VeggieBoards banner

Frustrations of an Ex-Vegan

5K views 32 replies 18 participants last post by  Blue Gingham 
#1 · (Edited)
I have been vegetarian for 6 years, with the last two years being vegan. I had encountered a lot of problems during the time I was a vegan, including costly food, make-up and clothes. Really? $300 for synthetic leather shoes, as opposed to a pair of leather shoes that are just $100? I feel as if the vegan companies are dictated by omnivores taking advantage of the lack of vegan resource around. They charge us this rate because we are a minority, and "no one really was going to buy them". Not to mention, those vegan soy dogs ($6 more expensive than real meat) and coconut milk ice cream ($9 more than your average) is a real frustration.

What I also found frustrating is that leather, whether pure or reconstituted, is everywhere within shoes or clothing. The same thing can be said about gelatine and milk; they were in almost every damn sweet foods! I hate how animal products were everywhere in life, it really disgusts me. The vegan alternatives were so much more costly than your regular non-vegan options.

Using cosmetics or shampoo not tested on animals is a rarity in Australia, and not to mention, also very costly.

Due to the lack of resources where I lived, and vegan groceries with their costly pricing, I reverted back to being a vegetarian. I wish going vegan wasn't so costly, and those companies didn't rip us off by getting a huge revenue out of us. I am sure the materials needed to be processed and created barely costs half as much that we pay.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Veganism really isn't expensive if you shop wisely. I buy synthetic dress shoes for at MOST around $60 from Payless. They SUCK, but that's irrelevant.

Vegan meat substitutes have always been more expensive too, which is why I rarely buy them. They're plenty of other vegan ways to make a meal.

As far as candy is concerned...

Sorry, you're gonna have to forfeit Starbursts. Just comes with the territory.

You still got Dots, Skittles, Jujyfruits, Sour Patch Kids, and... and... and... peppermints! You still got peppermints, though!

Reactions: LedBoots
#3 ·
The ones at Target are made of leather and cost around $40. I have seen vegan/vegetarian dress shoes online that costed up to $300! Isn't it crazy? I wanted to find a decent pair that were made of plastic, but that was impossible. My uniform shoes are currently made of all plastic, and costed $40. They were pretty poor in quality though, since the bottom layer was made of foam. I would never wear leather.

#4 ·
PilotInCommand said:
The ones at Target are made of leather and cost around $40.
Yeah, Target isn't a great place for that.

PilotInCommand said:
I have seen vegan/vegetarian dress shoes online that costed up to $300!
The most expensive clothes I've ever purchased online was a jacket by Punk Rave:

Cost less than half that and made of fake leather.

It was also the wrong size, so I bought two. I wouldn't buy shoes online for $300 when I don't know if they're gonna be the right size, let alone comfortable. I could buy a Nintendo Wii U for that.

PilotInCommand said:
My uniform shoes are currently made of all plastic, and costed $40. They were pretty poor in quality though, since the bottom layer was made of foam.
Those foam/felt-bottom shoes always struck me as super iffy. They couldn't possibly last.

#5 ·
Due to the lack of resources where I lived, and vegan groceries with their costly pricing, I reverted back to being a vegetarian. I wish going vegan wasn't so costly, and those companies didn't rip us off by getting a huge revenue out of us. I am sure the materials needed to be processed and created barely costs half as much that we pay.
Your choice, I respect that, but I think blaming the cost and all is an easy excuse. Better to find alternatives instead! For the shoes I checked Planet shoes and saw dress shoes going from $30 to $120. 25% special right now. I dunno what is the $300 you are talking about... and I checked just that store.

I agree vegan processed food is costly, you need to get it on special, hence why I rarely buy any, not as if they are needed anyway! I make my own veggie burgers for a fraction of the cost of those in the groceries (taste better too), I saw a few recipes on Youtube for veggie dogs super easy to make, grains, legumes, starch, fruits and veggies... what? They cost a lot? Ok if you really want those pricey papaya and cashew yes, but plenty of other tasty things at good prices.

