Help! Business Lunch Out of Town - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-29-2015, 09:23 AM

Help! Business Lunch Out of Town

I travel as a part of my corporate meetings job, and eat in hotels for breakfast, lunch and dinner with limited or no access to local restaurants. My ability to bring my own food, however, is great, and inoffensive to my clients, and our hotel banquet meals are usually buffet style.
So what I want to know is what would you suggest I bring as meals, especially for lunches, that is packable in a suitcase, and provides balanced nutrition?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-29-2015, 12:45 PM
Vegan since 1991

HI MeetMarket,

If you're only going to be on travel for a few days, there's no need to prepare any food. Almost any restaurant can serve you rice, pasta, potatoes, and salad. If it's not completely nutritionally-complete, it's not going to hurt you; you'll make up for it when you get back home.

You do, however, want to make sure to get enough calories! Don't make the mistake of trying to live on fruit and salad - these are nutritious, but it's hard to get enough calories to fuel your activities.

You can boost your calories by eating nuts and dried fruit.

_________

“Under the twinkling trees was a table covered with Guatemalan fabric, roses in juice jars, wax rose candles from Tijuana and plates of food — Weetzie's Vegetable Love-Rice, My Secret Agent Lover Man's guacamole, Dirk's homemade pizza, Duck's fig and berry salad and Surfer Surprise Protein Punch, Brandy-Lynn's pink macaroni, Coyote's cornmeal cakes, Ping's mushu plum crepes and Valentine's Jamaican plantain pie."

from Witch Baby, Francesca Lia Block, 1991
#3 Old 05-29-2015, 07:01 PM
Veggie Regular

You can premake sandwiches and bring them along (such as hummus, raw spinach and red pepper, or sliced tomato and avocado and black bean, or chickpea salad sandwich), or premake and bring along your own energy bars. If you have a thermos, bring along some soup or a smoothie.

When I have traveled and stayed in hotels for a few days to a week, I would always make sure to get a room with a microwave and refrigerator because I very rarely eat out at restaurants. I would bring stuff (or buy it at a local grocery) such as dry oats or dry couscous and some chopped nuts/seeds and spices to add to it and all I had to do was add hot water and let it soak for a hot cereal. Often I would have this with a fruit such as a mango or banana etc. Usually I will premake a bunch of stuff before leaving home, but a few years ago I traveled by plane to another state and stayed in a hotel and I believe I bought at a grocery store some canned beans, quick cooking parboiled brown rice, vegan friendly tortilla wraps, peanut butter, produce to make salads each day (and store in the mini fridge), soba noodles and frozen peas/carrots, commercial falafal mix, and a few other items and made it work that way. I would always research grocery stores before traveling so I knew where to find food. If traveling by car I would bring my own dishes but if by plane and not able to bring that sort of thing through the airport, I relied on paper plates and so on. Sometimes soup is as easy as peeling and slicing a raw sweet potato and adding it to a large bowl of water along with some canned chickpeas and onion and a little seasoning and heating it in the microwave til the potato is soft. Makes a great makeshift soup! I add leafy greens to mine. If you can find a way to boil water, you can make spaghetti and heat a can of tomato sauce to go over it. Boil some red lentils and add to the sauce and pour over the spaghetti and have a salad on the side. With a few dishes and kitchen tools you can make surprisingly a lot of stuff in a hotel room. Some hotels have kitchenettes with equipment available too.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

#4 Old 05-30-2015, 12:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Id bring some trail mix for between meals, for sure. But dont stress too much.

Tags
business , healthy food , packable , travel

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page