VeggieBoards banner

bee pollen

738 views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  annabellevegan239 
#1 ·
Hi. So,i found out recently,i've been having bee pollen. I didnt know this until i randomly re-read the can of spirutein i have been drinking for years. Shortly before,i did start to feel like i want to get off the shakes. I have them daily because they're so nutrient rich and help me a lot however i would like to find an efficient way to get nutrients without especially now that i found out bee pollen is in this and also what is bee pollen exactly? I personally don't choose to have honey but this bee pollen thing kinda annoyed me. So,i'm kinda torn because i rely heavily on spirutein to get my nutrients everyday and don't know how exactly to get enough in an efficient and cost effective way without it. To be honest,and hopefully this isn't tooken the wrong way but my passion is more for farm animals and companion animals. So,i am a little less...concerned with sea animals and bugs. It doesn't mean idon't care,i just personally have a bigger passion for the farm animals and companion animals. I would never eat seafood and i always let bugs out for the most part vs killing them but i don't really feel super enraged about the bee industry as much or if someone eats fish as i do compared to seeing someone eat pig.

#2 ·
#4 ·
You can get plenty of nutrition without commercial shakes. If you like smoothies or need them for digestion reasons, you can add ingredients like chia seeds, gound flaxseeds, plant milks, leafy greens, fruits (such as melon, banana, peaches, oranges, apples, berries, kiwi, etc), vegetables (beets, carrots, cucumbers etc), oats or ground almond flour, molasses, pumpkin etc. There are numerous vegan protein powders you could add to your mix.

For commercial vegan "shakes" there are products such as these:

http://www.veganstore.com/product/vega-one-tubs-large/all-vitamins
http://www.veganstore.com/product/1064/labeled-gluten-free
http://shop.orgain.com/VEGAN-Nutritional-Shake--Smooth-Chocolate/p/ORN-003193&c=Orgain@VeganShakes

Personally I think it is cheaper to just eat more whole foods and less designer shakes. Even if you are on the go, you can find great food to start your day. Yesterday I had a mango and a handful of whole almonds. Filled me up for hours. No prep involved other than cutting the mango.

#5 ·
I personally would switch your diet. Look into the pesticides and toxins they found in a wide sampling of bee products in Europe (I think the review came out in April of this year, although I don't remember if it's been peer-reviewed yet). So if the bee pollen you're getting isn't from something like a closed-system greenhouse, you don't know what other chemicals you're getting.

#7 ·
i do feel bad about the original post by the way.i've always been against fishing and whatnot so it's not like i want fishes or bees to die. but,yeah,i am working on switching the spirutein out. I only have a scoop left in the can and am looking for a vegan nutrition powder to have instead.i can probably find one and if not,i'll figure it out. not a big deal.

#8 ·
also,when first going vegan i only thought about eggs,cheese,and milk and was focused on making this as easily and me as possible. i know some vegans are more extreme but i want to make sure i follow what is me. So,i'm actually proud of myself,it's only two months in,and as time goes on i can expand and make more changes here and there. For example,right now i'm loving soups. I think i'm going to bake my first vegan desert sometime soon,too just to see how it goes. So,that is nice. At first my diet was much more more simple and i was ok with it but now i am finding more and more options and that is amazing. It reminds me of less is more quote and elegance is refusal quote,too. When we give up things and simplify,we can find more and different things.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.