My grocery bill is smaller as a vegan. I really wonder what people buy when they say vegan cost more. What would you add anyway as a vegetarian, eggs and cheese? Why would you need those, cheese is pricey and legumes are super cheap like eggs. Check out a list of sweets that are vegan by accident, you might be surprised.

Whatever you choose, just think with a cool head. Sometimes frustration about something make us see everything in a negative way.

#6 ·
I have been vegetarian for 6 years, with the last two years being vegan. I had encountered a lot of problems during the time I was a vegan, including costly food, make-up and clothes. Really? $300 for synthetic leather shoes, as opposed to a pair of leather shoes that are just $100? I feel as if the vegan companies are dictated by omnivores taking advantage of the lack of vegan resource around. They charge us this rate because we are a minority, and "no one really was going to buy them". Not to mention, those vegan soy dogs ($6 more expensive than real meat) and coconut milk ice cream ($9 more than your average) is a real frustration.

What I also found frustrating is that leather, whether pure or reconstituted, is everywhere within shoes or clothing. The same thing can be said about gelatine and milk; they were in almost every damn sweet foods! I hate how animal products were everywhere in life, it really disgusts me. The vegan alternatives were so much more costly than your regular non-vegan options.

Using cosmetics or shampoo not tested on animals is a rarity in Australia, and not to mention, also very costly.

I'm not sure if vegans are being targeted as a "let's make money off of them" kind of resource but I feel your frustration. It's crazy how often I look at the ingredients list of seemingly vegan foods and find milk or other animal products! I have to be very careful when buying processed foods, I recently discovered that a lot of Morningstar "veggie burgers" have milk and eggs in them!! So now I buy boca.

The best solution, though, is to just buy whole foods. I eat a lot of potatoes (a LOT!), fruits, veggies, and rice. I try not to eat too much soy products or processed foods, but I care about veganism from the health aspect as well as the ethical standpoint.

I've been surprisingly lucky finding shoes made from man-made materials, I shop at stores like Shoe Dept, Off Broadway, etc. It's true that they are probably lower quality and won't last as long as leather but oh well, I can deal with it.

#7 · (Edited)
You were given a lot of links to vegan shoes that were from 40 and up, mostly around the $100. mark.
Where on earth are you that there is that kind of discrepency in price?
I find Boca vegan things on par with cheap cuts of meat, Gardein average, and Field Roast a bit more. On the other hand, beans and lentils are so far below any meat price that I save a ton of money being vegan.

Personal products are easily made, as well as cleaning supplies.

and you have the nerve to call omnivores hypocrites???

#8 ·
Lets put this into perspective- there are leather shoes out there that cost several THOUSAND dollars. Sounds like you were looking at the "top of the line" vegan shoes to me. I recently had to buy tennis shoes. Some of the really fancy ones were in the over $100 range, but I found a nice, sturdy pair for $30. My local Walgreens sells shoes made of all man-made material (i.e. vegan) for $10 (very crappy shoes of course). Point is, these products come in ranges from expensive to cheap.

I know many women don't agree, but I find cosmetics and hair care stuff wholly unnecessary and a waste of money, cruelty free or otherwise. Once your skin and hair adjusts to not being slathered with products, it will glow and shine with health.

On the subject of food, I find vegan foods (even the mostly raw diet I eat) to be dirt cheap comparatively. That soy stuff is junk and shouldn't be eaten often enough to impact your financial situation. If you stick to whole foods and cook/prep your food at home, it's super cheap. Yes, the processed foods are pricey, but those just make up a small (and unhealthy!) portion of the scope of vegan food options. One can do a lot with simple, cheap foods like grains, brand, seeds, nuts fruit and veg.

#9 ·
Agree with Pilot!
The prices of many vegan products and food are quite high,
but this situation has been better than before since
many and many people become the vegans.
If you go back to an vegetarian, your wish "going vegan wasn't so costly"
will be at slower pace.
To me, more love to the animals and earth is more important than some life problems
that can be solved by more effort of searching, DIY or homemade.
Life is short, more meaningful lifestyle, I have no regrets.

