Animal Protein & Dairy Healthy? - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By kallyho

#1 Old 06-10-2014, 01:08 PM

Animal Protein & Dairy Healthy?

I've been a vegetarian since January 2014, and have recently nixed dairy and eggs from my diet. I've been doing tons of research, because I want to know what the healthiest foods are.

I have read a lot about how animal products are bad for you, and have also ready plenty of things stating the opposite is true. I've read Skinny ***** and The China Study. along with many online articles.

My question is: are animal products as bad for your health as some studies suggest? Is milk bad for your bones? Is all animal protein equally detrimental? Or do you think that animal products can be healthy?

I AM VEGAN. Don't get me wrong. I do it for reasons other than health. But it would be nice to have solid evidence against eating animal products when talking with my loved ones. And I am always finding evidence for both sides. From what I have read, I am pretty convinced that food companies have been lying to us about animal products being healthy for your body. But I would like other opinions, so as to not be biased in my own opinion.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-10-2014, 04:33 PM
Don't Eat Animals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiki23 View Post
I've been a vegetarian since January 2014, and have recently nixed dairy and eggs from my diet. I've been doing tons of research, because I want to know what the healthiest foods are.

I have read a lot about how animal products are bad for you, and have also ready plenty of things stating the opposite is true. I've read Skinny ***** and The China Study. along with many online articles.

My question is: are animal products as bad for your health as some studies suggest? Is milk bad for your bones? Is all animal protein equally detrimental? Or do you think that animal products can be healthy?

I AM VEGAN. Don't get me wrong. I do it for reasons other than health. But it would be nice to have solid evidence against eating animal products when talking with my loved ones. And I am always finding evidence for both sides. From what I have read, I am pretty convinced that food companies have been lying to us about animal products being healthy for your body. But I would like other opinions, so as to not be biased in my own opinion.

Thanks!
I was in the EXACT SAME PLACE.....kind of.

I was a veg*n, but ate eggs & cheese. I had a subliminal problem with it, tho.

From a practical & animal rights standpoint I decided to quit everything & go vegan. Soon after, I read Dr. E's book about heart disease. If you never read any other book, read this one. I adopted the "diet" (vegan plus, if you will), and feel great. I also read another book...BETTER THAN VEGAN, that explains how you can be vegan, and eat a real crappy diet.

So, I stopped the processed stuff, & ate like Dr. E suggested. My blood work was great. The HSCRP test that Dr. E suggests was reeeal low.....(a better indicator of heart attack than just cholesterol levels).

Anyway, READ DR. E's BOOK!!!! Animal products are HORRIBLE for you. The CHINA STUDY states that. Watch FORKS OVER KNIVES if you need a video presentation of the same info. Massive amounts of chemicals, pesticides, etc.

Calcium? COW'S MILK WAS MADE FOR......wait for it......BABY COWS. Sorry, but this just kills me....literally. What species drinks the milk of another species? No, really? Do bears drink ostrich milk? NO, OF COURSE NOT. THE ONLY REASON PEOPLE DRINK COW'S MILK IS BECUZ OF THE GIANT DAIRY LOBBYISTS. PERIOD. There are plenty of other sources of protein on a vegan diet. (See below). It's all about profits & making money.

The CEOs of the major food companies are now running the FDA & other Government Agencies that.......ADVISE YOU ON FOOD CHOICES, (like the food pyramid). It's all a scam....they want your money & don't care about your health. The drug companies will clean up on that......until you need that bypass. Then the surgeon gets paid.

EAT VEGAN AND TAKE BACK YOUR HEALTH!!!!!!

I am not a doctor, and have had no medical training. I have, however, read over 30 books, and seen 20+ videos on the vegan / veg*n lifestyle. It's real simple...read the comments above. READ Dr. E's BOOK. It's like a vegan plus lifestyle. The standard US diet is crap & is controlled by major food corporations, who also control the Gov't Agencies.

Sorry for the rant, but I'm passionate about a healthy diet that is actually GOOD for people. Do your own research & make your own decision. ALL ANIMAL PRODUCTS ARE BAD FOR YOU.
I want everyone to read Dr. E's book.....I feel like it's a mandatory read for vegans.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	404633_368695753215227_1409828774_n.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	110.4 KB
ID:	2129  
Attached Images

All animals should be respected & should have the ability to lead a natural & enjoyable life. This means not eating them, or abusing them in any way.
#3 Old 06-10-2014, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofuvegman View Post
I was in the EXACT SAME PLACE.....kind of.

I was a veg*n, but ate eggs & cheese. I had a subliminal problem with it, tho.

From a practical & animal rights standpoint I decided to quit everything & go vegan. Soon after, I read Dr. E's book about heart disease. If you never read any other book, read this one. I adopted the "diet" (vegan plus, if you will), and feel great. I also read another book...BETTER THAN VEGAN, that explains how you can be vegan, and eat a real crappy diet.

So, I stopped the processed stuff, & ate like Dr. E suggested. My blood work was great. The HSCRP test that Dr. E suggests was reeeal low.....(a better indicator of heart attack than just cholesterol levels).

Anyway, READ DR. E's BOOK!!!! Animal products are HORRIBLE for you. The CHINA STUDY states that. Watch FORKS OVER KNIVES if you need a video presentation of the same info. Massive amounts of chemicals, pesticides, etc.

Calcium? COW'S MILK WAS MADE FOR......wait for it......BABY COWS. Sorry, but this just kills me....literally. What species drinks the milk of another species? No, really? Do bears drink ostrich milk? NO, OF COURSE NOT. THE ONLY REASON PEOPLE DRINK COW'S MILK IS BECUZ OF THE GIANT DAIRY LOBBYISTS. PERIOD. There are plenty of other sources of protein on a vegan diet. (See below). It's all about profits & making money.

