Can you be Vegan and wear leather? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-20-2011, 02:59 PM
Beginner

Halfway into my 30 day Vegan challenge I realized that I have leather shoes and handbags in my closet. I had been so focused on not EATING animals/animal products that I didnt even give a thought to cleaning out my closet!

Just curious about veganism and wearing leather - - - - if you do it then youre not vegan right?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-20-2011, 03:07 PM
Beginner

Can you be Vegan and wear leather? No. But the general rule most people seem to follow is that if you have bought things before becoming vegan, then it is OK to continue to use them until they need replacing. At which point you should seek a vegan alternative. By definition, leather is not vegan of course. you are correct in realising that being vegan isn't just about the food.

I got rid of leather shoes and belts etc.. straight away because they weren't expensive and I could replace them easily. Also I don't think publicly displaying leather is good for the cause and always raises eyebrows among non-vegans and vegans alike. I just didn't want to have "that" conversation with someone, even if I did buy them before I became vegan.

I have a rather expensive leather couch though. As we are currently a one-wage family, with 2 kids, I can't see ourselves being able to replace that unless necessary. When the time comes though, I will obviously get a vegan material (which will be a hell of a lot cheaper too! bonus). And yes - I do feel guilty about owning it

--
"When you make the finding yourself -- even if you're the last person on Earth to see the light -- you'll never forget it."
-Carl Sagan
#3 Old 08-20-2011, 03:41 PM
Beginner

It might be fun for the 30 day challenge to not use anything leather, to see how you get on with that. But yeah, if you owned it beforehand I wouldnt worry too much - as long as youre comfortable using it. Buying new leather? A different issue!
#4 Old 08-20-2011, 05:57 PM
Banned

How about thrift store leather?
#5 Old 08-20-2011, 09:09 PM
Beginner

I believe if you already had it before you went vegan, then wear it until its end, but don't replace it with another leather item.. gradually go towards replacing to non leather goods.
Sexy Jellyfish likes this.

meow.
Visit my food/blog/tumblr! Thanks
http://whatsinyourfood.tumblr.com/
#6 Old 08-21-2011, 02:31 AM
Beginner

While I don't think there is anything morally wrong about buying thrift store leather or any other used products that contain leather, primarily since there is no 'new' animal suffering involved, as m00ch said it is kind of good for the cause just to be free from animal products entirely.

So I really nothing wrong with it per se; a guess that means it just purely a personal decision. Do what you are comfortable with. I like the idea and lifestyle of just being free from it even if it is used, so I'm more comfortable with that and go with that. I wasn't at first, but after like 2 years or something of being vegan decided to get rid of my old leather belt and have no more leather around.
#7 Old 08-21-2011, 03:01 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyVegan View Post

Just curious about veganism and wearing leather - - - - if you do it then youre not vegan right?

That's right, not vegan if you wear leather
Leather is mostly made from cow, and sometimes from sheep/lamb/goat/snake and buffalo hide. If you are using or wearing any animal skin at any time, you are not a vegan.

auto correct can kiss my ask
#8 Old 08-21-2011, 04:30 AM
Banned

Leather, at my last check, was being disposed of as a waste product by the meat industry.

Personaly I try not buy new leather as a matter of principle but a leather boycott will never spare a single animal as the slaughter is entirely for meat.
#9 Old 08-21-2011, 08:22 AM
Beginner

Not true about boycotting leather not sparing a single animal. A great deal of the 'cheap' leather you see nowadays comes from India and those animals are tortured beyond belief on their way to the slaughterhouse.

http://www.jivdaya.org/nike_tells_in...overnment.html

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...ps-724696.html

http://www.hindu.com/fline/fl1818/18180380.htm

No videos of abuse folks, just articles that tell you what really goes on in todays leather industry. And I would like to point out that the first article lists a number of big name companies like Nike and Reebok who've responded to information that was provided to them by, drum roll please.......PETA. Just to let you know that PETA is not just about zany PR stunts, they actually accomplish great things.
#10 Old 08-21-2011, 08:45 AM
Beginner

I don't even buy thrift store leather. I think it sends the message that leather is something we want and I don't want to wear dead animals.
#11 Old 08-21-2011, 09:01 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by amhappy1 View Post

I don't even buy thrift store leather. I think it sends the message that leather is something we want and I don't want to wear dead animals.

I don't want to wear LIVE ones!

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#12 Old 08-21-2011, 10:48 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by *AHIMSA* View Post

I don't want to wear LIVE ones!

Neither do I, but cats will be cats.
#13 Old 08-21-2011, 11:51 AM
Beginner

Thanks to everyone who took the time to respond. I appreciate everyone's input!
#14 Old 08-22-2011, 01:20 AM
Beginner

When I went vegan I decided I had to get rid of all my leather. I just didn't feel right wearing it, or even touching it/looking at it. I understand people keeping things until they wear out (especially shoes), but for me I didn't want to perpetuate the "leather is fashionable" falsity. I'm not going to lie, getting rid of some of my shoes and bags was TOUGH since I was attached to them and they were expensive and super cute (Camper shoes are amazing!), but there's no point in keeping something that goes against my morals and that I wouldn't wear anyway. I'd rather them go to someone who will get the most out of them.
#15 Old 08-22-2011, 02:11 AM
Beginner

I stopped wearing leather as a vegetarian, but continued to use the leather products I owned untill they wore out. I still have some wool clothes (well, a skirt) I'll keep wearing untill they wear out also.

