or other oils, even ground nuts.

Leaveners can be plant milk with a tablespoon of vinegar or lemon juice to make buttermilk and add a pinch of salt and baking soda to the same recipe; cornstarch or potato or tapioca starch or arrowroot powder; even club soda.

Ground flaxseed and water mixed together in a 1:3 ratio produces a gumminess that is similar to egg and works great as a binder and leavener. Chia seeds also work with a liquid because they expand when wet and soften like a gel. Both are high in omega 3s, like eggs.

By the way, my husband is an omnivore but mostly vegetarian and I am vegan and we have lived this way now for many years. It is possible to do, though not always easy. My husband has grown to like many of my vegan dishes (I do all the cooking and I only buy vegan foods/toiletries etc) and in turn has bought and consumed far less meat/dairy/eggs than he used to. It took a good year for him to even start to come around though. I'm not a huge fan of the vegan "meat" substitutes on the market, but my husband loves some of them, so to make him happy I buy them from time to time.
leedsveg likes this.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#8 Old 10-24-2015, 07:31 AM
Veggie Regular

Beans are a great source of iron, as is fortified breakfast cereal. Here are some other ideas for iron: http://veganhealth.org/articles/iron#table1 (as the article also mentions, eating foods with vitamin C at the same time as iron can boost absorption).

As for eggs, I love tofu scrambles. Here is my favorite recipe: http://www.theppk.com/2009/10/tof-u-...ofu-revisited/

There are also vegan recipes for omelets and quiches. In baking, it is easy to substitute eggs with Ener-G egg replacer, flax, silken tofu or even applesauce: http://vegweb.com/vegweb-guide-egg-replacers

Tags
eggs , family , wife

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page