VeggieBoards banner

"To effect change, should the 99% go vegan?" - LATimes

771 views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  ElaineV 
#1 ·
http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/...,2230312.story

There's a mistake in the headline of this that's annoying the crap out of me but I love Ruby Roth (the writer of an awesome children's book Vegan is Love) and there's a great quote.

Quote:
The problem with Roth's book, critics say, is that it focuses too much on violence against animals, something they say is too disturbing for young readers. So we can eat the food, Roth retorts, but we can't talk about it?

"When you speak frankly to children, they pay attention because they feel like they're being let in on a secret," says Roth, a former elementary school art teacher. "We dont give children enough credit for their insight and ability to handle reality and make decisions."

Children are curious beings, hungry for knowledge. So it makes sense that Oliver and Roth would focus their energies on kids, so that they may actually effect change.

"I believe making vegan choices is the most efficient tool for change. By making vegan choices, we can impact every major industry and reach every corner of the world," argues Roth. "We can't afford to beg the people who created the problems to fix them; we have to create change ourselves and hit them where it hurts. Veganism is very effective in this way. That's why the first page of 'Vegan Is Love' opens with 'How wonderful that at this very moment, every person big and small has the power to create a better world. We dont have to wait to grow older, for laws to change, or for presidents to be elected. We can begin right now.'"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.