VeggieBoards banner

Grocery store frustration

1K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  jessickah 
#1 ·
So, I've got about 9 bucks, and I'm out of food. I'm thinking - ok, Top Ramen oriental is vegan, right? That can feed me until payday, and then hopefully I can make up for it with some real food.

Ran by wal-mart, and all they had was Maurchan (or however it's spelled) and the oriental flavor had beef extract. Argh. I ended up having plain rice.

#2 ·
Keep an eye out for a store with bulk foods section with good prices, that can be a real money saver without living on plain white rice for a week, lol
Just off the top of my head (shopped today) I could buy:

1 bunch kale $1.37
a 5 lb cabbage $2
a 10 lb sack of potatoes $2.78
2 lbs whole wheat flour $1.04
1 lb dry beans $0.58
1 lb dry split peas $0.65
1 lb whole wheat noodles $0.58
Thats $9 even I think, not the most balanced diet but a sizable amount of food that could be arranged into an assortment of dishes- stews, soups, chili, some burritos using left over stew and flour. Tho if your out of spices too, life could be a tad bland.

#3 ·
Ramen may be cheap, but I don't find it to be filling. I am usually hungry again soon after I eat it. Same thing with plain white rice.

I like Auxin's list. All of those ingredients are very versatile. I might add oatmeal too. I can get 8 half cup (dry) servings for $0.59 or so. That is probably cheaper than ramen and it has fiber, so it will be more filling.

There are flatbreads that consist of flour, salt and water that can be mixed together in a few minutes and then fried. Not that much work involved, then you have something to go with beans, hummus, soup, chili, etc.

#4 ·
I hate it when I go to get a specific thing and the store is out.

This is interesting--$9, what do you buy? I am looking at a receipt from my purse. OK, 2 cans garbanzo beans $ 1.99. McIntosh apples, say $2 for a couple. One small onion $ 1. Small cabbage head or bag of it chopped up $ 1.50. $ 2.50 left for rice and hopefully oatmeal.

As I was thinking about this, it really made me think how much more difficult it is to eat cheaply and well if you don't have access to a good grocery store and kitchen.

#5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo View Post

There are flatbreads that consist of flour, salt and water that can be mixed together in a few minutes and then fried.
Thats what I love about flour
With 1 cup of whole wheat flour and 1/3 cup water (no salt or oil, even) I can roll out a giant uncooked tortilla, split it in two, spoon in a little leftovers, and in 15-18 minutes at 350°F bake up a pair of foot long burritos, makes a nice lunch out of half a cup of leftovers and a mere $0.13 of flour.

I fear the thought of no stove and no grocery store

#8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo View Post

Ramen may be cheap, but I don't find it to be filling. I am usually hungry again soon after I eat it. Same thing with plain white rice.
same with my fiance!
thats why I usually add corn, celery, and tofu!
all cheap stuff too :]
oh & hotsauce because chili ramen doesn't even have heat!

ALSO to the OP;;

I can't find chili flavor ramen at ANY grocery stores near here, but every little corner store carries them! same with maamba!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.