Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By Giray
  • 1 Post By Naturebound
  • 2 Post By Giray

#1 Old 03-29-2015, 09:10 AM
TravelingTartar

Vegan on distant roads

This summer, actually in late May (2015), if all goes according to plan, I'll be heading out from Washington DC on my motorcycle, headed across the US to Utah, then up through Canada and into Alaska, up to Fairbanks, back down to Anchorage and then North again for a 500 mile gravel road ride on the Dempster Highway as far as Inuvik. Then I head back down through Canada directly to DC in time for July 4th fireworks.

The question is, how will this vegan fare?

I've been vegan/vegetarian since 1977 so I'm not new to the challenges of eating vegan. I've managed to survive Africa, most of Europe, even Argentina, Spain and France - three of the least vegan countries on Earth. But how will I manage on these desolate stretches of road in the Yukon, Alaska and the Northwest Territories?

Well, should the trip happen (90% chance for now) I'll use this thread to let you all know how easy, or difficult, it is to eat vegan in places like Eagle Plains, Tok, Whitehorse, Fort McPherson and multiple other places most have never heard of.

Obviously, if any of you have tips, know of great vegan restaurants, grocery stores and the like, let me know and I'll visit them and report back. I'm always open to stopping by a vegan household and breaking bread with you as well. In a few days I'll post my planned itinerary and how to follow my journey.

Yes, of course, I can carry food with me, but those of you who ride know full well that I cannot take 6 weeks of food on a motorcycle, plus, it's fun to eat out!
Purp likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-29-2015, 10:59 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't know what direction you will be going in, but if you happen to take the Upper Peninsula across Michigan and HWY 2 across the north to Utah, there is a great all vegan grocery store in the U.P. Michigan called "City Green Market". It is off scenic HWY 28 in Negaunee. HWY 28 eventually meets up with HWY 2 that goes all the way to the west coast somewhere. At any rate, great little store! Also, I live in Duluth, MN and there is an organic restaurant called Duluth Grill that has some vegan options on the menu, and even coconut ice cream for dessert. That is off the freeway system when passing through Duluth (27th Ave West exit).

I have done many canoe camping trips in the BWCA and always bring food that keeps a long time without the need for refrigeration and that packs light and tight. Some stuff I would bring: oats, couscous, dried fruits (including dates and figs), tortillas with peanut butter, nuts/seeds (especially roasted pumpkin seeds with shell on), larabars, cliff bars, red lentils, sundried tomatoes, carrots, jicama strips, snap peas, organic brown rice milk powder, pasta, vegan dried "cheese mix" (ground almonds, starch of some kind, garlic powder, nutritional yeast, onion powder) and vegan freeze dried meals.

My favorite vegan milk powder and freeze dried meals:

http://growingnaturals.com/products/rice-drink/
http://www.backpackerspantry.com/pro...ml?variety=135
http://outdoorherbivore.com/lickety-split-lentils/

Also, I would always have maps and an orienteering compass handy (and know how to use it...requires no battery or plug ins ). My husband brings a gps unit also when traveling.

Sounds like a great journey! I wish you the best!

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#3 Old 03-29-2015, 11:08 AM
TravelingTartar

Thanks for the great pointers. Unfortunately, I won't be taking the North route from DC to Utah. Going through St. Louis then over through Pueblo, Co (family stuff) then Utah then North. As far as the food ideas, thanks!! My only problem, of course, is space. Being on a motorcycle limits my options ;-) Also, because I camp, I tend to carry not too much bear bait ;-) What I actually carry as 'emergency' food is Clif's Builder Bars. I'm currently traveling in Europe and my suitcase is chock full of them ;-) Oh, I'm also a cashew nut; always have a big big bag of them. Some of your links are really good though. Didn't know them. Will likely order a couple of things to enjoy over a fire when I'm looooonely on the Dempster!!
Purp and Naturebound like this.

Tags
motorcycle , on-the-road , travel

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page