Natural Stink Bug Repellent? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-27-2012, 10:49 AM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕

My school does water based exterminations every week. :'( Tis sad.

Well, anyway, my floor mate a few doors down from me is having some issue with stink bugs. She came to me to take to ask me to take them out. I took like 6 outside, and she has more inbetween the screen.

Is there some sort of natural repllant that will drive the stink bugs away? NOT KILL THEM. It also have to be school safe. I know that some people use cigarette ashes and the smell drives them away, but I don't know how well that would hold over, and I'm sure they wouldn't like their room to smell like ashes.

"Why should man expect his prayer for mercy to be heard by What is above him when he shows no mercy to what is under him?" ~Pierre Troubetzkoy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-27-2012, 05:29 PM
Beginner

Unfortunately they're really hardy and ingenious critters.  The best thing you can do is keep them out of your home/room in the first place.  Obviously sealing entries to the room as best as possible is going to be amazingly important.  They do however manage to compress themselves very well and will squeeze through any kind of crack so the tiny opening you thought they could never fit through is probably where they get in. 

I had a horrid infestation and ended up getting a caulk gun to make sure all the crevices were closed including on the screen door.  It's a very cheap solution to keeping them out even if you have to also foot the bill for a few replacement screens on windows. 

If there are any plants in the room or very near the entrance a very diluted solution of dawn soap and water in a spray bottle on the leaves of the plants will help keep them at bay and it won't hurt the shield bugs or the plant.  Just the leaves though!

To keep you from having to come to the rescue all the time and provide a little peace of mind a light trap does wonders and can be placed in a closet to keep you from staying up all night due to brightness.  You just need an empty jug (like a soda jug with the top portion cut off about half way down) or container (larger pickling jars are great!) with smooth sides, a funnel made of heavy duty paper lined in plastic wrap (something to make it smooth) or even a kitchen funnel, and a light bulb.  Place the funnel into the top of the jar and provide a way for the insects to get up the side; I just make a ramp with some paper.  Place the light above the can slightly and put it in the closet or somewhere the light won't disturb you.  Every morning just empty the can outside with all the critters you catch.

Hope that helps!

#3 Old 09-27-2012, 05:46 PM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medeina View Post

To keep you from having to come to the rescue all the time and provide a little peace of mind a light trap does wonders and can be placed in a closet to keep you from staying up all night due to brightness.  You just need an empty jug (like a soda jug with the top portion cut off about half way down) or container (larger pickling jars are great!) with smooth sides, a funnel made of heavy duty paper lined in plastic wrap (something to make it smooth) or even a kitchen funnel, and a light bulb.  Place the funnel into the top of the jar and provide a way for the insects to get up the side; I just make a ramp with some paper.  Place the light above the can slightly and put it in the closet or somewhere the light won't disturb you.  Every morning just empty the can outside with all the critters you catch.

Hope that helps!

That's a really cool idea. Hard to picture, but I might let my floormate know that.

"Why should man expect his prayer for mercy to be heard by What is above him when he shows no mercy to what is under him?" ~Pierre Troubetzkoy
#4 Old 09-27-2012, 05:52 PM
Beginner

Here you go I found a How To since I am terrible at describing and better at showing how to make them, I use them for collecting little fellows to photograph but they are just as good as keeping them out of the house:

http://www.ehow.com/how_5082621_make-insect-light-trap.html

My only addition to the how to is that you need little scraps of paper in the bottom of the can to let them hide so they won't be stressed and won't try to escape as much. 

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page