Is Country Crock vegan? - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-25-2011, 06:09 PM
Banned

Does anyone know? I can't find an exact answer. I found it was dairy-free and vegetarian but I can't figure out if there's still an un-vegan ingredient
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-25-2011, 06:47 PM
Veggie Regular

An ingredient list I found contains whey, which is a dairy ingredient. It appears that they have several varieties though.
#3 Old 06-25-2011, 07:26 PM

If it has vitamin D in it and does not specify that it's D2, assume it's D3 and therefore, not vegan. That's what I'd do anyway.

Do you have a particular variety of Country Crock on hand? If so, which one? If you're looking for a vegan margarine, I know that Earth Balance and Blue Bonnet Light are vegan. Both can be found at Wal-Mart. I recommend the former over the latter.

#4 Old 06-25-2011, 07:40 PM
Super Moderator

According to their website, country crock has dairy, but they produce Willow Run margarine which is vegan. Willow Run, and Blue Bonnet Light both contain transfat I believe.
Stick with Earth balance or Smart Balance (the Flax oil light and Organic versions of SB are vegan-be careful!)

Last time I bought EB I found a new coconut oil spread- I don't remember anything about other than it being vegan.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#5 Old 06-25-2011, 09:49 PM

Becel now makes a vegan margarine. They actually call it Becel Vegan. Not sure what stores carry it in the US though.
#6 Old 06-25-2011, 11:42 PM
Banned

Thanks, everyone! I re-read the ingredients and saw the whey, I think the other links I found about it being non-vegan were talking about another variety from the same company.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. T View Post

If you're looking for a vegan margarine, I know that Earth Balance and Blue Bonnet Light are vegan. Both can be found at Wal-Mart. I recommend the former over the latter.

Thanks! I don't have any sort of health or organic food stores near me, like Whole Foods or Trader Joe's, so we usually shop at WalMart. I'm going to look for these next time I go.
#7 Old 06-26-2011, 06:31 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney.jessica View Post

Thanks, everyone! I re-read the ingredients and saw the whey, I think the other links I found about it being non-vegan were talking about another variety from the same company.

Thanks! I don't have any sort of health or organic food stores near me, like Whole Foods or Trader Joe's, so we usually shop at WalMart. I'm going to look for these next time I go.

I live in a really small town and my local walmart has earth balance and the smart balance light with flax. So hopefully yours will have it as well!

Sarah
#8 Old 06-26-2011, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney.jessica View Post

Wal-Mart might have the Bestlife stick margarine as well. I know they have the tub margarine, but it's not vegan. They told me in an e-mail awhile back that their stick margarine is vegan.
#9 Old 06-26-2011, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. T View Post

If it has vitamin D in it and does not specify that it's D2, assume it's D3 and therefore, not vegan. That's what I'd do anyway.

Do you have a particular variety of Country Crock on hand? If so, which one? If you're looking for a vegan margarine, I know that Earth Balance and Blue Bonnet Light are vegan. Both can be found at Wal-Mart. I recommend the former over the latter.

Question here sorry to sneak in on the op. Is all D3 non-vegan? I am suppose to take D3 everyday- I haven't been lately since it's summer and I am outside more, (not sure the doctor likes that but anyways)I know I have a hard time finding it with out gelatin in it but I didn't know if it was in something else it wasn't vegan

Chrissy
#10 Old 06-26-2011, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlight Butterfly View Post

Question here sorry to sneak in on the op. Is all D3 non-vegan? I am suppose to take D3 everyday- I haven't been lately since it's summer and I am outside more, (not sure the doctor likes that but anyways)I know I have a hard time finding it with out gelatin in it but I didn't know if it was in something else it wasn't vegan

Yes, all D3 supplements are non-vegan. It comes from sheep's wool.

Quote:
What’s The Difference Between Vitamin D2 and Vitamin D3?

Two different forms of vitamin D are used in supplements and fortified foods. Vitamin D2, also called ergocalciferol, is manufactured through the ultraviolet irradiation of a substance called ergosterol that comes from yeast. Vitamin D2 is vegan.

Vitamin D3, also called cholecalciferol, is made by the ultraviolet irradiation of a substance derived from sheep’s wool. Some research suggests that vitamin D2 and vitamin D3 are absorbed equally well,9 although other studies suggest that vitamin D3 is better absorbed.10 If you are treated for a vitamin D deficiency, you may find that your health care provider recommends taking a higher dose of vitamin D2 than of vitamin D3 to compensate for possible differences in absorption.2 This is an area of active research that we will continue to follow.

http://www.vrg.org/blog/2010/09/21/f...out-vitamin-d/
#11 Old 09-20-2015, 04:10 PM

Vegan Margarine

Becel makes a vegan margarine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page