VeggieBoards banner

Does anyone still sit down and cry?

2K views 22 replies 19 participants last post by  veggie man 
#1 ·
I've been a member here for five years, vegan several years before that. I have devoted my life and a substantial student loan to making this world better for animals.

Yet today I put a film in and the trailer for blackfish came on, and I found myself crying. Still. After all these years.

Does anyone still, after years, get pushed to tears at all these things we have done?

#2 ·
The Blackfish documentary did make me cry.
Interestingly, though, I have more of a thick skin when watching videos of slaughterhouses than some meat eaters. Maybe because I know I'm not contributing to it anymore; although of course I still get really sad when watching those videos. I know someone who claimed he never wanted to be a vegetarian, but would absolutely not watch a video of animal cruelty because they knew they wouldn't be able to stand it.

#3 ·
I don't cry but I'm filled with intense anger for a while after watching animal cruelty videos so I try to avoid them these days. Having strong emotions towards that kind of abuse seems only natural though. It may be good to remind yourself that you're doing what you can to not contribute to it if it's causing a lot of distress. I'm sorry that you felt very sad for a bit.

#5 ·
Yes, I still cry.

And I'm glad I do. It means I feel something for all of this, it means I'm not numb to it. When we're numb to the suffering of others, that's what makes it possible for us to do horrible things (and they did a study on vegetarians and vegans, the empathy parts of our brains light up more than those who eat meat!).

These things take time and I know that's horrible. I know it sucks that it 'just takes time', but that's the way of it. You're doing everything you can to make a difference in the world, so don't feel too disheartened. People do a lot of bad, but we also tend to do a lot of good. Try and find some examples of that as well.

And I hope you're feeling better soon.

#6 ·
I avoid watching those videos, because they're too hard to take, but I cry about it sometimes anyway, because I know what's going on. They say men aren't supposed to cry, but I'm not so sure they're right.

#7 ·
I really like you, Capstan.

I avoid most videos these days as well; I feel like I've earned the right not to watch. I honestly think the hardest thing about being a moderator on VB was that I felt responsibility to view nearly every thing that was posted. It's a relief not to have to anymore! :)

Reactions: River
#8 ·
I like you too, Poppy! :)

#11 ·
I'm with etherea. :)

I feel a deep sorrow for the animals, but get f***ing angry at the people that let this abuse happen. They should be jailed / confined, so they can know what abuse feels like.

These animals should be given the ability to lead a normal & happy life. :)

#10 ·
Yes, you are not alone. I cry too. I still cry over my dog being chained up for years at a time when I was unaware (my teenage years). I am now 64 and still not over the miserable life that poor dog must have had w/o love and affection, watching the world go by, never having the chance to run in the wind. I hate myself.

#14 ·
I let my head rule, not my heart. I am not afraid to front up to individuals of big business who are treating animals inhumanely. I would much rather take action than be reduced to tears!

#15 ·
I don't cry anymore. I used to, a lot, but it's not a bragging right. I feel for these animals, I can imagine their pain, and I hate people for hurting them. I used to be obsessed about it, and it took up most of my thoughts, but I started to ignore it because of how intrusive those thoughts became. I don't ignore the actions I can take to help them, but now I skip over the details.

Reactions: Tom
#17 ·
It's simple.. I do not watch any videos. Yes I am well aware by now that animals have next to none rights or protection. If they are useful they are put into slavery, or fattened up for food, otherwise they are plain ignored to starve and die in the open where the only food they can get is if they carry money bills in their mouth and walk into a departmental store. Oh I forgot the occasional game hunting as well, just so the wild animals are re-assured that even they aren't safe as well.

I've been a vegetarian all my life, only to be asked silly questions like why? How? Do I know what I'm missing out on? Such questions only re-affirm my faith in stupidity/sheer lack of civility. If I were to prod them similarly I know I'd either be mocked or even ostracised. All I can do is hope they realise that because of people with "weird" notions like ours, the world can better understand to live in harmony tomorrow. Its not just about animals, its about people finally learning the symbiotic connection to nature other than sheer exploitation. I admit I'm not strong enough to watch any videos but I will continue to try and show people why we do what we do, and why the world is better off for it.

To err is human. To err every single day based on a false sense of 'dominion' is full-blown lunacy.

#20 ·
I always get really angry watching those documentaries, but no ive never cried.

A while ago we did a topic on factory farming in geography anf while all the meat-eaters were acting all shocked and sad the only veggie in the room wasnt upst by it at all. Find the logic in that.

Of course everybody else was vegetarian for like, a day and then gave into a hamburger the second they left school. XD obviously not everbody thinks that much about what theyre putting into their mouth...

#22 · (Edited)
I bawled my EYES out while watching Blackfish and I couldn't think properly for the whole day and this is before I was vegan! I also sob when I watch slaughterhouse videos, I just can't help it. :-( I'm fine with it and I am a fairly emotional person, but I just tell myself that I am doing all I can to help these animals and it just shows I care!

Edit: I just started watching the Earthlings trailer, and I just paused it about half way through and I realized that there was no point in watching it as it made me cry so much and I already know how horrible people treat other living things who share the earth with us who has as much rights as we do... It's just too much for me to handle and now I figure watching these videos will get me depressed and angry at all of those who are to lazy to get their a$$es up and do research, and find out that what we are doing is NOT okay and there is absolutely NO excuse what so ever for the treatment of these gentle creatures. I will do what I can to help protect life, but watching these videos does not help me... Yes I feel horrible when I watch them, and I suppose it motivates me and helps me pick myself up and open my eyes, but now that I know these things, I have to act and speak up. <3

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.