U.S. Vegan Population Doubles in Only Two Years - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-11-2012, 12:08 AM
Super Moderator

http://www.idablog.org/u-s-vegan-pop...nly-two-years/

Quote:
According to a new Harris Interactive study commissioned by the Vegetarian Resource Group, the number of vegans in the United States has doubled since 2009 to 2.5% of the population. An amazing 7.5 million U.S. citizens now eat vegan diets that do not include any animal products – no meat, poultry, fish, dairy or eggs. Close to 16 million, or 5%, identify as vegetarian, never eating meat, poultry or fish.If this rate continues, vegans will be 10% of the U.S. population in 2015, 40% in 2019, and in 80 % in 2050!

This would mean an end to the exploitation and suffering of billions of farmed animals. The study also revealed that 33% of U.S. citizens are eating vegetarian meals a significant amount of the time and ordering vegetarian meals at restaurants, though they are not vegetarians. That is over 100 million people, one third of the country!

Interestingly, the demographic breakdown of the study discovered that it was equal percentages of Democrats and Republicans eating vegetarian. Perhaps these two parties CAN agree on something- the vegan lifestyle is healthy and compassionate. Conscientious eating is going mainstream so if you haven’t already, reduce or eliminate your consumption of animal products- everyone’s doing it!

This is amazing! Congratulations to the U.S.! I would be interested to see some current stats on how many vegans and vegetarians there are now worldwide.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-11-2012, 12:25 AM
gherkin

Quote:
ccording to a new Harris Interactive study commissioned by the Vegetarian Resource Group, the number of vegans in the United States has doubled since 2009 to 2.5% of the population. An amazing 7.5 million U.S. citizens now eat vegan diets that do not include any animal products no meat, poultry, fish, dairy or eggs. Close to 16 million, or 5%, identify as vegetarian, never eating meat, poultry or fish.If this rate continues, vegans will be 10% of the U.S. population in 2015, 40% in 2019, and in 80 % in 2050!

that would be like saying that if the number of people playing the bagpipes increased, then it would keep increasing until 80% of people were playing the bagpipes.

I think only a certain percentage of people are potential bagpipe players, but the numbers would increase as it became more acceptable and there were more places people could play the bagpipes etc.

not that that is perfectly analogous.

#3 Old 04-11-2012, 02:49 AM
Beginner

That' s awesome! I think we only have under 1% of Vegans over here in Germany.
But I do agree with Blobbenstein on that. Highly unlikely that the numbers will continue to increase at that rate. Still cool though
#4 Old 04-11-2012, 04:16 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blobbenstein View Post

that would be like saying that if the number of people playing the bagpipes increased, then it would keep increasing until 80% of people were playing the bagpipes.

I think only a certain percentage of people are potential bagpipe players, but the numbers would increase as it became more acceptable and there were more places people could play the bagpipes etc.

I totally agree.
From what I can see far too many people have no intention whatsover to drop meat. It is a sad fact that not more of the population wants to be aware of the very sad fact of cruelty to animals in farm factories.
#5 Old 04-11-2012, 07:03 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blobbenstein View Post

Ya think?

However, I'm pretty sure That IDAs interpretation of the data is wrong.
#6 Old 04-11-2012, 07:29 AM
Beginner

Wow nice! That actually cheered me up thank you! I really needed to hear something like this!
#7 Old 04-11-2012, 07:39 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shyvas View Post

I totally agree.
From what I can see far too many people have no intention whatsover to drop meat. It is a sad fact that not more of the population wants to be aware of the very sad fact of cruelty to animals in farm factories.

Even more depressing I was watching a video on youtube about Meatless Mondays and some of the commenters seemed to be digging their heels into the sand at the thought of going a single day without meat. sigh, It's gonna be a long road ahead of us.
#8 Old 04-11-2012, 08:08 AM
Banned

I'm not surprised because the veg*n market just keeps growing and regular grocery stores are expanding their veg*n food selection.
#9 Old 04-11-2012, 08:29 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepydvdr View Post

I'm not surprised because the veg*n market just keeps growing and regular grocery stores are expanding their veg*n food selection.

I know! I'm glad to have these stats as I'm going to talk to the manager of my closest grocery store about stocking more vegan food. I know they are trying, but they're buying the wrong stuff. All their soy cheese contains milk products, they stock mostly morningstar non-vegan instead of Boca or more Gardein.
#10 Old 04-11-2012, 08:44 AM
Gib
Beginner

My parents, both in their 70s, eat veg*n meals at least half the time. Not meat analogues either but beans and cornbread or pesto on pasta or just a big salad.
#11 Old 04-11-2012, 09:19 AM
Beginner

yeah, whatever.
you only hafta to look at the number of ignorant wackos on the internet who are now calling themselves "vegan" [yet getting the ethics completely wrong], to know that this claim is probably a bunch of bull.

auto correct can kiss my ask
#12 Old 04-11-2012, 09:50 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by offthahook View Post

yeah, whatever.
you only hafta to look at the number of ignorant wackos on the internet who are now calling themselves "vegan" [yet getting the ethics completely wrong], to know that this claim is probably a bunch of bull.

Yes, there are "vegans" who sometimes eat fish, etc. But this study didn't ask people whether they were vegan, it asked them what foods they never eat. So someone who considers himself a vegan but sometimes eats animal products would not have been counted in this study as a vegan. Also, it's all about diet in this study; the results don't necessarily mean a doubling in the number of people who avoid using animal products for ethical reasons.

The bagpipe analogy doesn't hold here. The article said "if this rate continues" and was referring to the increase between this study and the one taken in 2009.

