Horrible acne after going vegan - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-29-2012, 09:12 AM

Since I went vegan 3 months ago, my face and back have been breaking out horribly! I thought at first it was a detox and would go away after a couple months, but it's worse than ever! I've never had acne like this in my entire life

My husband is saying he's worried about me that I'm lacking something from giving up animal products that is causing the acne. Sounds ridiculous I know, but I'm getting so desperate that I've even thought of adding a tiny bit of organic grassfed yogurt or something into my diet just to see if it helps. Maybe it was the hormones keeping my skin clear all these years.

I went off chemical birth control a year ago (around the same time I stopped eating meat) and my face started breaking out a bit then, but when i cut out dairy and eggs, my skin is a mess. I don't even want to go out in public, I have to wear shirts that cover my back and wear a ton of mineral powder to cover my face. I can't stand it. My husband thinks I should go in and get my levels checked.

But what could I be missing? I take my B12 and D supplements. I eat a variety of foods, many raw. I thought maybe it's candida and I should stop eating wheat. But damn, I've already cut out so much and already have to be so careful about not eating dairy, eggs and meat...now wheat? I've also heard about taking high doses of colloidal silver to kill candida that might clear acne. It's expensive though, but may be my next move.

Am I the only one going through this? I've always heard to be vegan, you'll have clear glowing radiant skin. I had that before. Now I don't.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-29-2012, 09:15 AM

Sorry to hear that. Sounds horrid for you!

Are you eating a lot more of anything?

Misanthrope seeks misanthrope.
#3 Old 01-29-2012, 09:17 AM

It could be that the birth control is finally out of your system and that's why your acne is getting worse. Did you have really bad acne before you started the birth control?

#4 Old 01-29-2012, 09:36 AM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕

DO NOT TAKE COLLODIAL SILVER! IT'S extremely dangerous and caused several people to have silver skin all of a sudden one day, and now they hasve silver literally coming out of their skin.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...medicines.html

I have bad acne too, but it hasn't gotten worse or better ever since I went vegan. I actually go to a dermatologist that prescribed me medicine for it. I take amoxicillin. I don't like it because I know it's tested on animals, but I try and rationalize it, saying that I'm not taking it for beauty wise, rather too feel more comfortable (because I was extremely uncomfortable with such an oily face), and that when I'm living on my own I will find an alternative. I even told my doctor that I felt uncomfortable with the animal tested aspect and she sympathized with me saying that more and more people are feeling that way and she told me that there are likely alternatives out there I can try, if I want.

Sometimes it's just genteics, nothing about diet. I have had bad acne since 5th grade. Maybe you are just at a hormonal imbalance in your life and that's what is causing it.

LOL, being vegan makes you automatically have clear and radiant skin? It's not a miracle worker. If you take care of your skin, you will have better skin. That's all it is. Anyone promoting the vegan propaganda that it will make you look so much better, are just trying to win over narcissistic omnivores to the vegan side, totally shoving the animal concerns under the rug.

"Why should man expect his prayer for mercy to be heard by What is above him when he shows no mercy to what is under him?" ~Pierre Troubetzkoy
#5 Old 01-29-2012, 10:58 AM

That colloidal silver article freaked me out! I'm not sure if I want to do that now Although I take small doses when I'm sick and it's seems to help and not turn my skin silver, I'm not sure what taking high doses would do :/

This article makes me think: http://renegadehealth.com/blog/2012/...han-you-think/. I have The Body Ecology Diet book that I bought before going veg. I tried it for awhile and felt good at the time. I might just go in and get my candida levels checked. If that's the issue, then I'll go that route. Or maybe go back on birth control. I was hoping to stay off all meds that aren't natural unless absolutely necessary. The high levels of estrogen in the bc patch that could cause cancer freaks me out. But maybe I could try the pill again. Ugh. I hate the thought ((
#6 Old 01-29-2012, 11:02 AM
Veggie Regular

my acne got worse about 3 months in too. I have acne prone, combination skin (oily t zone, normal cheeks) It's my 5th month and now my face is mostly clear again. I simplified my face care routine too. Using burts bee's Deep Cleasing Cream with a soft washcloth in the AM and PM and just putting Alba's Green Tea Moisturizer afterwards.
Hope that helps!
Also, the more I used to stress about it, the worse it got. I think just worrying about it makes it worse.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
the blog I write. It's mostly about food. Some healthy. Some junky. All vegan.

