Any vegan recipe for scrambled eggs and cheese breakfast burrito? - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-15-2012, 06:18 AM

For some reason, I woke up with terrible cravings for McDonald's breakfast burrito, which I had a few times with scrambled eggs and cheese only. I think it's the milky cheese I'm craving.

Does anyone have any advice on how to re-create something like that. I thought tofu and yeast but is there something else I could use. FYI, I can't buy fake cheeses where I live.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-15-2012, 09:37 AM

Can you get nutritional yeast? If so, you could scramble up some tofu and maybe add in some Nutritional Yeast Queso sauce or some melty cheese sauce made with nutritional yeast. It would be great with some chopped peppers too.
#3 Old 03-15-2012, 07:41 PM

Thank you! Those recipes look great!

#4 Old 03-16-2012, 07:06 AM

Hey,
I found this, http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=CBJY9rs5zWk.

The guy is really funny and great!
Enjoy!
#5 Old 03-16-2012, 06:35 PM

^ I love the vegan zombie. the only thing is that he uses a lot of Deiya and I can't buy it
#6 Old 03-19-2012, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali View Post

For some reason, I woke up with terrible cravings for McDonald's breakfast burrito, which I had a few times with scrambled eggs and cheese only. I think it's the milky cheese I'm craving.

Does anyone have any advice on how to re-create something like that. I thought tofu and yeast but is there something else I could use. FYI, I can't buy fake cheeses where I live.

Hi, I hope this helps. I make these all the time, and the family LOVES them:

McVegans: bac-un/negg/un-cheese & muffin sandwich

1 pound extra firm tofu
1/8 cup apple cider vinegar
1/8 cup olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
½ Tbs mustard of your choice
1 package veggie Canadian bacon (there are 9 slices in each package)
5 oz. (abut 1 cup or 9 single slices) vegan cheese of your choice (Daiya, Follow Your Heart, or Tofutti singles)
vegan English muffins (or perfect pizza dough recipe below)
vegan margarine (Earth Balance) (optional, to spread on English muffins, if using)
vegan mayonnaise (Vegenaise) (optional, to spread on English muffins, if using)

1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.

2. Remove tofu from package and drain liquid. Place tofu in food processor and add mixture of oil, vinegar, salt and mustard; process until smooth. If using Daiya, you can put half the cheese in food processor with tofu, etc. and mix together.

3. Either slice bacon in half or leave whole (depending on how much you want in your sandwiches; half works just fine). Place slices on oiled baking sheet then top with tofu mixture (see next step):

4. Scoop out the tofu mixture in ¼ cup (approx. 9) and place each round on cookie sheet (on top of bacon slices) to bake for 20 minutes.

5. Remove tray from oven and place 1/8 cup (2 Tbs) grated cheese on top of each round. If you mixed half the cheese into tofu, then just scoop 1 Tbs on top.

6. Return to oven (turned off) and let sit a few minutes until cheese softens.

IF MAKING DOUGH:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2. When dough is ready, divide into ¼ cup balls (approx. 9), then roll out on lightly floured and cornmealed board.

3. Place tofu/cheese/bacon round in center of dough and fold over sides to completely cover. Sprinkle with cornmeal and return to baking sheet; Place in oven and bake for about 30 minutes.

Perfect Pizza Dough
1 cup Warm water
1 tsp. Sugar
1 1/4-oz. Packet active dry yeast (<1 Tbs)
3 tbsp. Olive oil, plus extra for coating
2 1/2 cups All-purpose flour, plus extra for dusting
1 tsp. Salt

1. Place 1/4 cup warm water in a small bowl. Stir in the sugar until dissolved, then sprinkle the yeast onto the surface of the water. Let the yeast float there for 1 minute, then stir it into the water. Let the yeast "proof" for 10 minutes. It should bubble a bit; if it doesn't, the yeast is outdated and inactive.
2. Pour yeast mixture into a large bowl, then stir in the remaining water, and add the olive oil, flour and salt. With a wooden spoon (or your hands), mix dough until it forms a ball. On a lightly floured surface, knead dough for 10 minutes, or until it is smooth and elastic.
3. Coat the inside of a large glass or ceramic bowl with olive oil. Press the ball of dough into the bottom of the bowl, then flip the dough over so the oiled side is on top. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap or towel, then let the dough rise in a warm place until it has doubled in bulk, about 1 or 1 1/2 hours. Makes 1 1/2 pounds of dough.
4. Lightly flour your work surface and place dough ball on it; let it rest for 10 minutes.
5. Separate dough into ¼ cup balls (approx. 9), roll out on lightly floured and cornmealed surface.
#7 Old 03-19-2012, 07:56 AM

oy! ok...can you get Follow Your Heart or Tofutti, cuz both have a mozzarella. Otherwise, the un-cheese cookbook has lots of great recipes, and I'll gladly email them to you if you like.
#8 Old 03-20-2012, 05:03 AM

I found this cheese recipe on line, and it looks very much like what I've made in the past.
It's tasty, easy to make, and works!

Prep time: 10 Min. Cook time: 10 Min.

Ingredients

2 cups plain soymilk
1/2 cup nutrional yeast
1/3 cup oatmeal
1/4 cup ARROWROOT or cornstarch
1 Tbsp onion powder
1 teas. salt

Blend all ingredients till smooth.
Pour into a saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring often,
till very thick and smooth.
It's ready to use as a spread, or put int oiled loaf pan and cool in the refrigerator.
When completely cool, cover and chill overnight.
To serve, turn out onto plate, cut with moistened knife.
Will keep in the refrigerator up to one week.

Number of Servings: 12
#9 Old 03-20-2012, 06:24 AM
Veggie Regular

I make the scrambled tofu from the book Vegan Brunch. There are probably recipes online if you google. For cheese, you could make a cheesy sauce like this recipe from VegWeb:

Quote:
Dragonfly's Bulk, Dry Uncheese Mix

Ingredients:

3 cups raw, organic cashew pieces
2 cups nutritional yeast (I like Red Star or Vegetarian Support)
3 tablespoons seasoning salt
3 tablespoons garlic powder (not garlic salt)
3 tablespoons onion powder (not onion salt)
8 tablespoons arrowroot powder (can use cornstarch, but it is not stringy like arrowroot)

Directions:

1. Using a very dry blender, blend the nuts until they are very fine.

2. Add all ingredients, and blend in batches of about 1 cup.

3. Mix in a dry container.

4. To make sauce, add heaping 1/2 cup mix to 1 cup water, and stir over heat until thickened.

Use less water and add salsa for queso dip. Pour over hot veggies and/or pasta. Spread on vegan bread and toast for grilled uncheeses, or look up my enchilada recipe and use it that way.

You can keep this tightly covered in the fridge for about 6 weeks.

Serves: many!, Preparation time: 15 minutes

Hummus, refried beans or guacamole might also be nice replacements for cheese.
#10 Old 03-20-2012, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali View Post

^ I love the vegan zombie. the only thing is that he uses a lot of Deiya and I can't buy it

Yeah he's great! Being from the UK there is a lot of the ingredients I can't get, especially Daiya. Oh well still worth a look!
#11 Old 03-11-2013, 09:46 PM

Those recipes look amazing. Thanks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page