Dr. Furhman "7 Day Crash Diet" on Dr. Oz - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-06-2012, 01:15 PM
Super Moderator

Video here: http://www.doctoroz.com/episode/dr-oz-approved-7-day-crash-diet?video=13841

And more info: http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/oz-approved-7-day-crash-diet

I have mixed feelings about this. I think the guests in the video are great (haven't seen the full episode) and I love that they show that you can be vibrant and healthy on a vegan diet. I like that they show some examples of healthy vegan food and hopefully it encouraged people to look into it further.

But I hate hate hate that they call it a crash diet, even if it's supposed to be a 7 day thing that teaches you how to incorporate these habits into your regular lifestyle it's still rather misleading. Also, as someone who went vegan for ethical reasons and includes all animal products in that it's a little irritating to once again see veganism referred to as a diet only, plus with this crash diet you can still eat meat and dairy, just a lot less. Does anyone know if that's a modification for the show or is that actually what Dr. Furhman recommends? I always thought he encouraged a fully vegan diet. thinking.gif

In the end I think it's mostly positive though, I'm always glad to see a mainstream show with a large audience talking about healthy vegan cooking. If it gets anyone to reduce or even eliminate their consumption of animal products that's a win from my perspective.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-06-2012, 02:33 PM
Beginner

I actually watched the video before I read your post, but the first thing I thought was  "where's the crash diet part?"  This sounds like its teaching about a healthy lifestyle, not a diet.  Maybe it's a shock factor thing? People always want to hear about the latest diet craze.

Is this part true? "Beans are a dieter’s best friend. They keep you full, and are high in resistant starch, meaning that half the calories consumed can not be absorbed."

So, if my can of beans says a serving is 50 cals, I'm really only absorbing 25?

I might need to make chilli for dinner. blush.gif

#3 Old 06-06-2012, 05:06 PM
Beginner

I believe that Dr Furhman has 2 versions of his diet.  One that is completely vegan and one that allows about 6 oz of meat per week and a bit of dairy.  I belong to his website it it seems that the vast majority on their website follow the vegan plan.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page