poo - VeggieBoards - A Vegetarian Community
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-03-2014, 02:08 PM
Beginner

I know it is not the best table talk, but ever since I went vegan I have been having the most glorious poos ever! Before making the change... constipation city, now wham-bam thank you mam! Just thought I would share my gross, but wonderful, revelation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-03-2014, 03:05 PM
Oryzatarian

Vegans really are #1 at number 2 :)

Aristede likes this.
#3 Old 02-03-2014, 03:20 PM
Beginner

Your stool thanks your for your generosity 

sorry i just had to 

this is a very sensitive topic 

#4 Old 02-03-2014, 03:27 PM
Beginner

Vegan here I #1 more than #2 don't know just how it is o.O
#5 Old 02-03-2014, 03:40 PM
Beginner

I thought i would share some info 

bristol-stool-chart-1.jpg poop_snake_by_danb0-d5e8bac.jpg 

POOP SNAKE lol

Aristede and beanspud like this.

#6 Old 02-03-2014, 03:49 PM
Beginner

Omg! Poop snake kills! I'm dying here lol.
#7 Old 02-03-2014, 06:50 PM
Beginner

Omg they should put out a warning on how your bowels will change when going vegan/ vegetarian. I have been a vegetarian for exactly 1 month today.I'm  Transitioning to vegan just using up the last last of my non vegan foods kicking around. As an omni i went maybe 1 time per day. Sometimes it was even once every 2 days. Now im going 4 times a day and its crazy. Im really hoping my waste elimination doesnt increase anymore when im 100% vegan because damn. So not used to this. And im like in and out in 30 seconds. I keep forgetting i dont need to bring in reading materials anymore lol. 

#8 Old 02-03-2014, 08:15 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellephants3 View Post

Omg they should put out a warning on how your bowels will change when going vegan/ vegetarian. I have been a vegetarian for exactly 1 month today.I'm  Transitioning to vegan just using up the last last of my non vegan foods kicking around. As an omni i went maybe 1 time per day. Sometimes it was even once every 2 days. Now im going 4 times a day and its crazy. Im really hoping my waste elimination doesnt increase anymore when im 100% vegan because damn. So not used to this. And im like in and out in 30 seconds. I keep forgetting i dont need to bring in reading materials anymore lol. 

To reduce frequency of pooping, eat larger meals and avoid snacks in between.  Also, try to hold it if you can... eventually you'll get better at it and the urge will be easier to blow off until later.  Failing to poop when your bowels demand it usually won't cause your colon to explode and lead to death from bacterial sepsis.

It's not unheard of to poop ten times a day if you're snacking a lot and eating a lot of fiber.

#9 Old 02-03-2014, 08:47 PM
Beginner

So far, I am enjoying the eliminations, haha. It feels like I've kick started the digestive system and am getting rid of all the pre-vegan crap... sorry, I had to.
#10 Old 02-04-2014, 03:40 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kale Dog View Post

I thought i would share some info 

bristol-stool-chart-1.jpg 

Lol this reminds me of when I used to do elderly care work. We had to record bowl movements and number them from a chart like this .... Oh the fun

#11 Old 02-04-2014, 11:29 AM
Beginner

thanks  I will need to know this cause Im doing the 30 Vegan Challenge.

my blog: http://cassandra43.livejournal.com/
#12 Old 02-04-2014, 01:01 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandiculationco View Post

To reduce frequency of pooping, eat larger meals and avoid snacks in between.  Also, try to hold it if you can... eventually you'll get better at it and the urge will be easier to blow off until later.  Failing to poop when your bowels demand it usually won't cause your colon to explode and lead to death from bacterial sepsis.

It's not unheard of to poop ten times a day if you're snacking a lot and eating a lot of fiber.
Quote:

Wait so is it bad to go that much? It's not causing me pain or discomfort. It's mainly I'm just not used to going so frequently . I would rather not hold it in. That causes me cramping. Im also totally a grazer. I cant do the large meal thing. It makes me feel yucky. I prefer to do 6 small meals then 3 main big meals. So unless its dangerous? I would rather just get used to it. Then try and stop it.
#13 Old 02-04-2014, 01:02 PM
Beginner

Oops sorry didnt mean to double quote you!
#14 Old 02-04-2014, 01:07 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellephants3 View Post

Wait so is it bad to go that much? It's not causing me pain or discomfort. It's mainly I'm just not used to going so frequently . I would rather not hold it in. That causes me cramping. Im also totally a grazer. I cant do the large meal thing. It makes me feel yucky. I prefer to do 6 small meals then 3 main big meals. So unless its dangerous? I would rather just get used to it. Then try and stop it.

No, it's not bad.  It's perfectly fine.

It can be, however, inconvenient.  What if you're out of the house, or you're busy doing something and don't really want to poop *right now*?

Though you probably spend less overall time in the bathroom than an omnivore, the frequent trips can be annoying.

#15 Old 02-04-2014, 01:26 PM
Beginner

And drinking tons of water makes the "business" even more frequent.
#16 Old 02-04-2014, 01:37 PM
Beginner

I have the opposite problem o.O like I don't go for days .... most of my bathroom time is spent many trips to do #1 is that bad? I drink a lot of water, tea, smoothies and I'm afraid somethings wrong with me because when I do its barely nothing like what I see posted here Lol
#17 Old 02-04-2014, 01:41 PM
Beginner

I'm a 2 time a day type of guy and they are always of the type 4 on the Bristol chart variety. I also probably pee about 10-15 times a day as I drink a lot of water!

I work with people that pee twice a day and poo every other day. Can you imagine their insides.
#18 Old 02-04-2014, 05:55 PM
Beginner

Quote:

No, it's not bad.  It's perfectly fine.

