If you accidentally ate eggs or dairy after being vegan for a while... - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-13-2011, 07:45 AM

...would it make you ill?

I feel so, so stupid asking this and I'm almost certain the answer is 'No,' but I'm a hypochondriac.

I've been vegan for about 4 months now and have no cravings for animal products, and don't intend to go back to an omnivore diet.

HOWEVER...this week I'm going (long story, but you can trust me that not going is not an option) to a restaurant for a family occasion. I've phoned them to ask whether they could accommodate vegans, and they said they could adapt a couple of dishes. So my plan is to order vegan, or as close-to-vegan as possible. I cannot do any better than that.

My question (honestly, I'm getting there!) is: what if I get a dish with small amounts of animal product in, or in the worst case scenario I have to eat an ovo-lacto vegetarian dish? Aside from feeling uncomfortable because I'd really rather not eat it - would there be any discernible physical effects?

Can you become lactose intolerant/other animal product intolerant after following a vegan diet for some time?

Again, my apologies for asking this question. And again, I really have no control over the choice of restaurant/the menu/whether I eat dinner or not. This is a question about what would happen if I absolutely had to settle for the ovo-lacto option.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-13-2011, 08:05 AM

From my personal experience, after a while of not eating dairy, I am now completely lactose intolerant. I had stopped drinking milk/eating cheese at home, then went out to a restaurant in a situation much like yourself, and ordered a cheese ravioli, and I had bad stomach cramps for the rest of the night. As far as eggs, the idea just grosses me out now. I would think if you want to enjoy the rest of the evening, after the meal, try to make it vegan. Most restaurants can at least do a plain spaghetti with sauce, or french fries, or just a plain salad. Good luck!
#3 Old 11-13-2011, 08:36 AM

I had a situation recently where they put mayo in a veggie wrap and I accidentally ate part of it, but it didn't bother me physically. Mentally- it had me in a tizzy!

Even if you fall on your face, you're still moving forward.

#4 Old 11-13-2011, 08:37 AM
Veggie Regular

You're unlikely to have any troubles related to the eggs that are specific to veganism. Obviously, you could get salmonella poisoning but any omnivore could get that too.

But you could become lactose intolerant after being vegan for a while. It would likely take longer than just a few months and for many white Americans it wouldn't happen at all (it's a genetic thing). But even people who are lactose intolerant can still usually consume cheese without trouble.

Of course, you could still get food poisoning. Remember that animal products are more likely to cause food poisoning. But anyone who eats animal products takes that risk. Even just eating at restaurants increases the risk of food poisoning due to crosscontamination or unsanitary conditions.

If you order something that's as vegan as you can get it the chances that it will make you sick are very low.
Scurvy Duck likes this.
#5 Old 11-13-2011, 09:04 AM
Veggie Regular

i think i may have eaten something last week what was cross contaminated with cheese and a few hours later i had a horrible stomach ache. maybe that was a coincidence.
why would you have to eat a dish with dairy or eggs in it anyway? you may be forced to go to a bad restaurant but nobody can force you to put food in your mouth. most likely there will be something on the menu or they'll be able to veganise a dish like they said. bring a snack to prepare for the worst case scenario.
#6 Old 11-13-2011, 09:32 AM

If they said that they can adapt some dishes, then you should be able to avoid this problem altogether, yeah? Agreed that dairy can really do a number on people who haven't eaten it for awhile, but I suspect that you'd have to eat a fairly decent amount (more than say one or two bites) for it to affect you physically.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#7 Old 11-13-2011, 09:51 AM

Thank you everyone!

Yes, they said they can adapt a couple of dishes when I called ahead and so it should be absolutely fine. There should be green salads, breads and oils, plain spaghetti and tomato sauce, that kind of thing.
#8 Old 11-13-2011, 11:14 AM

I think you sound like youll do OK without worrying.

I find if I have accidentally eaten dairy/egg, or just THINK I might have done, I feel very sick and get this horrible feeling in my stomach. Its a mental thing, not physical though! Not pleasant either way.
Phyluum likes this.
#9 Old 11-13-2011, 01:23 PM

Good luck at the restaurant...calling ahead is always a good plan!

