VeggieBoards banner

Spots urgh

827 views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Vegan Dave 
#1 ·
I have aaaaalways been known for having amazing skin and hair. My skin was literally flawless. It didn't even matter what I ate, and even getting the odd spot for me was ridiculously unusual. I've been vegan 8 months now and I'd say I follow an 801010 diet. I have just been diagnosed with OCD and anxiety, and my panic attacks are more prevelant than ever. I have had heaps and heaps of stress right now as have many jobs in the university as well as having to balance studying for my degree and family/social life. I'm turning 20 this year so am still a young one. I am an extremely sensitive person in every sense of the word - physically I bruise really easily etc. and I'm emotionally all over the place right now I guess. I keep it together very well though - no one knows apart from me and a friend about what's going on behind closed doors. HOWEVER, my flawless skin is now a complete nest for whiteheads. They are ALL over my T-zone, and now they're creeping down my cheeks. My skin is awful. I can't get them to go away, and new ones come up every day. I'm not sure if it's something to do with the way I'm eating, things I'm using on my face (I only use essential oil, mainly coconut oil right now, and wash my face softly with water every morning as my skin is sooo sensitive to creams etc.) or if it's completely stress related? But I am running a vegan business and I have an appearance to uphold... No one is going to want to be vegan if they see a tired, spotty, achey teen trying to sell you her food. Any help or tips would be appreciated!

See less See more
#3 ·
It could be stress. Or, you could try altering your diet yet stay vegan. (I have no idea how people eat so many carbs!)

Certainly take some concrete steps toward improving your mental wellbeing and stress level. Exercise, yoga, meditation, playing music, journaling...this may help a lot. Also it sounds like you're really busy. Is there anything you can do to alleviate some of your workload?

#4 ·
It could be stress. Or, you could try altering your diet yet stay vegan. (I have no idea how people eat so many carbs!)

Certainly take some concrete steps toward improving your mental wellbeing and stress level. Exercise, yoga, meditation, playing music, journaling...this may help a lot. Also it sounds like you're really busy. Is there anything you can do to alleviate some of your workload?
Yeah I'm trying to be more rigorous with my meditation and relaxation techniques! Not really. It's exam time/coursework time/everything time so I really can't give anything more up than I already have, unfortunately! Everyone tells me I'm doing too much but sometimes you're too much in it to get out, you know? So I'm just trying to deal with the side effects right now since I can't tackle the core of the problem.

#5 ·
I always find it interesting when vegans say they struggle with skin problems. My sister and I have had a lot of success with our skin since going vegan. My sister used to break out terribly on her face. It was like that from the time she was 13 to her early forties. She went vegan in 2012 and really cleaned up her diet and learned to cook and eat whole foods. My sister used to live on frozen dinners and fast food. Her face is completely cleared up now. It is literally a miracle! I have never had skin problems personally to begin with (and in my 42 years have only worn makeup maybe a half dozen times total) but my color has improved a lot as a vegan and oddly I don't sunburn nearly as much as I used to. I spend a LOT of time outside cycling from May to October.

My guess is probably the same as others have mentioned, that stress in your life is playing a huge part in your breakouts. as far as diet, the only thing I can think of that might help skin is more omega 3s...flaxseeds, walnuts, avocado, loads of leafy greens daily (at least 3 to 4 cups). Almonds are high in vitamin E, as is wild rice, and that seems to be one of those vitamins that helps skin.

If hormones are out of whack it might cause breakouts too. Are you on any form of birth control? Did your periods slow down or stop?

I do remember when I was juggling school and work and carrying for my disabled husband. I was under tremendous stress as well, and I would get hit with nasty stomach viruses when I would finally get a week off school. I took a little longer to complete my schooling because I couldn't take on one more class. I decided that slow and steady would win me the race more than cramming in fifteen different things. I wanted to graduate with my sanity. I think it is very common for people to take on too much in college. I hope you can find a way to get through it all and get some needed rest.

#6 ·
Have you been keeping track of your daily nutritional intake? Do you supplement at all? Deficiencies (even minor ones) can contribute greatly to heightened stress reactions, anxiety and breakouts. The possibility of a deficiency on top of a hectic lifestyle could really be pushing you to the brink.

#7 ·
Hi guys! Naturebound, yes everything in my life improved with veganism and my skin was still flawless until this stress came around, so I don't think the diet is the problem like you said :) Will certainly up my dosage of those foods, thanks! My periods stopped yes! For 4 months. I only just got my period back last weekend after 4 months of it disappearing. Before that my periods were getting further and further apart and lighter as each month past (e.g. 30 days apart, then 50 days apart, then a 4 month gap) and the one I just got was a good heaviness and lasted 4 to 5 days, which seems healthy, especially since before going vegan my periods were way too heavy and lasted more than 2 weeks at a time, which my doctor was really worried about.

Kiwibird08 I have been for a while, on and off. I went to the doctor about all this and asked about having blood tests for deficiences and she said it wasn't possible - that, because I had blood tests that came back perfect just before I went vegan, there is no way I would have developed a deficiency is just 7 months as, she said, they take years to form. SO I've crossed that one off the list. I have a lot of my nutrition tracker posts on my blog in my signature if you think the doctor's wrong and want to see what I eat though!

#8 ·
No matter what happens with your skin.....you don't want to be stressed out. :eek:

Life is too short.....there are only a few things that "really matter". Being only 20......you have many decades ahead of you......don't burn out too early. Grades, etc. are important.....but not at the expense of your health. If your friends say that you're doing too much....you're probably doing too much.

Life isn't a sprint......it's a long distance jog.

Don't peak too early.....there's a lot to see and enjoy. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.