#10 · (Edited)
I agree, I don't find living vegan more expensive at all tbh. I use as little electricity as I can, using LED lightbulbs, turning off lights, only using air conditioning if it is over 88°F. I bought a used small non leather car, much cheaper than new or fancy ones and good on gas. My house is pretty small.

As far as shoes, I am a nurse in her 50s who has to walk a lot in my job. I can't wear cheap shoes to work because I would wreck my feet. I wear Dansko brand a lot, (some are not vegan, some are.) They aren't inexpensive, but they last years and always look new. If you have more than one good pair of work shoes, switch off daily. The shoes will last longer and not get smelly. :)

The food isn't really more expensive than omni food in the long run. Produce in season and as local ss possible will be healthier, fresher, and less $$. Potatoes, sweet and white (and even little purple ones!)are healthy staples. What kinds of foods do you like? Lots of people here can help with suggestions! :)

I wear these all the time. They are Dansko and are 4 years old, still look new. Good fake leather wears better than rotten animal skin. Good luck!

#11 ·
I totally agree with OP. Yes, it is possible to be vegan on a tight budget, but you will be limited to a lot of frozen/canned foods, potatoes, beans, and bananas. Vegan substitutes are super over-priced... I've been craving ice cream for the longest time, but can't bring myself to pay a much higher price for a tiny cup of cashew/coconut ice cream. Luckily, I can afford to splurge on some pricier vegan items, but I wish they were cheaper so that they would be accessible to more people who are interested in the vegan lifestyle.

#13 ·
I have seen the prices for the soy ice cream and they are ridiculous. I went on vacation not to long ago and when at dinner my waitor asked if I wanted dessert but I told him I was vegan and he brought me mango sorbet. It rlly made my day. I'm not sure if you have a Trader Joe's near you but the prices are great. Mango Sorbet=$5 and it's pretty big Soy Ice Cream=$4 and it's also pretty big as well.

#12 ·
It sounds like you need to get some products shipped from the US. Im not sure of whats available in Australia but in the US there are plenty of cheap makeup brands, low cost food stores, and cheap vegan shoes. Most low cost companies unintentionally offer vegan products. There are stores like Forever21(I have issues with their sweatshop labor), Charlotte Russe, Jessica Simpson etc that had no intention of being vegan but their prices are too low for their shows to contain animals products. The list of vegan makeup canbe found on the PETA site. The list is ever long so it makes no sense in me giving u the list. And try to stay away from the super expensive procesed foods. I am a vegan ona budget and I make due. The price of lentils and super cheap alongcwith some whole grains. Try to see of Trader Joe's can deliver to you or if you can outspurce the delivery. It might just be worth the money. Lemme kno if I can help you anymore.

Venusvegan.wordpress.com

#14 ·
I would totally ditch pricy vegan ice cream to uphold my veganism!

It's just ice cream, if I want a cold refreshing dessert I blend bananas and other frozen fruits. For me the animals are more important then my taste buds. I can say I miss bacon or I miss pistachio ice cream but I can live without them without suffering a bit. I found other things to eat that I love.

#18 ·
I would totally ditch pricy vegan ice cream to uphold my veganism!

It's just ice cream, if I want a cold refreshing dessert I blend bananas and other frozen fruits. For me the animals are more important then my taste buds. I can say I miss bacon or I miss pistachio ice cream but I can live without them without suffering a bit. I found other things to eat that I love.
Me too. If you become an ex-vegan because coconut ice-cream is too expensive, you can't have been a very committed vegan to begin with.

#16 ·
Hi, PilotInCommand-

I don't know if things might be different in Australia- maybe they are- but I find that in the United States (or the Northeast part of it, anyway), convenience foods of any kind are often expensive. For example, prepared breakfast cereals and heat-and-eat dinners. And omnivores eat them all the time.

For other vegan foods, I think it's a matter of not being able to mass-produce them yet. I just bought my first jar of "Just Mayo" within the past week. It's a vegan mayonnaise which has been around for maybe 3 years, but I only just found it in the supermarket chain where I do most of my shopping. It's maybe 20% more expensive than Hellman's Real Mayonnaise (a popular nationwide-marketed egg mayonnaise which has been around for decades!), but its taste is comparable.

