Originally Posted by cali
For some reason, I woke up with terrible cravings for McDonald's breakfast burrito, which I had a few times with scrambled eggs and cheese only. I think it's the milky cheese I'm craving.
Does anyone have any advice on how to re-create something like that. I thought tofu and yeast but is there something else I could use. FYI, I can't buy fake cheeses where I live.
Hi, I hope this helps. I make these all the time, and the family LOVES them:
McVegans: bac-un/negg/un-cheese & muffin sandwich
1 pound extra firm tofu
1/8 cup apple cider vinegar
1/8 cup olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
½ Tbs mustard of your choice
1 package veggie Canadian bacon (there are 9 slices in each package)
5 oz. (abut 1 cup or 9 single slices) vegan cheese of your choice (Daiya, Follow Your Heart, or Tofutti singles)
vegan English muffins (or perfect pizza dough recipe below)
vegan margarine (Earth Balance) (optional, to spread on English muffins, if using)
vegan mayonnaise (Vegenaise) (optional, to spread on English muffins, if using)
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
2. Remove tofu from package and drain liquid. Place tofu in food processor and add mixture of oil, vinegar, salt and mustard; process until smooth. If using Daiya, you can put half the cheese in food processor with tofu, etc. and mix together.
3. Either slice bacon in half or leave whole (depending on how much you want in your sandwiches; half works just fine). Place slices on oiled baking sheet then top with tofu mixture (see next step):
4. Scoop out the tofu mixture in ¼ cup (approx. 9) and place each round on cookie sheet (on top of bacon slices) to bake for 20 minutes.
5. Remove tray from oven and place 1/8 cup (2 Tbs) grated cheese on top of each round. If you mixed half the cheese into tofu, then just scoop 1 Tbs on top.
6. Return to oven (turned off) and let sit a few minutes until cheese softens.
IF MAKING DOUGH:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. When dough is ready, divide into ¼ cup balls (approx. 9), then roll out on lightly floured and cornmealed board.
3. Place tofu/cheese/bacon round in center of dough and fold over sides to completely cover. Sprinkle with cornmeal and return to baking sheet; Place in oven and bake for about 30 minutes.
Perfect Pizza Dough
1 cup Warm water
1 tsp. Sugar
1 1/4-oz. Packet active dry yeast (<1 Tbs)
3 tbsp. Olive oil, plus extra for coating
2 1/2 cups All-purpose flour, plus extra for dusting
1 tsp. Salt
1. Place 1/4 cup warm water in a small bowl. Stir in the sugar until dissolved, then sprinkle the yeast onto the surface of the water. Let the yeast float there for 1 minute, then stir it into the water. Let the yeast "proof" for 10 minutes. It should bubble a bit; if it doesn't, the yeast is outdated and inactive.
2. Pour yeast mixture into a large bowl, then stir in the remaining water, and add the olive oil, flour and salt. With a wooden spoon (or your hands), mix dough until it forms a ball. On a lightly floured surface, knead dough for 10 minutes, or until it is smooth and elastic.
3. Coat the inside of a large glass or ceramic bowl with olive oil. Press the ball of dough into the bottom of the bowl, then flip the dough over so the oiled side is on top. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap or towel, then let the dough rise in a warm place until it has doubled in bulk, about 1 or 1 1/2 hours. Makes 1 1/2 pounds of dough.
4. Lightly flour your work surface and place dough ball on it; let it rest for 10 minutes.
5. Separate dough into ¼ cup balls (approx. 9), roll out on lightly floured and cornmealed surface.