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#10 Old 11-13-2011, 03:53 PM
Veggie Regular

I get wicked sick if I consume dairy. Just not eating until you get home (or eating before you leave) is also an option when forced to eat at vegan-unfriendly establishments.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#11 Old 11-14-2011, 07:48 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limes View Post

From my personal experience, after a while of not eating dairy, I am now completely lactose intolerant. I had stopped drinking milk/eating cheese at home, then went out to a restaurant in a situation much like yourself, and ordered a cheese ravioli, and I had bad stomach cramps for the rest of the night. As far as eggs, the idea just grosses me out now. I would think if you want to enjoy the rest of the evening, after the meal, try to make it vegan. Most restaurants can at least do a plain spaghetti with sauce, or french fries, or just a plain salad. Good luck!

I'm the same, definitely lactose intolerant now. A few years ago I was still transitioning and flip flopping between eating vegan and ovo lacto every now and then, I hadn't eaten any dairy for a few months and then got drunk and randomly had a couple pieces of cheese pizza. BAD idea, I got stomach cramps and had awful bathroom issues for the rest of the night, not fun... I haven't had the same experience with eggs but I never tested it either, I wasn't a fan of them to begin with so they were the easiest thing to avoid.
Scurvy Duck likes this.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#12 Old 11-17-2011, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post

I'm the same, definitely lactose intolerant now. A few years ago I was still transitioning and flip flopping between eating vegan and ovo lacto every now and then, I hadn't eaten any dairy for a few months and then got drunk and randomly had a couple pieces of cheese pizza. BAD idea, I got stomach cramps and had awful bathroom issues for the rest of the night, not fun... I haven't had the same experience with eggs but I never tested it either, I wasn't a fan of them to begin with so they were the easiest thing to avoid.

Exactly the same with me. I'm quite happy about it, actually. When offered foods with dairy, I can just go with "lactose intolerant" and that's that - no having to explain that I'm vegan. Perhaps it's the "ashamed" route, but to me it's just simpler and easier. So I stick with it.
#13 Old 11-17-2011, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducky_ View Post

Exactly the same with me. I'm quite happy about it, actually. When offered foods with dairy, I can just go with "lactose intolerant" and that's that - no having to explain that I'm vegan. Perhaps it's the "ashamed" route, but to me it's just simpler and easier. So I stick with it.

I do this too when people bring up the subject. I say that I'm vegetarian who also happens to be lactose intolerant. I find it gets a lot more pity looks rather than confused/angry and people get when you say it's a choice
#14 Old 11-17-2011, 01:48 PM
Veggie Regular

I had a vegan friend a long time ago who got sick after a coffee shop messed up and gave her a dairy latte instead of the soy once she ordered. It wasn't just a little stomach ache either; she was throwing up and stuff.
#15 Old 11-18-2011, 04:37 PM

Definitely good to hear others' opinions - people ask me this all the time, but i never have a good answer lol
#16 Old 11-19-2011, 09:00 PM

there have been a few random times over the years when I've managed to consume some dairy -

like ordering a Thai iced tea with coconut milk in a restaurant, taking a big drink of it and tasting the dairy they used by mistake (I sent it back)...

my vegan friend made us spaghetti, and when I was recycling the cans afterwards I looked at the ingredients on the tomato sauce and there was (oddly) dairy in it...

Never gotten sick from these small amounts of dairy.

I've never done anything like consciously eat a piece of cheese pizza or anything since going vegan, so I don't know what a large amount would do. And I never care to find out - poor veal calves

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#17 Old 04-07-2014, 01:11 PM

What do veal calves have to do with dairy?  Dairy cows produce dairy.  Veal calves produce beef.  Torturous beef.  But beef nonetheless.  Not dairy.

#18 Old 04-07-2014, 01:15 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegMeg6 View Post

What do veal calves have to do with dairy?  Dairy cows produce dairy.  Veal calves produce beef.  Torturous beef.  But beef nonetheless.  Not dairy.

