• 1 Post By LedBoots
  • 1 Post By silva
  • 1 Post By PandemicAcolyte
  • 1 Post By bluebenji
  • 1 Post By Chocorococo
  • 1 Post By Naturebound

#1 Old 08-26-2015, 07:51 AM

Smile Vegan Protein supplements?

Okay, so I am new to being a Vegan and I am really lost on some of my nutrients. I haven't been getting my right amount of protein for the past week since I started. I was doing some research trying to find a good source of protein and I came across some protein supplements on Peta's website. So I am going to throw the link at the end of this. But I have some questions still. What are some good meals that I can cook up before work or the night before and prepare it. I know beans and what not are good, but what are some other good sources. If anyone could tell me some good information and be specific because I don't even know what all the vitamins I need are. I started taking some centrum vitamins in the morning for the B12, but I don't know about much else. Also here are the links to the protein powders. Are these powders okay to take one or two times a day? Are they as good as getting the protein through real food? Thank you!!!

http://www.peta.org/living/food/pump...rotein-powder/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-26-2015, 09:04 AM
Super Moderator

Personally, I've never taken protein powders. Protein is found in such a wide variety of plant foods that it's really unnecessary to supplement further. You say you eat beans, which is great. How about nuts and nut butters, chickpea dahl, hummus, tofu, seitan, tempeh, soy milk, soy yogurt, soy ice cream, veggie burgers and sausages?

If you eat a varied diet, you shouldn't have to worry too much about anything beyond B12, I take a vegan EPA/DHA supplement and a multivitamin just in case, but for years I was perfectly healthy without. It's more of a precaution since I'm currently pregnant.
#3 Old 08-26-2015, 09:58 AM

Would i be okay if i were getting my protein from the protein powders? Like is it safe, healthy, etc.

#4 Old 08-26-2015, 10:15 AM

Protein Supplements:
Beans
Lentils
Quinoa
Tofu
PandemicAcolyte likes this.
#5 Old 08-26-2015, 10:27 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaldo102 View Post
Would i be okay if i were getting my protein from the protein powders? Like is it safe, healthy, etc.
Sorry, I honestly don't know.
#6 Old 08-26-2015, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaldo102 View Post
I have HEARD from vegan fitness youtubers that not only are protien powders a waste of time and money but that vegan protien powders with contain protein isolates can raise igf 1 levels in your body. I would use some google fu
#7 Old 08-26-2015, 01:27 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Hi Chaldo and welcome . I don't know of any studies done on using protein powders, but they seem to be completely safe.

You'll have to eat food, too. Good, easy vegan food includes beans and rice (any bean you like, throw in some spices or salsa.) Refried beans (buy the vegetarian type in cans) in tortillas or in baked potatoes. Oatmeal with nuts or peanut butter. Sweet potatoes with black beans and banana (yes, I said banana ). Stir fry with rice or pasta: you can use frozen veggies or learn knife skills and chop up some fresh in a snap. Chop the harder, slower to cook veggies in smaller pieces, the fast cooking ones bigger. Start with onions in the oil (or if you hate oil, keep adding a liquid) and then when they get soft add the rest. And some tofu or canned beans--white ones are good and mild. Add some stirfry sauce or spices.

Learn to cook is my best advice, and you will be able to cook good vegan meals, with leftovers for future meals, faster than you can drive thru Taco Bell (their fresco bean tacos are vegan btw.)

no whey jose likes this.
#8 Old 08-26-2015, 02:31 PM
Super Moderator

I would recommend taking a more complete nutritional supplement. While it is easy to get what you need from a vegan diet after you've become accustomed to it, I think in the beginning many people are kinda lost, and having a supplement can really help.

