Is Jimmy John's bread vegan? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-21-2011, 03:36 PM
Beginner

I've done a google search and can't seem to find the answer to this question. Some say yes, some say no and others aren't sure. I know most breads aren't but I just love me some Jimmy Johns and hoping their bread is safe to eat.

Anyone out there know for sure? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-21-2011, 04:24 PM
Arrrg! Me mateys.

The only things I've aware of being vegan at Jimmy John's are the plain chips and the lettuce wrap with no mayo or cheese.
I'm going to see if I can find anything.

Edit: Well I found out that Jimmy John's will not give a specific answer about the bread. I'm going to send an email asking about specific ingredients. I'll post a response if and when I get one.

Edit2:
http://i.imgur.com/PdY2u.jpg

Not vegan. I'll still post the answer I get from JJ if I get one, though.

korrakorrakorrakorrakorra
#3 Old 03-22-2011, 04:17 AM
Beginner

The photo you've linked is the ingredients for the bread? Bummer.

Sorry to be a dunce, but what is the ingredient(s) that makes it not vegan?

And thanks so much for finding an answer.
#4 Old 03-22-2011, 04:42 AM
Beginner

Well, the bread I buy is usually as all-natural as possible, because my brain just doesn't work to remember the vegan status of ALL those insane ingredients.

But I do know that I have yet to find a vegan version of L-cysteine. And L-cysteine is in there. So is calcium stearate. I know a lot of the "lactic acid" kind of ingredients that SOUND like they are from milk or animals are actually vegan... But calcium stearate isn't, as far as I know..
#5 Old 03-22-2011, 01:01 PM
Arrrg! Me mateys.

Yep. The L-cysteine (there is at least one synthetic version out there, but out of all the companies I've ever asked, they're using the real thing) is derived from duck feathers or human hair, and I think to a lesser extent pigs' hooves and maybe hair. (Yep here it is.)
The calcium stearate is not vegan, and the "enzyme" could be anything so that is questionable.

#6 Old 03-24-2011, 05:10 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppet Master View Post

L-cysteine (there is at least one synthetic version out there, but out of all the companies I've ever asked, they're using the real thing) is derived from duck feathers or human hair.

I called SO many companies in the beginning, hoping to find one that wasn't made from animals. After about the seventh company I sat on hold with, got transferred, had to be called back by someone higher up, etc... I gave up. Because every friggin' one ended up being "from avian feathers."

I kept hoping I'd find one made from human hair, so that I could have a fun little debate with myself about whether or not I could/would eat it, but that never happened. I asked all the people, "I hear they can make it from human hair. I'm really hoping yours is made from human hair. Is it?"
Puppet Master likes this.
#7 Old 03-24-2011, 12:35 PM
Beginner

Thank you so much for the info. Now I know to look for the L-cysteine in other products as well. You've been a great help!
#8 Old 03-25-2011, 02:43 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppet Master View Post

The only things I've aware of being vegan at Jimmy John's are the plain chips and the lettuce wrap with no mayo or cheese.
I'm going to see if I can find anything.

Ooh, they have lettuce wraps? I will have to try that next time some omnivores want to go there.
#9 Old 03-25-2011, 08:07 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilwheatonfan View Post

Ooh, they have lettuce wraps? I will have to try that next time some omnivores want to go there.

the do have lettuce wraps, but basically it's just sprouts, tomatoes, and guacamole wrapped in an iceberg lettuce leaf. granted it IS a vegan option if you don't have a say in choosing where to eat, but be prepared to be VERY hungry afterwards. unless you order like three of them or something and some chips to go with it. :P
#10 Old 03-31-2011, 10:37 AM
Arrrg! Me mateys.

Quote:
Thanks for eating at Jimmy John's, we love our customers! I am writing you back in response to your earlier e-mail.
You ask what are if our bread is vegan friendly at Jimmy John's:

Our bread is not vegan friendly.

I hope that this answer is helpful. We appreciate your business.

Jimmy John's

Got the reply back. Yeah, not vegan.

#11 Old 03-31-2011, 12:19 PM
Beginner

Cultured Wheat Flour Sponge????

“May all sentient beings be free of pain and suffering.  May all sentient beings experience eternal joy and happiness.  gate gate pāragate pārasaṃgate bodhi svāhā.”
http://www.facebook.com/doktormartini
http://twitter.com/#!/MartyBaureis
http://doktormartini.tumblr.com

#12 Old 03-31-2011, 12:45 PM
Beginner

Pre-ferment - nothing to do with the aquatic animal.
#13 Old 04-02-2011, 08:37 PM
Beginner

This is really a bummer... someone should suggest for them to have a vegan option.

I guess they just lost a customer.
#14 Old 02-13-2013, 06:52 PM
Beginner

As far as the lettuce wraps at Jimmy John's goes, I suggest you order extra veggies to go in it - tomatoes, cucumbers, onions, lettuce, and hot peppers if you like. If you get double servings of all that in there, at least you'll be getting about the same amount as a dinner salad, and it doesn't cost any extra (except for the hot peppers).

#15 Old 10-18-2013, 09:29 PM
Beginner

#16 Old 04-22-2014, 12:54 PM
Beginner

I know this is old but just wanted to say thank you so much for the info! You guys saved me from eating hair and animal products today!! Also since learning about the lettuce wrap I don't have to feel like a jerk by turning down my co-worker's offer to buy lunch. Yay:) 

#17 Old 04-24-2014, 01:21 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelina111 View Post

I know this is old but just wanted to say thank you so much for the info! You guys saved me from eating hair and animal products today!! Also since learning about the lettuce wrap I don't have to feel like a jerk by turning down my co-worker's offer to buy lunch. Yay:) 

what's not vegan about human-hair derived L-cysteine?

i don't think it's any different from breast-milk which is also generally considered vegan:

http://www.dailyfinance.com/2011/02/25/breast-milk-ice-cream-human-cheese-are-finding-an-audience-wh/

i should also note that synthetic and bacterial L-cysteine are widely used and manufacturers do not have to add L-cysteine to the ingredients list. (many commercial bread and bread-like products have  L-cysteine even it's not on the ingredients list.)

#18 Old 04-24-2014, 01:24 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppet Master View Post

The calcium stearate is not vegan, and the "enzyme" could be anything so that is questionable.

I think most stearate is now plant derived.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page