VeggieBoards banner

Vegan Lunch

771 views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  lookforstars 
#1 ·
Im just transitioning from vegetarian to vegan but need easy / little preparation lunch ideas, I was eating quorn sausage rolls when vegetarian, though they're obviously not vegan - is there anything of a similar type?

#2 ·
If you look in the bottom right hand corner of this page there is a "similar Threads" box that has other threads on the same topic. You will find lots of ideas there! However, I don't mind sharing ideas for newbies again and again. :)

Chickpea salad sandwiches: mash a can of chickpeas (or dried cooked) in a bowl. Add some chopped celery, onion, whatever you desire or just the chickpeas. Add some vegan mayonnaise (commercial or make your own...there are tons of vegan homemade mayo recipes on the net!) and maybe some black pepper, then spread this mixture on three or four sandwiches. Chickpea salad sandwiches taste sort of like egg salad or chicken salad. Some commercial vegan mayonnaise brands are Vegannaise, Earth Balance Mindful Mayo, Spectrum eggless mayo, and Just Mayo (most of these are at Whole Foods and health stores but sometimes you can find them in larger mainstream groceries)
Some commercial vegan breads are Ezekiel brand and Food for life both found in the freezer section of grocery stores in the U.S.; Rudy's bread, some versions of Sara's bread and others are vegan too. I make my own bread in batches on Sundays and freeze a loaf and have one on hand so they last me a few weeks.

Amy's frozen burritos..there are several nondairy vegan ones and even a gluten free vegan one

Garden salads can be made into a filling meal with the addition of canned beans, fresh fruit, nuts/seeds and lots of veggies as well as a good dressing. I use peanut butter, almond butter, or tahini to make my own dressing, or sometimes just vinegar, maple syrup, and Dijon. Or I just pile on salsa.

Hummus and raw veggies and some fruit on the side

peanut butter and banana sandwiches

Steamed sweet potato, black bean, curry powder, kale or another leafy green

Soba noodles or whole wheat spaghetti, peas, soy sauce

Bring a ziplock bag with some dry oats, cinnamon, and dry sweetener to work and a bowl. Add the cereal mix to the bowl and add some hot water to it and let it soak a minute or so for hot oatmeal. Add some chopped dates, raisins, almonds, sunflower seeds etc to it if you wish, or bring a banana and slice and add it to your oatmeal at lunch. Couscous also makes a quick cooking grain that you can just add hot water to. I like couscous with chickpeas and tomato.

Make a mini pizza with toast or flatbread, spread with tomato paste, add chopped olives, diced tomato, green pepper, onion, mushroom, anything you like to the top of it. I like to add fresh basil or dried, some garlic, even cooked wild rice to the top.

I make a huge batch of wild rice on Sunday for a week of cold rice salad: wild rice, dates or raisins, chopped walnuts, dried cranberries or chopped fresh apple, celery, onion, cinnamon, nutmeg, and mix a little maple syrup in the batch. I love this dish!

I hope some of these ideas help! Even if you can spare one day to premake stuff like whole grains or homemade bread etc it helps a lot when you want something quick during the week. I don't buy a whole lot of prepackaged foods so I can't help much there. On occasion I buy Silk soy yogurts or SoDelicious coconut milk yogurt and have it with a mango and almonds for a lunch.

#3 ·
Look into Cauldron and VBites foods. Cauldron can be found near Quorn stuff in supermarkets. VBites will be in Hollland and Barrett in fridge :) There is plenty of stuff there! Good luck :)

Oh and Sainsbury's make their own brand of vegan falafel :)

Reactions: no whey jose
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.