I still like to keep a powdered shake around. There are so many-soy, pea, hemp, organic, raw... I find the hemp really gritty
I like Now foods Alive! ultra shake
http://www.amazon.com/Alive-Soy-Ultr...ve+ultra+shake
With OJ it mixes easily and completely

THis one is also good but I can taste the stevia, I had the vanilla one and like it in plain coffee or non dairy milk. They make an unsweetened I'd like to try.
http://www.amazon.com/Alive-Soy-Ultr...ve+ultra+shake

I think it can help in transitioning. They're filling and can fill the gaps until you feel normalized as a vegan. Helped me. In the beginning there was so much I didn;t like-like Taco Bell fresco.
LedBoots likes this.
#9 Old 08-26-2015, 02:36 PM
Beginner

I'm trying to build muscle at the moment so I'm using brown rice protein powder. To be honest it's pretty horrible, taste's like I'm eating sand sometimes. I mix it with some soy milk, usually a flavoured one like vanilla or coconut to make it a bit nice. Make's it a bit easier to drink.
#10 Old 08-26-2015, 03:14 PM
Plant/Fungi based.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwar View Post
Protein Supplements:
Beans
Lentils
Quinoa
Tofu
I use these and get enough protein for my legs to cycle me to and from work 5 days a week.
Gwar likes this.
#11 Old 08-26-2015, 07:56 PM

Hulled hemp seeds (hemp hearts) are really tasty. I throw them on/in everything now from burritos to smoothies to curries.
LedBoots likes this.
#12 Old 08-26-2015, 09:28 PM
Vegan since 1991

Hi Chaldo,

Please read this very well-written vegetarian guide, published by Mercy For Animals. The nutrition portion of the guide begins on page 7:
http://www.mercyforanimals.org/files/VSG.pdf . It discusses the nutrients that are of particular interest to vegetarians and vegans: protein, calcium, iron, vitamin B12, vitamin D, and omega 3 fatty acids.

The American Heart Association also has a webpage on vegetarian nutrition: http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Gettin...32_Article.jsp

Assuming that you're eating enough calories, and that you're eating a variety of foods, it's very likely that you ARE getting enough protein (even without protein supplements). Take a look at the American Diabetes Association's webpage on protein and vegetarian diets: http://www.diabetes.org/food-and-fit...d-protein.html

It's important to remember to eat enough calories on a vegetarian diet. It's easy to accidentally under-consume calories, because vegetarian foods are low in calories compared to meat and dairy products.

You can use these 2 websites to quickly estimate how many calories you need each day:

http://www.calorieking.com/interacti...hould-you-eat/ (this website has calorie options for weight-loss, weight-maintenance, and weight-gain)

http://www.health.harvard.edu/diet-a...ine-activities

Then, just remember this calorie "rule of thumb":

One cup of boiled beans or lentils contains about 240 calories

One cup of boiled grains or pasta contains about 200 calories

One cup of fresh fruit (not dried fruit) contains 40-100 calories

One cup of non-starchy vegetables (spinach, radishes, etc.) contains 5-40 calories

One cup of nuts or seeds contains 700-1000 calories

One tablespoon of vegetable oil contains 120 calores

_________

“Under the twinkling trees was a table covered with Guatemalan fabric, roses in juice jars, wax rose candles from Tijuana and plates of food — Weetzie's Vegetable Love-Rice, My Secret Agent Lover Man's guacamole, Dirk's homemade pizza, Duck's fig and berry salad and Surfer Surprise Protein Punch, Brandy-Lynn's pink macaroni, Coyote's cornmeal cakes, Ping's mushu plum crepes and Valentine's Jamaican plantain pie."