#7 Old 01-29-2012, 11:15 AM
Banned

are you eating more soy or wheat or another kind of food since you stopped eating meat?

quitting birth control may be a reason also.
#8 Old 01-29-2012, 11:31 AM
Super Moderator

Yeah, messing with your hormones is VERY risky. When I stopped BC, my face went on full freakout mode for months. It cleared up on its own, thankfully.

What kind of face wash are you using now?
#9 Old 01-29-2012, 02:25 PM
Rat Queen/Mouse Matriarch

Without birth control, I get some pretty bad nodular acne. I was having stress/hormonal acne issues again a little while ago and had to see my medical doctor about it because it was scarring me up big time and I was also having trouble leaving the house. She gave me an antibiotic/benzoyl peroxide topical ointment that's been clearing me up but it really dries my skin. I've had to start using a heavy duty moisturizer (olive oil...thanks VB!) to keep my skin from cracking and peeling. Hopefully I can stop the ointment in the near future and just be clear. Before seeking medical treatment, I was trying tea tree oil but got minimal results. It might help you though.

I can't abandon the person I used to be, so I carry her.
#10 Old 01-29-2012, 03:23 PM
Vegan Very Metal

Yes, becoming vegan never cleared my skin, acne just carried on at the same sort of pace that it had done since my teens. I tried a wheat free diet for 4 months, back in 1998, but eliminating wheat had no effect at all. To say that when you go vegan, your skin clears up, i'm afraid is just a generalisation, as i have been vegan for over 15 years, and still get more and more acne every single day.:-(

Has anybody tried any of the Vit B5 supplements which are alleged to cure acne for some people?

Would anyone be willing to start an acne support thread here on Veggieboards?
#11 Old 01-29-2012, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vMaryv View Post

my acne got worse about 3 months in too. I have acne prone, combination skin (oily t zone, normal cheeks) It's my 5th month and now my face is mostly clear again. I simplified my face care routine too. Using burts bee's Deep Cleasing Cream with a soft washcloth in the AM and PM and just putting Alba's Green Tea Moisturizer afterwards.
Hope that helps!
Also, the more I used to stress about it, the worse it got. I think just worrying about it makes it worse.

Omg. that is exactly what I use for my skin care routine too! Except I don't bother with the washcloth. Why do you use it? Just wondering if there was any reason behind it.
#12 Old 01-31-2012, 03:20 AM

I know how you are feeling. During adolescence I suffered of acne for years. After intensive treatment including rocuttene, 7 years ago, I was finally clear. Then my doctor suggested the pill to stabilize my periods and the minor breakouts I started to have after the previous mentioned treatment. For years I have been ok, but just recently went off the pill, 4 months ago or so (don't want anymore artificial hormones and drugs in my system), since then I have started to breakout again, I am waiting, and trying different things, hopping that my hormones will stabilize at some point again. I have read that can take months for the body to get rid of the pill and for the body to stabilize... dunno. I am taking B vitamins, coconut oil, I am even using it as a moisturizer, and as a cleaner baking soda, which seems to be working by drying out black and whiteheads. Trying to keep it natural.
By the way, its completely true that stressing about it makes it worse.
The support thread idea sounds good

"Cowardice asks the question 'Is it safe?', expediency asks the question 'Is it politic?', vanity asks the question 'Is it popular?'. But conscience asks the question 'Is it right?' and there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must...
#13 Old 01-31-2012, 04:45 AM

