VeggieBoards banner

Adventurism in the Kitchen

1K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  LedBoots 
#1 ·
I've found that since going vegan, I'm a lot more adventurous in the kitchen. I'm always trying out new recipes, and making stuff up as I go. It results in me eating a lot of what my boyfriend calls "weird vegan food," but hey, some of it's really yummy!

For example, I'm getting ready to go out of town for a few days and had some stuff in the fridge that needed used up. I tossed it all together and threw it on some crackers and ended up with this olive appetizer: Crackers topped with tomato paste, vegan sour cream, and olives stuffed with jalapeno. (We buy tomato paste in cans, and I almost never need the whole can's worth before it needs thrown out, so I usually just eat it on crackers. I'm a bit strange, I know) It turned out to be really good, if you happen to like eating tomato paste.

Do any of you guys do stuff like this? I've always been one of those people who will eat almost anything, and I get bored really easy with food, so I think that's why I end up making stuff like this.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Oh yes! As much as I've always loved experimenting with food, meat really never seemed to lend itself to such creativity. Quite frankly, animals that need to eat meat aren't don't have kitchens.
Food has become a major hobby for me, and if I cooked like this as an omnivore I'd have a serious problem!

Gotta share my favorite tip on tomato paste. Spread it out in a ziploc bag and divide it into maybe tablespoon sections and keep in the freezer. I used to just leave small amounts out of recipes but now I can take out as much as I need. Or you could use ice cube trays- I always hear good tips on using those for freezing portions.

#3 ·
I find in a strange way boundaries can make you more creative. I've gotten really good at whipping up delicious meals from just a few random ingredients I find in my kitchen, I am also a lot more bold with flavour combinations and put things together I wouldn't have thought of before. For example Sriracha and peanut butter are really delicious on toast. :drool:

Reactions: Crochetlove
#5 ·
I made a mixed grain/rice/vegetable stir fry. I made it asian style with some soy sauce and sesame oil and such, but for some reason it popped into my head that a little cinnamon would be good...and it was. Quite good.

I think it's just that you tend to cook more when you're vegan so you become better.

#6 · (Edited)
Some times I do the classic bruschetta appetizer is a very popolary in Italy.Break the ​​bread in slices , and cook in the oven for 5 to 10 minutes maximum just gets a little crunchy; cut small slices of tomato, add basil and olive oil and put it all on the bread cooked.The result you get is very good
Seach on Google: bruschetta to see how it is done

#7 ·
Some times I do the classic bruschetta appetizer is a very popolary in Italy.Break the bread in slices , and cook in the oven for 5 to 10 minutes maximum just gets a little crunchy; cut small slices of tomato, add basil and olive oil and put it all on the bread cooked.The result you get is very good
Seach on Google: bruschetta to see how it is done
OK....now I'm hungry!!! :lick:

#8 ·
I've found that since going vegan, I'm a lot more adventurous in the kitchen. I'm always trying out new recipes, and making stuff up as I go. It results in me eating a lot of what my boyfriend calls "weird vegan food," but hey, some of it's really yummy!

For example, I'm getting ready to go out of town for a few days and had some stuff in the fridge that needed used up. I tossed it all together and threw it on some crackers and ended up with this olive appetizer: Crackers topped with tomato paste, vegan sour cream, and olives stuffed with jalapeno. (We buy tomato paste in cans, and I almost never need the whole can's worth before it needs thrown out, so I usually just eat it on crackers. I'm a bit strange, I know) It turned out to be really good, if you happen to like eating tomato paste.

Do any of you guys do stuff like this? I've always been one of those people who will eat almost anything, and I get bored really easy with food, so I think that's why I end up making stuff like this.
I can also "whip up" a lot of stuff from scratch, after going vegan.

It's pretty cool. :sunny:

Your photo made me hungry!! :lick:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.