from Witch Baby, Francesca Lia Block, 1991

Last edited by David3; 08-26-2015 at 09:35 PM.
#13 Old 08-26-2015, 11:36 PM

Your situation sounds a lot like mine. I think it may be because you're not eating enough. Everything has protein. Cheap lazy vegan on YouTube has videos showing how she makes her meals in bulk if that's something you're interested in. But if you feel like you're not getting enough protein/not eating enough, I would get the protein powder. A lot of vegans do it especially when they are just staring out. Plus a smoothie with some protein powder is a convenient way to get a good dosage of your daily intake of vitamins and minerals. I know exactly how it is. I work 7 days a week and when I get home I don't even feel like cooking. For me, I just get a lot of frozen veggies and rice and microwave them. Frozen veggies are super cheap and convenient.
LedBoots likes this.
#14 Old 08-27-2015, 02:32 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocorococo View Post
Your situation sounds a lot like mine. I think it may be because you're not eating enough. Everything has protein. Cheap lazy vegan on YouTube has videos showing how she makes her meals in bulk if that's something you're interested in. But if you feel like you're not getting enough protein/not eating enough, I would get the protein powder. A lot of vegans do it especially when they are just staring out. Plus a smoothie with some protein powder is a convenient way to get a good dosage of your daily intake of vitamins and minerals. I know exactly how it is. I work 7 days a week and when I get home I don't even feel like cooking. For me, I just get a lot of frozen veggies and rice and microwave them. Frozen veggies are super cheap and convenient.
While veggies and rice are great, and provide some protein, adding some canned beans (which require no cooking, only rinsing) would provide a lot more protein AND fiber, iron, calcium (one cup of beans have something like 16% calcium) and a whole host of other nutrients. Or throw in a few tablespoons of raw sunflower seeds.

I have been vegan for 4.5 years and have done very well without a multi vitamin. I do take B12, a vegan friendly calcium supplement, and a vegan vitamin D supplement. For a while I used to take vegan DHA/EPA but the last year or so I haven't been and I haven't noticed any difference.

I use protein powders on occasion but not every day. I use them in smoothies but also in pumpkin/banana and a few other dishes. I have tried the following brands and like all of these:

http://myvega.com/product/protein-greens/ (Vega protein and greens; like this one the most as it provides a good bit of calcium and has a nice amino acid profile and the taste is very smooth)

http://www.plantfusion.net/products/plantfusion (PlantFusion- similar to Vega but less calcium and iron)

http://manitobaharvest.com/category/...in+Powder.html (Manitoba Harvest- tastes ok but you have to get used to the off color and it doesn't always mix well with stuff)

http://www.sourcenaturals.com/products/GP2258/ (pea protein powder Source Naturals- I think pea protein powder mixes really well with other foods and is very neutral tasting. It tends to be the lowest carb of the bunch and has NO added sugar, but lacks a few of the amino acids that others have)

http://www.vitacost.com/nutribiotic-...anilla-3-lbs-2 (Rice Protein powder- is ok, but gritty)

My plant sources of protein:

all kinds of beans...chickpea, black beans, white beans, navy, kidney, red, adzuki, lima, peas, edamame, etc

tofu, tempeh

Seitan (made from vital wheat gluten)

whole grains like quinoa, millet, buckwheat groats, oat groats and oats, bulgur wheat, barley, spelt, etc (also whole wheat pasta, and slices of whole wheat or other grain bread counts as one slice usually has 4 grams of protein so a sandwich with two slices is 8 grams plus whatever you put in it)

sweet potatoes

broccoli, spinach, collard greens, bok choy, asparagus, carrots, sprouts (so much fun to grow your own!)...

Nutritional yeast (two tablespoons = 8 grams protein)

chia seed, pumpkin seeds, flaxseeds, sunflower seeds, nut/seed butters, peanut butter, peanuts, almonds, pecans, walnuts, etc

Very rarely but occasionally soy yogurts, soy milk, vegan "meats" like Field Roast or Beyond Meat or commercial veggie burgers, cliff or larabars.

When you combine some of these foods in each meal or snack you get more than enough protein for the day and from a variety of sources which means you are meeting all your essential amino acids. I try to get vegetables and grains in every meal and at least one cup of beans each day if not more. Fat sources in nuts/seeds I consume a small quantity of each day to help get omega 3 ALA and so on and they also add a small bit of protein. And while fruit does not have much protein, I include them in several servings each day too as they are awesome snacks and contain a whole host of other nutrients we need (potassium, magnesium, water, fiber, vitamin c....)
LedBoots likes this.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#15 Old 08-27-2015, 08:32 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwar View Post
I have HEARD from vegan fitness youtubers that not only are protien powders a waste of time and money but that vegan protien powders with contain protein isolates can raise igf 1 levels in your body. I would use some google fu

I do use protein powders and without them I feel like my muscles don't grow. So idk

Tags
protein , supplement , Vegan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page