Hi, I came off the pill at Christmas time. I also came off my anti-depressants (both of which I had been taking for nearly 15 years!) AND went vegan too after being veggie since I was 19 (i'm 34 now). I have noticed a few spots on my back too but that's bound to happen with such dramatic changes. I would doubt very much that being vegan has made you like that- are you eating anything new that you didn't eat as a vegetarian? If so, maybe you are allergic to something- soy maybe? It certainly won't be due to you not eating dairy anymore so I wouldn't worry about that! ; )
I honestly believe that spots are caused by one thing and one thing only and that's quite simply your hormones & genetics. I used to get terrible spots when I was younger and they've gone now; my mum was the same. And in the same way, you can get spots when you're older for no apparent reason. I wouldn't spend too much time using different cleansers etc as that's just for the outside of your skin and you'll end up just wasting your money- I don't think that will do much to change things. If you're really depressed about it, it may be worth going to the doctors. If you're eating well and drinking enough water, I don't think there's too much you can do apart from take some skin tablets prescribed by the doctor. It could well be that your body is having a massive de-tox but I'd say after about 5 months or so, if the spots are still there, I doubt very much it'll be that.
I know it's hard not to worry but the good thing is that your acne isn't permanent and it WILL go. x
#14 Old 01-31-2012, 08:18 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avid92 View Post

Omg. that is exactly what I use for my skin care routine too! Except I don't bother with the washcloth. Why do you use it? Just wondering if there was any reason behind it.

I use the washcloth for a mild exfloliation and to help the cleansing cream rinse awayh easier. Just find I have better results with it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
the blog I write. It's mostly about food. Some healthy. Some junky. All vegan.

#15 Old 01-31-2012, 09:33 AM

I used to break out terribly, birth control or no, from early teens until this last year. Oddly enough, what seemed to have been making me have terrible acne was the commercial cleansers on my sensitive skin. I did away with all cleansers except for cetaphyl soap free face wash, and even that I only do every so often. Instead I do a baking soda face mask twice weekly, wipe my face with one part apple cider vinegar to 8 parts water twice daily and use 99% pure aloe gel twice daily. Alarmingly, within the first couple of weeks I feel cleaner but looked the same, then about a month in my skin started clearing. Even when i break out now its a couple tiny ruddy bumps that go away quickly.

How come I love reading other people's witty signatures, but can never seem to make an awesome one for myself?! Life is hilariously cruel.
#16 Old 02-01-2012, 12:59 PM

I've been reading a lot of negativity about the impact of gluten on our bodies and I came across this site: http://www.the-gluten-free-diet.com/...-and-acne.html. Why not give up the gluten for a month and see how your skin reacts? If it improves, fabulous. If not, well you gave it the 'good ole college try'! Far better than poisoning your body needlessly with antibiotics if the gluten free diet does work.
#17 Old 02-01-2012, 02:11 PM

Too much B12 can trigger acne (Acne medicamentosa)
Another problem could be high carbohydrate/protein ratio, which raises testosterone.
#18 Old 02-01-2012, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zike View Post

Too much B12 can trigger acne (Acne medicamentosa)
Another problem could be high carbohydrate/protein ratio, which raises testosterone.

B12 isn't a medication so it isn't the cause of 'acne medicamentosa'.
#19 Old 02-02-2012, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselsmom View Post

B12 isn't a medication so it isn't the cause of 'acne medicamentosa'.

Oh really. You need to do your homework.

Quote:
Acne medicamentosa is the development of acne vulgaris or an acneiform eruption with the use of certain medications. These medications include testosterone, progesterone,steroids, lithium, phenytoin, isoniazid, vitamins B2, B6, and B12, halogens, and epidermal growth factor inhibitors.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19932324
#20 Old 02-02-2012, 07:35 AM

you should ask your doctor before you add dairy back into your diet. good luck.
#21 Old 02-02-2012, 07:56 AM

Sorry to hear you're having this problem
From what I've read, 3 months is not enough to develop a deficiency in most vitamins and minerals, so it would seem to me - as some others have also mentioned - that it's more likely that your acne is caused by something you've added to your diet, rather than something you've removed from it. Have you started consuming a lot more soy, for instance? Soy allergy can cause acne, as can a host of other allergies and intolerances.
I hope you find a solution!
#22 Old 02-04-2012, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zike View Post

Oh really. You need to do your homework.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19932324

Well I guess it just goes to show that there are a multiplicity of websites which each say a little bit different. But thank you very much for so kindly showing me my mistake. Certainly do appreciate that.
#23 Old 02-13-2012, 05:26 PM

hi all, just an update and some info that might be helpful for other acne sufferer. Due to the diagnosis of another condition i started to look was natural antiflamatories, it had to be vegan too so fish oil and other supplement were out of the question. I stumbled across fax seed oil, and a website that show how many things is good for. One of them is acne!!! It seems that it can help a lot when the acne is being caused by hormonal imbalances. I have been taking it now for 2 days, so far so good, i have noticed no new pimples, and smoother skin. Have been taking 2 capsules per day. hope this info helps others.