I wouldn't buy animal products second hand, but I wouldn't say someone wasn't vegan if they did either. I'd rather not, because I don't have a need for it, and I'm not sure I'd be comfortable buying animal products (especially leather) knowing what they were. But I think it is in part more of an emotional thing than a logical thing, to be honest.
#16 Old 08-22-2011, 07:35 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless Git View Post

Leather, at my last check, was being disposed of as a waste product by the meat industry.

Personaly I try not buy new leather as a matter of principle but a leather boycott will never spare a single animal as the slaughter is entirely for meat.

Last I checked, the meat industry was not profitable without the leather industry
#17 Old 08-22-2011, 07:41 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless Git View Post

Last I checked, the meat industry was not profitable without the leather industry
#18 Old 08-22-2011, 07:45 AM
Vegan Very Metal

You could still be a dietary vegan and still wear leather, even though it's still hypocritical to do so.

Leather is a profitable part of the meat industry, and therefore i personally don't consider it to be a by-product.
#19 Old 08-22-2011, 09:19 AM
Beginner

The term "dietary vegan" is a load of redundant bollocks. You aren't a vegan unless you have removed animal products from your wardrobe, your household and your food. If you have only removed animals from your diet, you remain a vegetarian.

And to the question about leather, I guess you can work it out what I think.

m8itcanw8.com
#20 Old 08-22-2011, 09:30 AM
Vegan Very Metal

You love bollocks, redundant or not, don't you Nishani?
#21 Old 08-22-2011, 09:37 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent View Post

You love bollocks, redundant or not, don't you Nishani?

Only my BF's.

m8itcanw8.com
#22 Old 08-22-2011, 09:39 AM
Beginner

All other bollocky-type things, not so much.

m8itcanw8.com
#23 Old 08-22-2011, 10:32 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nishani View Post

You aren't a vegan unless you have removed animal products from your wardrobe, your household and your food. If you have only removed animals from your diet, you remain a vegetarian.

I think right now I'm just learning one part of the puzzle - - the dietary part. I am going to need help with the household part - - any resources, tips? TIA
#24 Old 08-22-2011, 10:47 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by penny79 View Post

Really? Where did you check that?
#25 Old 08-22-2011, 12:21 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyVegan View Post

I think right now I'm just learning one part of the puzzle - - the dietary part. I am going to need help with the household part - - any resources, tips? TIA

Just curious JerseyV, where did you learn about veganism?

auto correct can kiss my ask
#26 Old 04-20-2013, 01:12 PM
Beginner

After reading many of the posts on this and several other sites concerning this question, several thoughts come to mind:

1) For a person to feel good about their choices in this arena, one must experience 'CONGRUENCE'; ie: do my beliefs and my actions match up here, is this therefore a rational choice FOR ME and one I can ethically stand behind.?..

2) It seems that 90% of respondents want to compare your stated position to THEIR moral and ethical standards, which is at best inadequate and at worst downright judgemental.

As it happens I am vegetarian (and mostly vegan) purely for health reasons; similarly don't drink alcohol as it has major health consequences FOR ME. This is the rational criteria which I apply to this decision and find to be an acceptable position.

3) I'm not concerned about using the skin of an animal already dead; they're - well, you know, dead already. If I were to attempt a rational hypothesis about whether this were cruel, I would in the end have to admit that I can make no objective statement about what animals experience..I could however rationalize that raising animals makes no sense from an environmental/sustainability standpoint.

YOU must make a personal decision about what feels correct to you based on your own analysis. This is the only approach that makes any rational sense.

#27 Old 04-20-2013, 06:10 PM
Beginner

I consider myself vegan in the fact that I have stopped buying and will not buy any more animal products or by-products.

However, I turned vegan at the age of 41. I was a late comer - I guess better later than never. All my furniture is leather, some of it almost brand new. The first thing I thought when I found out I had to be vegan was “I shouldn’t have bought that red leather couch last year.” I can’t afford to ditch it. And when I get asked about it, I explain it like it is.

So yes, I use it.

The feeling is awkward, though. Like some sort of a renewed hommage, apology, reverence, blessing, or something like that, that I send to the poor animals who had to die for my comfort. I don’t really think about it, it’s not like reciting a prayer or anything, just a glimpse, more like a feeling, that comes through my mind when I sit down.

Isabelle, aka La Grenouille
My blog (in French): L’herbivore — http://lherbivore.ca
#28 Old 04-20-2013, 07:39 PM
Beginner

You can be vegan and wear pleather! wink3.gif

Even if you fall on your face, you're still moving forward.
#29 Old 04-22-2013, 03:27 AM
Vegan Police Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nishani View Post

The term "dietary vegan" is a load of redundant bollocks.

The French actually have two separate words for people who are dietary vegans and those who are vegans for animal rights. Some people eat plant food purely for health reasons, and don't really care about the animals. The French use the word "végétalien" for dietary vegans, and "vegan" for people who're into animal rights.

Pity that in English there is this confusion.

And the "dietary vegans" obviously don't care whether they use leather or wool or silk or whatever, because this has nothing to do with their health.

#30 Old 04-22-2013, 03:47 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Identity_thief View Post

I stopped wearing leather as a vegetarian, but continued to use the leather products I owned untill they wore out. I still have some wool clothes (well, a skirt) I'll keep wearing untill they wear out also.

I wouldn't buy animal products second hand, but I wouldn't say someone wasn't vegan if they did either. I'd rather not, because I don't have a need for it, and I'm not sure I'd be comfortable buying animal products (especially leather) knowing what they were. But I think it is in part more of an emotional thing than a logical thing, to be honest.

I tend to agree with everything Identity_theif said except the part about being vegetarian.I was never a vegetarian straight to vegan for me.As for owning or buying leather I don't and wouldn't.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page