16Likes
  • 6 Post By jessandreia
  • 2 Post By LysTheLoneWanderer
  • 2 Post By Plantfoodie
  • 5 Post By River
  • 1 Post By no whey jose

#1 Old 09-24-2014, 07:37 PM

Question Vegan Companies vs. Companies who sell vegan products

Apparently So Delicious, the brand that sells the most delicious coconut ice cream, has recently been bought by WhiteWave Foods, who sells 'premium' dairy products (http://www.whitewave.com/what).

Here is So Delicious' blog post about the news: http://sodeliciousdairyfree.com/blog/91714/

I'm posting this because of a something I read on a Facebook page I follow. Somebody made the point that it would be wrong to give your money to a company owned by another company (however that works, I'm not an expert) that promotes dairy consumption.

I'm torn. I mean, there is supply and demand, so if more people demand plant based dairy alternatives with their money, then they will produce more. However, it does bother me that my money could possibly be going to funding the dairy industry.

What do you all think?

I think for the time being I'm going to look into making my own plant based milks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-24-2014, 08:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Well, they won't get my money because I don't eat ice cream nor drink their milks, but personally, this is one of the things where I draw the line at. When you eat out, do you eat at restaurants that serve meat and dairy? If yes, your money is probably going towards helping the restaurant buying the meat and dairy. Same when you buy food at a grocery store. The demand for plant milks is a lot lower than the demand for dairy, so sometimes totally vegan companies end up not having much revenue and are bought by bigger companies. Sucks, but I'd rather that than not having the option of having those plant milks.
But if it really bothers you that much, sure, go ahead and make your own milk.

Last edited by jessandreia; 09-24-2014 at 08:05 PM.
#3 Old 09-25-2014, 08:27 PM

Never thought about it that way. I still plan on making my own coconut milk for fun, though! I guess I'm just going to have to go under the premise I'm creating more demand for plant based milks.
Purp and fadingstars like this.

#4 Old 03-25-2015, 11:42 AM
Banned

If you want to support a fully vegan company buy Raw Revolution bars!! They are entirely vegan gluten-free organic raw & kosher. Its a small company run by individuals who are super passionate about veganism and nutrition!
Purp and Cyclone T like this.
#5 Old 03-25-2015, 01:00 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

I always think the stance of "They are affiliated with or also produce non-vegan food products, therefore I will not eat them," defeats part of the purpose of being vegan. If you continue to buy the vegan foods offered by non-vegan conglomerates, then you are proving with each purchase that there is a market for vegan products. The more profitable vegan products become the more variety and mainstream, thus the easier it will be for future vegans to transition and the less likely we are to look like food aliens.

So please, keep buying SoDelicious.
Purp, LedBoots, leedsveg and 2 others like this.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
#6 Old 03-25-2015, 06:19 PM
Super Moderator

I agree with River.

One correction, though, OP: Coconut Bliss sells the most delicious coconut ice cream!
Purp likes this.

Tags
company , conflicting , dairy , ethics , so delicious

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page