Possible Thanksgiving Seitan Disaster - Please help! - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By jennyface
  • 1 Post By Marjoram

#1 Old 11-26-2014, 12:09 PM

Possible Thanksgiving Seitan Disaster - Please help!

Hi everyone, I need some help, as I may have to remake my main dish....

Since half my family is vegan and half isn't, we have two Thanksgiving meals (ugh, seriously is your dead animal that important to you that you force your disabled wife to cook you a completely separate meal on Thanksgiving?? but I digress...), and I am in charge of the vegan meal. I decided to make the Holiday seitan roast from the November Issue of Vegetarian Times, which involves making seitan from scratch, which I have never done before.

Now I KNOW that you are not supposed to boil it, and I tried to simmer it like it said, but even though I lowed the heat all the way down it was still lightly boiling and now it looks like brains. Is it ruined? Do I have to remake it? The rest of the recipe involves browning and roasting the brai-I mean seitan, so maybe that will salvage it? Please help! I still gotta do gravy and pecan pie today and Mum's currently in the ER, so if I need to remake the seitan I need to know ASAP....

Thanks in advance fellow vegans <3
Purp likes this.

"You know I'm a radical."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-26-2014, 12:51 PM
Beginner

I have no idea about Seitan but YouTube DEFINITELY will! Look up your problem on YouTube and I'm more than certain that you'll get the visual answer you'll want Good luck!
#3 Old 11-26-2014, 01:42 PM

I found the exact recipe from VegTimes that I used, except the video never tells you to bring the seitan to a boil first (in the issue, it specifically tells you to bring the liquid with the seitan loaves in it to a boil and then low the heat down to let it simmer). I feel like that is probably the problem, but I don't know if that means I need to throw it out and try again. Think I'm going to taste it first and see what it tastes like before deciding....

ETA: also looks as if I may not have kneaded it enough either....ugh....

Last edited by jennyface; 11-26-2014 at 01:45 PM. Reason: adding something

#4 Old 11-26-2014, 03:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Good luck on your seitan! I never made any either because I can't find vital wheat gluten flour at my supermarket. I saw I could order some from amazon though but it's so pricey! Then again 2 cups make a lot of seitan so maybe in the end the cost is not bad at all. Anyway please keep us updated on your experience and what you learned, that would be helpful for me since I am planning on trying to make some in the following weeks.

"To the world you may be just one person, but to one life you may be the world."

#5 Old 11-26-2014, 04:02 PM

I like Bob's Red Mill:

http://www.amazon.com/Bobs-Red-Mill-...l+wheat+gluten

I bought the package about 2/3 of this size, and used about a quarter of the package. You can use vital wheat gluten for so many things, I could never live without it - it's worth it for this recipe alone: http://www.theppk.com/2010/11/double...ckpea-cutlets/ So delicious!

At any rate, I cut off a little slice and fried it up real quick. Even with the errors I made and the definite resemblance to human brains, it was super tasty - it had a really good flavor (I added some paprika and liquid smoke), and the texture was good. It wasn't too firm and it wasn't too spongey. Next time I'll still be more careful about the boiling, and I won't bring it to a full boil before simmering it, but at least for me the mistakes resulted in really only a cosmetic issue. Roasting it up tomorrow with some vegan stuffing!!

Now the biggest problem is my non-vegan family members - my Dad hates Thanksgiving now just because my Mum and I are vegan, even though she still cooks him a turkey (he bullies her into cooking him meat all the time). It's apparently not enough that we are still all coming together as family. That doesn't matter because we're not all eating the same food. Umm, maybe you could eat our vegan food instead!! ::sigh:: That will never happy, though. My father is anti-vegan, and will never accept it

#6 Old 11-26-2014, 04:15 PM
Veggie Regular

I think the human brains resemblance would be a huge hit with my kid lol. I'll order some Bob's Red Mill soon, really want to try this. I found, to my extreme pleasure, liquid smoke yesterday after years not seeing any in the 3 supermarkets near my home. They have mesquite and hickory flavor, I bought hickory to try it.

Too bad for your dad's attitude, I mean, he can hold true to his omnivore diet without making a fuss about you and your mom being vegan. Thanksgiving is a family around a table thing, who cares who eats what? As long as you are having a good time! That reminds me of that Tofurky thanksgiving dinner where the grandpa was b*tching about tofu not being a real turkey, but at the end of the video he's the one eating second serving lol. Exactly what we were taught as kids, try it before saying you don't like it!
Purp likes this.

"To the world you may be just one person, but to one life you may be the world."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page