What is a good sulfate shampoo ? Suave? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-20-2011, 08:58 AM
Beginner

I'm really into hair products but my shampoos are all sulfate free and all my usual hair products are silicone free (good because I have very kinky-curly dry hair anyway). However, I straightened my hair recently and I use heat protectant, which contains silicones. I need sulfates to remove them but I'm having trouble actually finding a natural, vegan, reasonably priced sulfate Shampoo... Suggestions?

I was eyeballing suave shampoo but is Suave vegan friendly? I saw herbal essences as well but I don't think that's vegan either...

**"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?"**
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-20-2011, 10:23 AM
Beginner

You can remove the silicones with Applecider vinegar rinses- no need for special shampoos. Just use one part acv and two parts water to rinse after a regular wash. In addition, acv rinses won't dry your hair out the way some of those shampoos can.

"[-]But caging them, killing them, eating them was unthinkable. We were creatures of the same world."
-Animorphs, #18

#3 Old 08-20-2011, 12:44 PM
Beginner

I'm pretty sure that isn't true, and I've tried to look it up and I haven't read anything that would lead me to believe it has been proven to remove silicones. I wish, but I haven't seen anything saying that. If you can give me a credible source confirming It, though, I would appreciate that!

I think it's probably true that it can remove the most water soluble silicones but they don't need clarifying. That isn't my situation, though.

I really need something.

Also maybe need to find a different heat protectant without silicones but I've heard that's really what protects your hair - the silicones.

**"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?"**
#4 Old 08-20-2011, 12:47 PM
Beginner

I swear I posted a response to this earlier...

So, I can't think of one that would be "natural", vegan and contain sulfates.

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#5 Old 08-20-2011, 01:23 PM
Beginner

ACV is used as a clarifying rinse. While I can't link anything scientific to prove that, I can tell you that I've spent a lot of time over the years reading up on caring for hair and participating on forums such as Longlocks and LongHairCare. ACV rinses are commonly used to remove buildup left by silicone based shampoos and other hair care products. I've used them myself to remove buildup from silicone based styling products and always had good results.

The simple fact is, most shampoos that contain sulfates are not cruelty free, so if you're really set on one...good luck!

"[-]But caging them, killing them, eating them was unthinkable. We were creatures of the same world."
-Animorphs, #18

#6 Old 08-20-2011, 01:31 PM
Beginner

Last time I checked, Suave products are still tested on animals.

"A-yup. Ya wasted yer life, son"

- Old Man
#7 Old 08-20-2011, 01:40 PM
Beginner

Yeah :/
I'm gonna check out nexus and paul mitchell and maybe aveda but we will see.

Im liking this straight hair tho. I might want to straighten it again in the next month or so. I wish there were a good silicone free heat protectant.

#8 Old 08-20-2011, 03:10 PM
Beginner

Just an update. I'm pretty sold on the Nexxus Botanoil Shampoo. Looks vegan to me:

Ingredients
Water (Aqua, Eau) , Sodium Laureth Sulfate , Cocamidopropyl Betaine , Disodium Laureth Sulfosuccinate , Sodium Laureth-6 Carboxylate , Polyquaternium-10 , PEG-6 Caprylic/Capric Glycerides , Fragrance (Parfum) , Disodium EDTA , Styrene/VP Copolymer , Limonene , Linalool , Hexyl Cinnamal , Butylphenyl Methylpropional , Citronellol , Methylchloroisothiazolinone , Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil , Methylisothiazolinone , Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Seed Oil , Rosa Canina Seed Oil , Hydrolyzed Oat Protein , Cucurbita Pepo (Pumpkin) Fruit Extract , Hydrolyzed Amaranth Protein , Citrus Aurantium Bergamia (Bergamot) Fruit Extract , Propylene Glycol

I used to love their Therappe shampoo But it has honey in it.

#9 Old 08-20-2011, 03:15 PM
Beginner

May be vegan. Not at all "natural" though.

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#10 Old 08-20-2011, 04:02 PM
Beginner

How about White Rain?
#11 Old 08-20-2011, 09:37 PM
Beginner

Suave is a P&G product, if that is an issue for you...

Nec Aspera Terrent
#12 Old 08-21-2011, 03:47 AM
Banned

Baking soda will remove the silicones, here is a link : http://www.livecurlylivefree.com/home%20remedies.htm

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page