It can be, however, inconvenient.  What if you're out of the house, or you're busy doing something and don't really want to poop *right now*?

Though you probably spend less overall time in the bathroom than an omnivore, the frequent trips can be annoying.

oh ok thank you! 

#19 Old 02-04-2014, 07:34 PM
Oryzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyboy85 View Post

I work with people that pee twice a day and poo every other day. Can you imagine their insides.

My aunt eats almost nothing but meat, she frequently goes as long as 10 days without a bowel movement, sometimes 14 days. When the dam finally breaks it fills the toilet and she has to call the plumber, she sometimes has to cancel trips out of town because she wasnt able to use the toilet first.

Compared to that 10 times a day wouldnt be so bad.

I eat a snack for breakfast and a huge ~1900 calorie meal for supper, and thats it.

I go once a day, after morning coffee, like clockwork.

#20 Old 02-04-2014, 07:46 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auxin View Post

My aunt eats almost nothing but meat, she frequently goes as long as 10 days without a bowel movement, sometimes 14 days. When the dam finally breaks it fills the toilet and she has to call the plumber, she sometimes has to cancel trips out
of town because she wasn't able to use the toilet first.

My word!
#21 Old 02-04-2014, 11:26 PM
Beginner

Quote:

I eat a snack for breakfast and a huge ~1900 calorie meal for supper, and thats it.

I go once a day, after morning coffee, like clockwork.

Yep, that'll do it.

Once a day is very convenient.  Although grazing is arguably more healthy, it's an important trade off to consider.

#22 Old 02-05-2014, 02:06 AM
Vegan since February 2011

I go once a day usually, around the same time, occasionally twice, and it's quite healthy.  :o  I can't remember ever being constipated since being vegan, three years this month.  Years ago as an omnivore I was diagnosed with IBS (which turned out to be a wrong diagnosis) and told to eat a bland diet which was devoid of much roughage and full of bleached white processed food.  That coupled with being on an anti depressant at that time that stopped up my bowels, and it was a recipe for disaster.  I kid you not I went two weeks at a time without a bowel movement.  I would be in such agony, because I also unknowingly at the time had endometriosis lesions on my colon (later confirmed with a laparoscopy) so when hard stool did pass through the stretching was murder.  I would throw up with the pain.  I had to wear baggy pants all the time because of the terrible bloat.  The only time I had the opposite problem, diarrhea, was when I consumed dairy, which also caused sinus congestion and cramping pain.  My diet is so completely opposite of all that now.  

"The needs are great. But we can all do small things, with great love, and together we can do something wonderful."
- Mother Teresa
#23 Old 02-05-2014, 06:18 PM
Beginner

it's just the fiber and in my experience most vegans take a year or two to adjust. (i suspect that high fiber diets cause a change in gut microflora that eventually results in more efficient metabolism of fiber.)

#24 Old 02-05-2014, 08:02 PM
Super Moderator

I can say that after adopting a more plant-based diet, my bathroom reading has been substantially reduced! I feel better too and my body responds better. It's a win-win, I'd aver.

Aristede:book:

"Now listen, I know you've got to think about your image, 'cause image is important to you, because of course your friends are gonna dictate your actions through the rest of your lives, and I wouldn't want you to step away from them and become an individual, that would almost be too much!"...

#25 Old 02-05-2014, 08:22 PM
Oryzatarian

The question is, can vegan poop be used to grow mushrooms?

That would make us even more fuel efficient.

Anyone have a Pleurotus culture and a sense of adventure?

#26 Old 02-06-2014, 11:04 AM
Beginner

Quote:

The question is, can vegan poop be used to grow mushrooms?

That would make us even more fuel efficient.

Anyone have a Pleurotus culture and a sense of adventure?

biosolids are widely used in agriculture.

#27 Old 02-18-2014, 12:35 AM
Beginner

Okay, so I decided not to make a new thread for my question. Here it goes. May be a bit gross.

In the last few months I've upped my intake of greens quite a bit. Mi mission right now is to take care of my body as good as I can, although I sometimes fall off the wagon. Well, since I started eating more greens, my poo has turned greenish. Does anyone else experience this? My digestion is great and regular. I also feel better in my stomach than ever before.

I wouldn't say that I eat excessive amounts of greens. I eat maybe three handfuls of mixed greens in a breakfast smoothie, and other mixed greens and/or kale with lunch and dinner.

#28 Old 02-18-2014, 12:50 AM
Super Moderator

Yes, I think it's the greens you are eating - the chlorophyll.

http://www.livescience.com/39863-why-is-my-poop-green.html

I remember the first time I ate a family-sized bag of veggie crisps which were mainly beet.  I seriously panicked the next morning when everything that came out of me was bright red!

Avatar by http://leelab.deviantart.com/ "Sugar Skull Two", permission for use obtained from artist
#29 Old 02-18-2014, 01:07 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet-Vegan View Post

Yes, I think it's the greens you are eating - the chlorophyll.

http://www.livescience.com/39863-why-is-my-poop-green.html

I remember the first time I ate a family-sized bag of veggie crisps which were mainly beet.  I seriously panicked the next morning when everything that came out of me was bright red!

I've experienced the beet thing too. Weird!

I also think it's the chlorophyll, but since no one's talking about green poo like it's "normal", I'm a bit concerned. I will continue eating like this for the rest of my life = my poo will be green for the rest of my life. I figured other people must have greenish poo too since I'm not eating that many greens. I really don't want to ask a doctor, I'm afraid of them. Silly, I know.

#30 Old 02-18-2014, 01:21 AM
Super Moderator

You could experiment by not eating greens for a day or two and see if that affects the colour of your poop.  If it stops being green then it was definitely the chlorophyll :)

Avatar by http://leelab.deviantart.com/ "Sugar Skull Two", permission for use obtained from artist

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page