"Cowardice asks the question 'Is it safe?', expediency asks the question 'Is it politic?', vanity asks the question 'Is it popular?'. But conscience asks the question 'Is it right?' and there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must...
#24 Old 02-14-2012, 06:42 AM
Vegan Very Metal

I have been taking flax seed oil for nearly 8 years, but it hasn't helped my skin.
#25 Old 02-14-2012, 08:02 AM

Strange, I had a friend (girl, late 20's) go Vegan specifically because she had bad acne. By going vegan it helped balance her hormone levels (which apparently are affected by the amount of soy protein in some women) and her skin cleared up to flawlessness in under a month!
#26 Old 02-14-2012, 09:03 AM

Upping my zinc intake has helped with acne. Also, not using tons of stuff on my face helps too. Right now, I only wash with water or raw honey mixed with distilled/filtered water and followed by a little jojoba oil. I know oil seems counter intuitive for oily skin, but jojoba is like the natural sebum in our skin and hair. If I need to remove make up, I use a little oil to wipe it off and then wash with honey.

Mineral make-up also makes my skin worse and if you're using that it may be making it worse. How often do you clean your make-up brush/sponge? Are you using new cleansers for your face or new detergent to wash your clothing/bedding? It could be that something you are putting on your skin is also contributing to the problem.

Remember that not getting what you want is sometimes a wonderful stroke of luck. ~ Dalai Lama

http://mommethree.blogspot.com
#27 Old 03-11-2012, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiracleClay View Post

Strange, I had a friend (girl, late 20's) go Vegan specifically because she had bad acne. By going vegan it helped balance her hormone levels (which apparently are affected by the amount of soy protein in some women) and her skin cleared up to flawlessness in under a month!

This is me, too. I had bad hormonal acne because apparently my estrogen levels were low and the moment I cut out dairy and additionally started eating a fair bit of soy, my skin completely cleared and remains that way barring a bit of acne around the TOM ( which is also now regular for the first time in a decade )
#28 Old 03-11-2012, 11:21 PM
Veggie Regular

This is the reason I'm cutting down (majorly) on my dairy intake at the moment, to see if soy can help me out. Or if it's causing the issues.

I don't have any of the other symptoms of soy allergy, so I don't think it's the cause of my acne (which is more cystic based, but only in certain parts of my face, the rest of my skin has cleared up) St Ives do a good range of cruelty free scrubs and moisturisers as well. I'm not sure how vegan friendly all of their stuff is, but it's quite affordable.
#29 Old 03-15-2012, 03:11 AM

Hi all,

One month on, I am taking 3 capsules of flaxseed oil, plus 2 of primrose oil every day. I have changed my skin care routine quite a bit too, and I am happy to say my skin is clearing up, I just have quite a few scars and marks to get rid of. I have literally seen my acne disappear and I think the massive change occurred when I started to use Hydrogen Perixode on the active acne, it seems that the oxygen kills the bacteria and allows the skin to heal. At first I used it all over my face, but now I use it only were I have active pimples. I am also currently trialing lavender oil (to eventually replace the HP, lavender is also antibacterial) and aloe vera gel as my moisturizer (so far so good, seems a lot better than any cream or oil I have tried).

@ Vincent, I am not sure if you are female or male, but flaxseed oil as far as I have read, seems to be more helpful to women than men. Anyways, we are all different, and the causes of our illnesses can differ greatly. Hope you give Hp a go, its been amazing for me, never ever thought that something so cheap and simple could do so much.

#30 Old 03-15-2012, 07:11 AM
Beanitarian

Truthfully, I would suggest seeing a doctor. Such an abrupt and severe change in your skin--seems concerning.

Beanitarian.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page