The CEOs of the major food companies are now running the FDA & other Government Agencies that.......ADVISE YOU ON FOOD CHOICES, (like the food pyramid). It's all a scam....they want your money & don't care about your health. The drug companies will clean up on that......until you need that bypass. Then the surgeon gets paid.

EAT VEGAN AND TAKE BACK YOUR HEALTH!!!!!!

I am not a doctor, and have had no medical training. I have, however, read over 30 books, and seen 20+ videos on the vegan / veg*n lifestyle. It's real simple...read the comments above. READ Dr. E's BOOK. It's like a vegan plus lifestyle. The standard US diet is crap & is controlled by major food corporations, who also control the Gov't Agencies.

Sorry for the rant, but I'm passionate about a healthy diet that is actually GOOD for people. Do your own research & make your own decision. ALL ANIMAL PRODUCTS ARE BAD FOR YOU.
I want everyone to read Dr. E's book.....I feel like it's a mandatory read for vegans.
I've actually been wanting to read that book, it will definitely be my next read. For me, I am convicted that the healthiest way to live is without animal products. Better for your health and better for the environment.

What is becoming increasingly difficult for me is watching my family and friends consume these foods when I know what it is doing to their bodies. I watch my sister feeding her one year old son milk every day, along with countless other awful "food" products, and it kills me.

The problem is that this is such a controversial topic, and I am at a loss for what to do. How do you convince someone that food they have believed to be healthy their whole lives is actually POISON? A lot of people try to get into arguments with me about this, and I tell them to do what they want, and let me do what I want. No one wants to be preached to, so I do not preach. All I can do is hope that they see how this diet benefits me, and eventually want to jump on the band wagon.

SO FRUSTRATING!!!

#4 Old 06-10-2014, 09:01 PM

I have read so many books about the benefits of plant based diets. Now here is the thing, there are lots of other books about the benefits of paleo, or low carb or grapefruit diet, or rich fatty foods diet.

You will know what seems right to you. Look at the arguments, look at the writers, look at their lives and look at what they have to gain from promoting what they do.

Robbins, Esselstyn, Campbell, McDougall - all strike me as real people, smart people, people who have spent a lifetime trying to figure this out.,

I have a chronic condition that practically goes away when i stay on a low sat fat plant-based diet. That is all I need to know. See how you feel. The information is all out there and we come to it bit by bit.

Have faith in your instincts, eat a proper whole food diet and I think you will be just right.
#5 Old 06-10-2014, 09:04 PM

kiki23

I just don't believe you can convince anyone to do anything about their food until they are ready.

Relax, be healthy, eat well and serve as a role model. The hardest thing I have to keep in mind is that I have to respect other people's choices if I want them to respect mine.

We can only really change ourselves and tell our own story. But not to people who are unwilling to listen. Go find a place where people will listen to ou and where they will keep an open mind.

Good luck.

Quote:
I've actually been wanting to read that book, it will definitely be my next read. For me, I am convicted that the healthiest way to live is without animal products. Better for your health and better for the environment.

What is becoming increasingly difficult for me is watching my family and friends consume these foods when I know what it is doing to their bodies. I watch my sister feeding her one year old son milk every day, along with countless other awful "food" products, and it kills me.

The problem is that this is such a controversial topic, and I am at a loss for what to do. How do you convince someone that food they have believed to be healthy their whole lives is actually POISON? A lot of people try to get into arguments with me about this, and I tell them to do what they want, and let me do what I want. No one wants to be preached to, so I do not preach. All I can do is hope that they see how this diet benefits me, and eventually want to jump on the band wagon.

SO FRUSTRATING!!!
LedBoots likes this.
#6 Old 06-12-2014, 04:10 AM

Quote:
My question is: are animal products as bad for your health as some studies suggest? Is milk bad for your bones?
The Harvard Nurses Health Study showed that consumption of dairy products actually increased the risk of bone fractures (75,000+ women over 12 years). This is because animal products are naturally acidic, so the body actually takes calcium out of our bones to neutralise the acidity, which is then lost as waste. This helps to explain why the countries with the highest calcium/dairy intake have the highest levels of oesteoporosis.

Milk contains insulin-like growth factor 1 (IGF-1), which is linked to abnormal growth and cancers. It is loaded with hormones and other growth factors, not surprising when you consider its purpose - feeding and growing infant calves. It also contains saturated fat - that's the bad one, linked to heart disease and a range of chronic illnesses. So no I don't think dairy is healthy at all.

I know it can be confusing as we are told different things at different times and conventional wisdom conflicts with modern research, but at least we always have our common sense to consider questions such as, why are humans the only animals to continue to drink milk after weaning and even into adulthood? Or even why are we the only animals to drink the milk of another species? Does that seem natural? Does that seem like it would be good for us? We need a new paradigm that lets us question our traditional ingrained practices, and to ask why when we eat more animal products than ever before do we have so many chronic diseases and illnesses that afflict us.

I highly recommend the book Rethink Food: 100+ Doctors Can't Be Wrong, which was published a couple of months ago. http://www.amazon.com/Rethink-Food-D...s=rethink+food

It's a brilliant book that covers pretty much any kind of chronic disease you can imagine from the likes of Dr. Esselstyn and other medical professionals. Much of the scientific data I have shared comes from that book.

All the best

“We need another and a wiser and perhaps a more mystical concept of animals...They are not brethren, they are not underlings: they are other nations, caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendour and travail of the earth.” - Henry Beston, The Outermost House

Tags
animal products , dairy , eggs , milk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page