Got a pizza place to carry vegan cheese! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-30-2012, 01:54 PM

I just have to share this because I'm bursting with excitement about this!

My city has a few pizza places that do have a vegan crust and sauce but none of them carry any kind of vegan cheese or anything like that. Personally, I'd rather just make a cheeseless pizza at home than go out for one. When we want cheesy vegan pizza we have to drive up to Seattle for it.

I decided to contact a place that turned out to be a chain (I thought they just had two local locations, I'd never paid attention to the fact that they are in several States) and asked if they might be interested in carrying a vegan cheese such as Daiya since they already have a vegan crust and sauce. I included information and stuck more to the health/dietary side of the reasons why carrying it might be a smart business idea. I also included statistics from polls on how often people will choose veg*n meals when dining out, the fact that vegan restaurant owners that I know think about 50% of their customers are non-vegans and that many avoid dairy because they are allergic, intolerant, watching their cholesterol or for other health reasons. So not only would vegans order a vegan cheese alternative, especially one that melts and tastes so similar to cow milk based cheese. The manager emailed me back immediately and was incredibly receptive to the idea of it. He checked with his supplier and found that they had Daiya and ordered samples. He then invited myself and a couple friends in for dinner on them to try out the vegan pizzas. They also veganized their cheesy bread for us and it was all amazing!

The manager said that they would keep the daiya on hand for people who come in and ask for it and that when they make their next menu change that he thinks they'll add it on to the menu. It turns out that the location in my city is also the test kitchen for the entire chain. So menu items on the test kitchen menu that are successful might go on and be added to the menu at most or all of their locations!

I put the word out immediately (along with pics I took) and the next day they already had someone buying pizza with daiya. My friend went in yesterday to buy pizza and cheesy bread and someone called while he was there because they heard they had daiya and wanted to order a pizza. And a few others have already gone in from what I've heard as well.

I am so freaking excited! Yay for the cows!

And on unrelated news, I just found out last week that I'm pregnant! Totally unplanned and a complete surprise but we're happy about it.

As long as there are slaughterhouses there will be battlefields. - Leo Tolstoy
My blog - http://myso-calledveganlife.blogspot.com/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-30-2012, 02:01 PM
That doggie in the window

Wow! Two miracles at once! Congrats for both!!

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
#3 Old 04-30-2012, 02:17 PM
Where's my camera?

Well done! Where I am in southern California there are 2 pizza chains, zPizza and Red Brick, that offer vegan pizzas with Daiya. So it might be catching on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almeria View Post

And on unrelated news, I just found out last week that I'm pregnant! Totally unplanned and a complete surprise but we're happy about it.

And well done again!

Vegan Cookbooks Illustrated

http://vegan-cookbooks-illustrated.blogspot.com/

http://pinterest.com/VeganCookbooks/

#4 Old 04-30-2012, 02:19 PM

Good job!
#5 Old 04-30-2012, 03:20 PM

that's great news. i'd totally eat at a pizza place that had daiya even though i love my cheeseless pizza
#6 Old 04-30-2012, 03:29 PM

Wow that is awesome!! Good for you! I hope Daiya catches on so the major chains start to have it though I am perfectly content with my cheeseless veggie pizza!
Congrats on the new addition as well.

"Women & cats will do as they please, & men & dogs should relax & get used to the idea." Robert Heinlein
#7 Old 04-30-2012, 03:31 PM

Awesome!

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
It seems as if there has been a "baby boom" on the boards of late.

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."
 Marilyn Monroe
#8 Old 04-30-2012, 03:41 PM

Not a miracle- just the result of persistence and hard work.

Food activism is one of the more important facets of the growing movement.

I've personally gotten one or two local grocers to carry more vegan items including Daiya cheese. The wider availability of these items defeats the common omni argument that it's hard to find good alternatives to favorite foods.

Tam! RUGH!
#9 Old 04-30-2012, 03:54 PM
Banned

Vegan Pizza in one oven, vegan bun in the other? :P:

Congrats on both counts Almeria
#10 Old 04-30-2012, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless Git View Post

Vegan Pizza in one oven, vegan bun in the other? :P:

Congrats on both counts Almeria

Haha!

Thank you everyone on both!

If anyone else is interested in trying to get a place in their city or town to consider it I found a great article by the IDA with tips and suggestions on how to approach an establishment. http://www.worldgoveganweek.org/vegan_pizza.html

As long as there are slaughterhouses there will be battlefields. - Leo Tolstoy
My blog - http://myso-calledveganlife.blogspot.com/
#11 Old 04-30-2012, 05:41 PM

This thread seems to be made up of nothing but good news.

"[-]But caging them, killing them, eating them was unthinkable. We were creatures of the same world."
-Animorphs, #18

#12 Old 04-30-2012, 06:41 PM
Banned

congrats<3

YAY daiya atleast you can get some good pizza if you crave it hehe :0)
#13 Old 04-30-2012, 07:27 PM

I tried this about a month ago, and was told that I was only the second person to even ask for a dairy-free cheese.

Ah, life in America's Heartland.
#14 Old 05-03-2012, 02:15 PM
Banned

Way to go and congrats on the baby news!!
I'm trying to get my local grocer here in CT to carry Daiya. It's pretty good about other vegan things such as Earth Balance and many frozen faux meals and meats, but so far, no Daiya. I miss the Giant chain in Philly. It carried everything I needed.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page