Veal calves are a byproduct of the dairy industry, they have no use for the male dairy calves so they are fattened and slaughtered. Every time you drink milk or eat cheese you are supporting the veal industry: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veal
Quote:
The modern veal industry has strong connections with the dairy industry.[8][9] To produce milk, cows must be lactating, and to be lactating, they must get pregnant and give birth. Approximately 50% of all calves born in dairy farming are male. Since only female calves are used to produce milk, use of male dairy calves is limited, outside of breeding.[10][11]
The veal industry's integration with the dairy industry goes beyond the purchase of surplus calves. It also buys large amounts of milk byproducts. Almost 70% of veal feeds (by weight) are milk products. Most popular are whey and whey protein concentrate (WPC), byproducts of the manufacture of cheese. Milk byproducts are sources of protein and lactose. Skimmed milk powder, casein, buttermilk powder and other forms of milk byproducts are used from time to time.[12]

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#19 Old 04-07-2014, 01:17 PM

Ah yes, silly me.  Sorry.  Thinking in the wrong direction.

#20 Old 04-07-2014, 01:58 PM
Don't Eat Animals.

I got 2 "hash brown pattys" at an airport.

When I cut one in half, it was filled with potatoes, ham & eggs.

I immediately threw them away.

Cost....$4.00

My satisfaction....priceless.  :naughty:

I went hungry for awhile....but found something vegan later in the day.  :nana::pibo:

All animals should be respected & should have the ability to lead a natural & enjoyable life. This means not eating them, or abusing them in any way.
#21 Old 04-07-2014, 02:03 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOFUVEGMAN View Post

I got 2 "hash brown pattys" at an airport.

When I cut one in half, it was filled with potatoes, ham & eggs.

I immediately threw them away.

Cost....$4.00

My satisfaction....priceless.  naughty.gif

I went hungry for awhile....but found something vegan later in the day.  dancingbanana.gifpibo.gif

Ugh, that kind of drives me crazy! It's really irresponsible too, even when you don't take vegans/vegetarians into account there are still people with all kinds of allergies and food intolerances out there. They should always describe the food in plain language so you know what you're getting.

I remember once I went to Denny's with family and I ordered a side garden salad with my veggie burger and the salad came absolutely covered in shredded cheddar, you could barely see any green there was so much cheese on it. I thought that was especially funny since I had been careful to make sure my veggie burger didn't have any cheese or mayo on it, you'd think they would have realized maybe I don't want to eat a pound of cheese when I order a side salad. laugh.gif

#22 Old 04-07-2014, 08:34 PM
Plant/Fungi based.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post

Ugh, that kind of drives me crazy! It's really irresponsible too, even when you don't take vegans/vegetarians into account there are still people with all kinds of allergies and food intolerances out there. They should always describe the food in plain language so you know what you're getting.

I remember once I went to Denny's with family and I ordered a side garden salad with my veggie burger and the salad came absolutely covered in shredded cheddar, you could barely see any green there was so much cheese on it. I thought that was especially funny since I had been careful to make sure my veggie burger didn't have any cheese or mayo on it, you'd think they would have realized maybe I don't want to eat a pound of cheese when I order a side salad. laugh.gif

I ordered a meal at a Mexican restaurant the came with a cheese quesadilla and instead asked it to be bean. They bring out a cheese one and the waitress automatically apologizes and brings me the correct one. I open it to find bean....    and some cheese...

Werewolf Girl likes this.
#23 Old 04-12-2014, 09:07 PM

Restaraunts need to be more sensitive to vegans and vegetarians!! It's unfair. And where I live, no one even gives a second thought to whether you do or don't want meat, cheese, eggs, milk, whatever on something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
#24 Old 06-26-2015, 12:38 AM

I have never been this sick in my life. Iv been vegan a month straight and desided to chug some milk with some vegan cookies i had made. Worste decisions of my life. I cant leave the toilet, i am in excruciating pain. Thiswill make dairy a never again for me. Vegan for life. I wish this pain would stop. Nausea and diarrhea.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page