If the IDA is making too much of the study results, it might be that there has been a huge one-time increase among people who have stopped consuming animal products for health reasons. If the Esselstyn/Campbell influence is a flash in the pan, the rate will not continue. If that's where most of the new vegans are coming from, and if new diabetes and coronary patients don't keep signing on and most of the old ones revert to their meat/egg/dairy eating, that rate won't have the basis to keep doubling every few years.
#13 Old 04-11-2012, 09:55 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joan Kennedy View Post

Yes, there are "vegans" who sometimes eat fish, etc. But this study didn't ask people whether they were vegan, it asked them what foods they never eat. So someone who considers himself a vegan but sometimes eats animal products would not have been counted in this study as a vegan. Also, it's all about diet in this study; the results don't necessarily mean a doubling in the number of people who avoid using animal products for ethical reasons.

The bagpipe analogy doesn't hold here. The article said "if this rate continues" and was referring to the increase between this study and the one taken in 2009.

If the IDA is making too much of the study results, it might be that there has been a huge one-time increase among people who have stopped consuming animal products for health reasons. If the Esselstyn/Campbell influence is a flash in the pan, the rate will not continue. If that's where most of the new vegans are coming from, and if new diabetes and coronary patients don't keep signing on and most of the old ones revert to their meat/egg/dairy eating, that rate won't have the basis to keep doubling every few years.

I've heard of 'Vegetarians' who eat chicken.
#14 Old 04-11-2012, 10:19 AM
Beginner

Quote:

I've heard of 'Vegetarians' who eat chicken.

Yeah, that would describe a close relative of mine.
#15 Old 04-11-2012, 11:31 AM
Oryzatarian

Many people are going veg*n because its a 'new' fad and seems rebellious.
Some fads hold (think TV), others retreat to resurface generations later as a retro or another 'new' fad (think bellbottoms or baggy pants)
When its no longer rebellious and no longer worthy of TV time when a famous person talks about it the rate of increase will likely halt and then reverse. I dont expect for a moment that america will be 80% or even 40% vegan in the next hundred years.

Some people are doing it for health or genuine honest compassion, those are more likely to stick- but I fear they are the minority.

The decades will tell.
#16 Old 04-11-2012, 04:55 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post

I know! I'm glad to have these stats as I'm going to talk to the manager of my closest grocery store about stocking more vegan food. I know they are trying, but they're buying the wrong stuff. All their soy cheese contains milk products, they stock mostly morningstar non-vegan instead of Boca or more Gardein.

I've been seeing a lot of grocery stores with Gardein lately.
#17 Old 04-12-2012, 02:25 AM
Beginner

The naysayers are wrong. Education and compassion will ultimately tip the vegan population into the majority. The more you know the more you want to change. We are the future.

Tam! RUGH!
#18 Old 04-12-2012, 10:48 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh James xVx View Post

The naysayers are wrong. Education and compassion will ultimately tip the vegan population into the majority. The more you know the more you want to change. We are the future.

I think it's pessimistic to assume that there's a potential cap on how rationale and compassionate people can be. Given the proper education and resources (e.g., availability of products), people will be more likely to make the more ethical choice.

There isn't enough love in the Universe....
#19 Old 04-12-2012, 11:52 AM
Beginner

I think there is no doubt the vegan population is growing. And I do mean true vegans. For some it may be a process. For others it may be from one minute to the next. When I went vegan over 7 years ago, I later wondered what took me so long.

Sadly too there are people who will call themselves vegans who really are not. And to some it could be a fad. But I also think every vegan matters.
#20 Old 04-12-2012, 01:17 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorjor View Post

I've been seeing a lot of grocery stores with Gardein lately.

Me too, and I'm happy about that! Target has a ton of them now. We have a lot of omni young people over here a lot, friends of my adult kids, and using the gardein in whatever I'm making seems to satisfy the omnis' appetites, I'm not sure if it's the "savory" taste? . Anyway, I'm addicted to the Gardein Big Burger, and I'm not usually a fan of that kind of stuff at all.
#21 Old 04-12-2012, 01:55 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoBravo View Post

I think it's pessimistic to assume that there's a potential cap on how rationale and compassionate people can be. Given the proper education and resources (e.g., availability of products), people will be more likely to make the more ethical choice.

I agree, I have personally seen such huge progress in the last decade. More people than ever are choosing to stop consuming/using animal products, and the amount of vegan options has been steadily growing. Just in the past two years or so my city has had an explosion of vegan restaurants and stores, it's pretty amazing

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#22 Old 04-13-2012, 07:51 AM
Beginner

Good news.

The internet is a great resource for vegan information and I think Ellen DeGeneres must reach a lot of people with her talk show as she manages to be vocal about veganism in an accessible and non-judgemental way.
#23 Old 04-13-2012, 08:09 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixie View Post

Good news.

The internet is a great resource for vegan information and I think Ellen DeGeneres must reach a lot of people with her talk show as she manages to be vocal about veganism in an accessible and non-judgemental way.

That is my kind of talking.
#24 Old 04-13-2012, 10:07 AM
Contributing Member

~

‎"One meal, soon forgotten, in exchange for a whole life." Author Unknown
"Fur is worn by beautiful animals and ugly people"

#25 Old 04-13-2012, 10:46 AM
Beginner

Quote:

That is my kind of talking.

I love Ellen!
#26 Old 04-13-2012, 02:16 PM
Beginner

Pixie;3139765]I love Ellen![/
I love the following interview she did with Kathy Freston.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bE-YZvCUqds
#27 Old 04-13-2012, 11:05 PM
gherkin

oh well, I'll be glad when 80% of the population is vegan; we might get some decent food, at a reasonable price.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page