#19 ·
@Dogma- Great examples. Hope you don't mind if I add some:):

A healthy vegan grocery shop (we do not eat the parrot:p)-

Vegan fridge (please note those TV dinners and condiments belong to my omni husband, not me!)-

Vegan pantry-

No artificial meat/dairy needed! Whole, real foods. Cook from scratch, buy in bulk (dry goods) and cook at home. It really isn't any more expensive than a vegetarian or omni diet.

#24 ·
I am doing most of everything that I can to eliminate animal cruelty or exploitation. Being a vegetarian is only the first step, and even if they cannot give up ice cream or milk, they are still not contributing to the deaths of 1000s of animals. Therefore, I do not hate omnivores that try to go vegetarian, I support them and I know the transition is hard and it cannot take just one try for some people. What I don't like is that omnivorous "animal lovers" contribute NOTHING to animal exploitation and do NOTHING to try and reduce it, but protest and whinge about dogs getting unethically slaughtered in China (which I too, think is horrible but to the same degree as other animals because I see them all as equal). They just sit there and complain, even when they know how much pain animals go through and try to detach themselves from the truth. It is just like a smoker, knowing what smoking can do to their lungs but continue smoking. Once, I went to an RSPCA event and they were talking about abuse against cats and dogs (the most common and the most concentrated part of the RSPCA), but they were grilling up sausages. Did they know that killing a pig against its own will is abuse itself, no matter how humanely they are slaughtered? So it is okay to eat an animal if it was slaughtered humanely? Would it be alright if I can kill other people humanely as possible, then steal their money or to manifest my anger in them? Absolutely not! And killing somebody is most certainly against their will, and I think it is the same for animals too as they cannot give consent and would certainly not, if we could actually communicate with animals. Just because people perceive animals as "less superior" and "less intelligent" than us, then does that give us the right to kill and exploit them?

#25 ·
PilotInCommand said:
Once, I went to an RSPCA event and they were talking about abuse against cats and dogs (the most common and the most concentrated part of the RSPCA), but they were grilling up sausages.
4 Days Ago...

Alex JB: "I think you need to volunteer some of your spare time at an RSPCA!"

Dogma: "Never."

#26 ·
I loved ice cream, and really either plain hate, or just don't care for, most non dairy.
These I LOVE---and they're vegan and cheap----

http://pierres.com/products/sorbet/

Pierres chocolate sorbet is like a dark chocolate fudgesicle in a carton. there pints are less than $2.00 by me.

Sorbets are generally just pureed fruit and sugar. Pierres is the only one I've seen with chocolate

Just putting frozen fruit in blender will do very nicely
I do like Trader Joes soy vanilla but never want that much. It's like a half gallon.
That's a good thing-- I eat far less substitutes of things that aren't that healthy!

Or freeze strong coffee in ice cube trays to make your own frappecinos. You can make vegan chocolate syrup, carmel (caramel) syrup.

When you cook your own dried beans, make your own soy milk, and buy veggies and fruits locally and in season you can afford the occasional splurge on things like fair trade vegan candies.

#27 ·
When you cook your own dried beans, make your own soy milk, and buy veggies and fruits locally and in season you can afford the occasional splurge on things like fair trade vegan candies.
I don't make my plant milk because I love the fortified stuff they add to it, but dried beans and the rest I agree 100%. Though, when you think about it, 79 cents to 1$ for a big can of beans or lentils is still pretty cheap compared to a steak or a chicken breast if someone doesn't want to soak and cook beans. With the saved money buy vegan ice cream!

Reactions: LedBoots
#28 ·
I don't live in Australia, so I am not familiar with the prices there. But if you can't afford to be 100% vegan, just do what you can.

If you can't afford synthetic leather shoes, see if you can afford them second-hand or get second-hand leather (since at least that won't directly affect the supply and demand of the leather industry). When it comes to processed vegan foods, try learning how to make similar foods from scratch and only having the processed foods as an occasional treat.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.