My sister's chickens. What should I say? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-27-2012, 09:16 PM
Beginner

So my sister has a couple of chickens. She just posted a video on facebook of my 5 year old nephew standing on a bench throwing one of the chickens in the air. The chicken flutters helplessly and hits the ground. It seems to be walking after though.

What should I say to her? She filmed this video letting my nephew do that

“May all sentient beings be free of pain and suffering.  May all sentient beings experience eternal joy and happiness.  gate gate pāragate pārasaṃgate bodhi svāhā.”
http://www.facebook.com/doktormartini
http://twitter.com/#!/MartyBaureis
http://doktormartini.tumblr.com

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-27-2012, 10:06 PM
Beginner

Well, I think even an omni could make the argument that that's a cruel thing to do to an animal. I would say, "Hey sis, I couldn't help thinking that letting little Marcus toss chickens in the air isn't a great way to treat a pet." The chickens are probably fine, they are sturdy birds, but it is not a good lesson for a young child to treat animals like that. Will she listen? No, but at least you can be at peace that you did say something about it and didn't languish in silence.
#3 Old 04-28-2012, 01:01 AM
Beginner

Yeah I think plenty of omnis would say something about that. I would just say something like "I saw that video on youtube of X with the chickens, don't you think that's cruel? The bird could get hurt and it's probally frightening for it, especially as prey animals don't like to be handled" or something like that, not really in your face, but honest. If she doesn't listen, there isn't much you can do, but it might get through.

In the UK I might suggest seeing if the RSPCA or somebody can do something, but I'm not sure if they'd actually be able to, I don't know what the law says about chickens/etc. Also since it's your sister, that could really damage your relationship.
#4 Old 04-28-2012, 01:11 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demosthenes View Post

The chickens are probably fine, they are sturdy birds

No, they aren't sturdy birds, they're rather fragile.

OP, I don't even understand the question. Someone is abusing an animal. You've got to just step up and say it, even if she gets defensive. There isn't a reasonable option. When children and animals are being abused, they need people to be courageous.

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#5 Old 04-28-2012, 03:02 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irizary View Post

OP, I don't even understand the question. Someone is abusing an animal. You've got to just step up and say it, even if she gets defensive. There isn't a reasonable option. When children and animals are being abused, they need people to be courageous.

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid...~Albert Einstein~
"Nothing tastes as good as kindness feels" - ~ElaineV~
#6 Old 04-28-2012, 06:51 AM
Beginner

I agree with the above comments. Step in before it is too late.

This is not only cruel to the chikcen but not teaching a child to respect an animals. They are not toys and next thing the child will be kicking the poor mite.
#7 Old 04-28-2012, 11:22 AM
Super Moderator

Give us the link and we'll comment.
#8 Old 04-28-2012, 01:43 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doktormartini View Post

So my sister has a couple of chickens. She just posted a video on facebook of my 5 year old nephew standing on a bench throwing one of the chickens in the air. The chicken flutters helplessly and hits the ground. It seems to be walking after though.

If you live near your nephew, I think he needs your influence. He can easily be taught empathy and respect for fellow creatures at that age, and I think you are the one to give the lesson.
#9 Old 04-28-2012, 01:52 PM
Joe
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doktormartini View Post

Without giving any information about the identity of the persons involved, I think you should contact your local ASPCA and see what they say about whether this constitutes animal cruelty and/or child neglect for allowing/encouraging this behavior.
#10 Old 04-28-2012, 02:10 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post

Without giving any information about the identity of the persons involved, I think you should contact your local ASPCA and see what they say about whether this constitutes animal cruelty and/or child neglect for allowing/encouraging this behavior.

Since you're allowed to kill chickens, I don't think they would care.
#11 Old 04-29-2012, 12:03 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post

That is a good point LedBoots however prehaps they could still give her some good advice.
#12 Old 04-29-2012, 12:33 AM
Beginner

Why does it land like that to begin with?

Jesus saved me, but the file was corrupted.
#13 Old 04-29-2012, 04:36 AM
Joe
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post

I think you are mistaken. If not, then they could tell her that, and she could proceed with knowledge rather than guesswork.
#14 Old 04-29-2012, 05:14 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post

I think you are mistaken. If not, then they could tell her that, and she could proceed with knowledge rather than guesswork.

Hopefully that's true. Plus there might be some regulations about humane treatment of farm animals prior to slaughter in the OP 's area. Chickens often get the short end of the stick in these laws though.
#15 Old 05-01-2012, 03:07 PM
Banned

smiley.gif

#16 Old 05-02-2012, 09:34 AM
Beginner

Comment that this is not a funny video, but rather animal cruelty.

slops, gloops, and gruels.
#17 Old 05-02-2012, 04:42 PM
Beginner

I too am disturbed that the kid is being allowed to do this. Not funny but cruel. I too would say something directly.
#18 Old 05-02-2012, 09:18 PM
Beginner

It's more of a pet they don't live on a farm. They had many chickens in the past and at one point a couple died from the winter

“May all sentient beings be free of pain and suffering.  May all sentient beings experience eternal joy and happiness.  gate gate pāragate pārasaṃgate bodhi svāhā.”
http://www.facebook.com/doktormartini
http://twitter.com/#!/MartyBaureis
http://doktormartini.tumblr.com

#19 Old 05-02-2012, 09:40 PM
Beginner

A child being allowed to mistreat an animal, pet or not, should be taught to stop the cruelty and learn to respect them. You may have to be the one to step up. Please do it, you'll feel good even if Sis gets a tad angry. It's part of what we have to do to protect those who can't protect themselves. Also you could find information to share about how to care for the chickens so they don't die from negligence.

You must make a choice between honoring your beliefs and worry about how your sister takes it. You can do it kindly. Of course I don't understand the relationship but it's worth a shot. Good luck.
#20 Old 05-03-2012, 05:11 AM
Beginner

I'd probably just ask if the chicken is okay and show concern, not enjoyment. She'll get the message.
#21 Old 05-07-2012, 01:02 PM
Beginner

I agree i would just say hey sis i saw the video is the chicken ok it looked hurt maybe the kids shouldnt throw them like that they have fragile legs. If she's never had a chicken before she may not know whats harmful and whats ok. you could even add if the kids keep throwing them like that they may start chasing the kids or something too. That way if shes not so worried about the chicken she at lest stops for the kids sake. If you show concerns for both the chicken and the children she may be less inclined to be angry as well if shes the defensive type.

Life isn't about forgetting or tuning out. It's about learning to live with and accept your worst mistakes. They are what make us all, even the gods, human. ~ Acheron

#22 Old 05-07-2012, 01:54 PM
Beginner

I don't care who it is, if I see an animal being abused, I'm going to say something.
#23 Old 05-07-2012, 02:32 PM
Beginner

If she was videotaping him do this, presumably she thought it was ok and funny. It's doubtful that you'll change her mind, but you could certainly try talking to her about it. Try to explain why it is scary and harmful for the chicken, and that you wouldn't want him to learn to treat other pets with disregard for their safety. At the very least, she should understand that another animal might hurt him if he treats it like this.
#24 Old 05-07-2012, 02:56 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irizary View Post

THIS. Silence equals consent.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#25 Old 05-07-2012, 03:09 PM
Beginner

Oh, also, you can report the video on facebook, or youtube, or wherever it is.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page