VeggieBoards banner

looking for a vegan prayer....

9K views 15 replies 14 participants last post by  Francia 
#1 ·
I am looking for a vegan prayer (non-denominational) to honor/appreciate my vegan food and pray for all animals.

Reactions: Purp
#2 ·
I don't think you need one, but if it makes you feel better, maybe you can create one? :) It may be more sentimental for you that way. And heck if it's really good and you pred it around, other vegans may use it too ^_^ I don't really do prayers but I like the simple phrase of "may all that have life be delivered from suffering." ~ Schopenhauer, Arthur

#4 ·
Hear our humble prayer, O God,
for our friends the animals, especially for animals who are suffering; for animals that are overworked, underfed and cruelly treated; for all wistful creatures in captivity that beat their wings against bars; for any that are hunted or lost or deserted or frightened or hungry; for all that must be put to death.We entreat for them all Thy mercy and pity, and for those who deal with them we ask a heart of compassion and gentle hands and kindly words. Make us, ourselves, to be true friends to animals, and so to share the blessings of the merciful.
Author - Albert Schweitzer

#6 ·
Here is a prayer I wrote as part of a liturgy for animal baptism:

Quote:
God of the universe,

All creatures praise you;

The sun setting on the lake;

The birds flying upward towards the heavens;

The growl of the bear;

The darting of the stickleback;

The purring of the cat;

The wide eyes of the tiger;

The swift legs of the cheetah;

The dance of the hare;

The lapping of the dog;

The descent of the dove.

God of a thousand ears

The music of your creatures

Resounds throughout creation

And in heaven a symphony is made.

Christ in all things:

In the waves breaking on the shore;

In the beauty of the sunset;

In the fragrant blossom of spring;

In the music that makes our hearts dance;

In the kisses of embracing love;

In the cries of the innocent.

Forgive us, O Lord, our endless arrogance,

Our boundless hubris

And pontificating haughtiness.

Forgive us the factory farms,

The denuding of the forests,

The pollution of rivers and lakes,

The poisoning of the air,

The cries of the slaughtered.

O Lord, our love is lost without you,

For we desire that which is not proper

And our wills are led by that which destroys all things.

Help us to wonder, Lord,

To stand in awe;

To stand and stare;

And so praise you for the richness of the world

You have laid before us.

Large and immense God,

Help us to know the littleness

Of our lives without you;

The littleness of our thoughts

Without your inspiration;

And the littleness of our hearts

Without your love;

You are God beyond our littleness

Yet in one tiny space and time

You became one with us

And all those specks of dust

You love for all eternity;

Enlarge our hearts and minds

To reverence all things

And in our care for them

To become big with your grace

And signs of your Kingdom. Amen.

#7 ·
This is a good one:

Quote:
A Prayer for Humans on Behalf of Animals

My hope is that we can navigate through this world with the grace and integrity of those who need our protection. May we have the sense of humor and liveliness of the goats; may we have the maternal instincts and protective nature of the hens and the sassiness of the roosters. May we have the gentleness and strength of the cattle, and the wisdom, humility, and serenity of the donkeys. May we appreciate the need for community as do the sheep and choose our companions as carefully as do the rabbits. May we have the faithfulness and commitment to family of the geese, the adaptability and affability of the ducks. May we have the intelligence, loyalty, and affection of the pigs and the inquisitiveness, sensitivity, and playfulness of the turkeys.

My hope is that we learn from the animals what we need to become better people.
~Colleen Patrick-Goudreau
Found here: http://www.compassionatecook.com/colleens-animal-prayer

#8 ·
As part of that liturgy we read a Coptic Gospel Fragment for the Gospel which reads as follows:

Quote:

It happened that the Lord left the city and walked with his disciples over the mountains. And they came to a mountain, and the road which led up it was steep. There they found a man with a pack-mule. But the animal had fallen, because the man had loaded it too heavily, and now he beat it, so that it was bleeding. And Jesus came to him and said, 'Man, why do you beat your animal? Do you not see that it is too weak for its burden, and do you not know that it suffers pains?' But the man answered and said, 'What is that to you? I may beat it as much as I please, since it is my property, and I bought it for a good sum of money. Ask those who are with you, for they know me and they know about this.' And some of the disciples said, 'Yes, Lord, it is as he says. We have seen how he bought it.' But they Lord said, 'Do you then not see how it bleeds, and do you not hear how it groans and cries out?' But they answered and said, 'No, Lord, that it groans and cries out, we do not hear.' But Jesus was sad and exclaimed, 'Woe to you, that you do not hear how it complains to the Creator in heaven and cries out for mercy. But threefold woes to him about whom it cries out and complains in its pain.' And he came up and touched the animal. And it stood up and its wounds were healed. But Jesus said to the man, 'Now carry on and from now on do not beat it any more, so that you too may find mercy.'

I love this story! It should be in the Bible!

#9 ·
This one is in praise of nature, in general.

Quote:
YOKE.

SING unto Him, O ye mountains; and send unto Him the sound of rippling waters, O ye valleys!

And all ye singing winds of heaven! Ye whistling wind, on the high mountains, and thou whispering breeze on the plain!

Praise Him, thou lightning, and thou peal of thunder! Rend ye the air of heaven in Jehovih's praise!

Sing to Him, thou surging river, and thou moaning sea of waters! He playeth as on the harp, with the dumb elements.

His strains are mighty! His tunes are the hum and whir of falling waters. Sing to Jehovih, O ye great water-falls!

Chant ye everlastingly, and write His name in the bow that perisheth not, forever.

He that tuneth the forests to sing in the clouds; that stringeth His instrument with hemlock and pine and cedar.

Who maketh the forests beat time to His strains. Praise ye Jehovih, forever and ever.

#11 ·
Vegan Prayer

Lord of the forest and field, Lady of the starlit night,I acknowledge the truth that for me to live, something must die.I give thanks for the gift of free will,And I acknowledge the responsibility that comes with the freedom of choice.I choose then to abstain from the cycle of unnecessary suffering.I pledge to be an agent of healing, not a bystander to slaughter.I say to the animals:You do not have to suffer and die for me.I say to the workers:You do not have to kill for me.I say to the corporate death machine:You will no longer profit from my blindness.I say to the Earth, and to all that is holy,That though we are taught to feast upon war,I choose to lay down the swordAnd take in peace instead.I ally myself with Nature, not as her master, but as her child.I will not claim dominion over that which is wiser than I.Lord of the forest and field, Lady of the starlit night,May compassion fulfill and transform meMay I give as You give, may I love as You loveAnd may my choices bring grace to my lifeAs You bring grace to the world. So mote it be.

#12 · (Edited)
If there's a little place in your heart for Buddhism, you can meditate on the Guan Shi Yin Bodhisattva, the goddess of compassion. I'm agnostic, but Guan Shi Yin is important to me. She is also known as Quan Yin, Kwan Yin, Kannon, and Avalokiteshvara (depending on which part of Asia).

Her name literally means "hearing the cries of the world". The stories say that her compassion is infinite, and that she can assume the form of any living being, of either gender, in order to help those who suffer. Most Asian vegetarian restaurants will have a painting or statue of Guan Shi Yin (if you're at any Asian restaurant, and there's a statue of a woman holding a narrow bottle, it's her).

#13 ·
(Found this.... guess it's been used quite often... and no mention of any deity!) :)

Vegan Thanksgiving Prayer

Tonight we give thanks for the many lives that have contributed to our lives. We also ask for forgiveness from the living beings that we have harmed, intentionally and unintentionally in our food and in other activities of our life.

We give thanks for this vegan meal and the people who have labored to harvest, process, transport and prepare this meal for us. We thank all of our teachers in ancient and modern times who have taught us lessons beneficial for life.

We are grateful for our health and the opportunity to eat with others on this day. We aspire, with compassionate hearts, to use the energy that we gain from this meal and our friends to contribute to the peace and happiness of all living beings.

We hope that all the people of the world will avoid inflicting harm on animals and practice nonviolence and compassion. We express our sorrow at the suffering of all the turkeys and other animals that have died. May peace grow in ourselves and extend to all around us.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.