Now Out: "Becoming Vegan: Express Edition" - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-08-2013, 08:36 AM
Beginner

51ebNJ298uL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Brenda Davis (RD), a registered dietician with impressive credentials has updated her book "Becoming Vegan" and made an express edition that is now out

A larger, fully referenced Comprehensive Edition will be out in the new year (likely February or March).

Davis is a thorough researcher and sticks to solid science. You can trust what she writes.

Aristede likes this.

My Blog: beforewisdom.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-08-2013, 04:19 PM
Super Moderator

I have Becoming Vegetarian and it's an excellent book. I've read that book a couple of times and still find something new to learn each time I pick it up. It's all about a refinement of ideas and synthesizing information for me. I checked out Becoming Vegan at a bookstore, but have yet to buy it. I think I will wait until the comprehensive edition comes out as you've indicated. Brenda Davis and Vesanto Melina are well-versed and, I agree, their research can be trusted (and has been for many years by countless readers).

Aristede:book: 

"Now listen, I know you've got to think about your image, 'cause image is important to you, because of course your friends are gonna dictate your actions through the rest of your lives, and I wouldn't want you to step away from them and become an individual, that would almost be too much!"...

#3 Old 10-09-2013, 02:44 AM
Vegan since February 2011

I have the original version of this book and bought it when I became vegan in February 2011.  It was probably THE most helpful vegan nutrition book I read and really gave me the tools I needed to transition to and eat a well balanced vegan diet and feel confident about it.  I love that Brenda Davis backs up what she says with science and research and cites the studies.  She also does not follow/worship or push any particular type of vegan diet but looks at the overall picture.  And the book provides advice and samples of menus for various populations such as the elderly, athletes, teenagers, and pregnant women.  I recommend her work to new vegans all the time.  Thanks for mentioning the new version!

Aristede likes this.

"The needs are great. But we can all do small things, with great love, and together we can do something wonderful."
- Mother Teresa

https://www.flickr.com/photos/elaine...7626760806046/
#4 Old 10-09-2013, 02:56 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturebound View Post

I love that Brenda Davis backs up what she says with science and research and cites the studies.  She also does not follow/worship or push any particular type of vegan diet but looks at the overall picture.

I agree. I would also add that it's hard to find vegan nutritional advice that is not agenda-driven. IMO, Davis and Melina do very good work.

Aristede likes this.
#5 Old 10-10-2013, 01:56 PM
Bracing for snow

No electronic edition?

Ken
#6 Old 10-10-2013, 01:59 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilikekale View Post

No electronic edition?

Ken

Well, this is the express edition, so maybe the electronic version will come out with the comprehensive edition. I know that the last edition has a Kindle version

"Now listen, I know you've got to think about your image, 'cause image is important to you, because of course your friends are gonna dictate your actions through the rest of your lives, and I wouldn't want you to step away from them and become an individual, that would almost be too much!"...

#7 Old 10-10-2013, 02:06 PM
Bracing for snow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aristede View Post

Well, this is the express edition, so maybe the electronic version will come out with the comprehensive edition. I know that the last edition has a Kindle version

Good thought.

Ken
#8 Old 10-30-2013, 12:57 PM
Bracing for snow

So I picked this up at B&N a week or so ago (paperback) Finished it last night. Excellent book. Lots of good solid science. No fluff. No "whacko" theories. VERY well written.

I highly recommend this book for anyone looking to understand the science of vegan nutrition.

Ken

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page