Veganism and mood swings - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-23-2011, 05:22 PM
Beginner

I found this wile reading online articles on the pros and cons of a vegan diet:

Each of the 9 essential amino acids is not found in vegetarian diets. Inadequacy of this may result in tiredness, moodiness - due to the fluctuation in blood sugar levels, lack of motivation and poor performance at work or during exercise

Can anyone tell me if there is any truth to this? Because I HAVE been experiencing mood swings lately, and I've been vegan for only about 2 weeks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-23-2011, 05:26 PM
Beginner

I feel the same... I felt sick just recently and it felt like it's because I'm lacking something. I don't know if taking vitamins will help. Your question is a good one. I'd like to hear from some experienced vegans on this too.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.
-Buddha
#3 Old 02-23-2011, 05:49 PM
Beginner

hhmmmm...i never experienced these things. I am anemic and take supplements but I've always been like this. Even before becoming vegan. I feel better as a vegan than I ever did before.

Atame.
#4 Old 02-23-2011, 05:51 PM
Beginner

I'm sometimes moody but it's not about amino acids.

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#5 Old 02-23-2011, 06:01 PM
Ankle Biter

Quote:
Originally Posted by *AHIMSA* View Post

I'm sometimes moody but it's not about amino acids.

Same here. I've had periods of moodiness my whole life - from pms to pregnancy to menopause - nearly all female hormone related, little to do with diet.

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#6 Old 02-23-2011, 06:13 PM
Beginner

Think your mood swings could be due to the pyschological state of diet change rather than the nutritional content?
Were you vegetarian before? Due you track your diet, like on sparkpeople.com, or fitday.com?
You do need to be careful about where you find nutritional information, and I'm not saying that with any bias. Don't underestimate the meat and dairy industry. Weston Price Foundation is infiltrated in nutritional info as gelatin is in candy!
All amino acids are found in plant foods. You don't need to combine them at every meal to found a complete protein- your body does that over time.
If you're new to being vegan I do suggest you supplement with a shake or something. I used: http://www.swansonvitamins.com/NW587/ItemDetail?n=0
Alive whole food ultrashake. I posted this link because it's the cheapest. It's vegan. Helped me a lot in the beginning when I wasn't always sure what I'd eat.
Go to PCRM.com (physicians commited to responsible medicine) for their 30 day vegan challenge. Lots of help.
This site gives a breakdown of proteins. Remember the food quantities are for comparisons only, they're not saying eat 6 1/2 potatoes to get complete proteins! http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/protein.htm
#7 Old 02-23-2011, 06:23 PM
Beginner

^ Thanks for the info!
#8 Old 02-23-2011, 06:39 PM
Super Moderator

My only mood swings are PMS related.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#9 Old 02-23-2011, 06:48 PM
Beginner

Azerea, the article you've read is not reliable. It's full of misinformation and is pasted all over the net with no references to credible sources of info.

Quote:
tiredness, moodiness - due to the fluctuation in blood sugar levels, lack of motivation and poor performance at work or during exercise

These are all symptoms which can be attributed to many different conditions from minor stuff to serious diseases. And in only two weeks of veganism, I would doubt that they were related to it. However, if you don't feel right in yourself, the best thing to do is head straight to a doctor for a blood test.

m8itcanw8.com
#10 Old 02-23-2011, 06:50 PM
Beginner

If you're eating properly then there's no reason to blame your diet. I mean, even the WHO and all other major health organisations agree that a vegan diet is ok, so that article is probably just more veg*n bashing to support an omni-normative culture and avoid facing facts.
That said, if you are experiencing mood swings, it could be from not knowing how to feed yourself (if you're new to veganism then you have to make sure you put a bit more effort into planning your diet than usual!), or just the shock of making the switch.

Figure out what it is an take supplements, and don't rely on those sorts of articles. Veganism is accepted as a healthy diet, and mostly those trying to oppose it have vested interests in the meat industry or are uncomfortable with their own ethics and instead project their anger onto those they secretly perceive as ethically superior (ok, that sounded smug, but this is what I used to do as an omni).

In this grand illusion of entitlement to life / Our 'need' is a mask for our greed and it's not right /
We are executioners who parade ourselves as kings / As selfish and deluded as the blood-bathed Bathory. ~Kingdom, 'Bathory' xVx
#11 Old 02-24-2011, 12:17 AM
Beginner

My moods are much better than when I was younger. I feel down much less. In fact I seldom do anymore. (I usually think of what alternatives my life could be and that usually does it) I never noticed a change when I finally went vegan. The process was very gradual for me over a number of years though.
#12 Old 02-24-2011, 01:39 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by azerea_02 View Post

Each of the 9 essential amino acids is not found in vegetarian diets.

That's just a huge lie. All of the essential amino acids can be provided by a vegan diet - and it's not hard to do, just eat a variety of food, and enough calories.

So considering this, even if people have experienced different mood swings since becomming vegan, if could be for a whole hoard of reasons including their age (ie: pubery/meopause), what they eat (ie: high refined sugar diets causing your moods to go up and down), a medical condition/problem, stress, emotional problems, or it could be psychosymatic.

Everyones mood changes, and if you start to think about it you can think your having more mood swings than normal when infact you're just noticing your changes in mood more acutely.

Also, you said you've only been vegan two weeks, I'm not a doctor but I'm fairly sure that's not long enough for any sort of deficiecy to develop - I know you can store enough B12 in your body to last you years. (Btw, B12 is a vitimin you should be taking - or you should be eating fortified B12 food - as a vegan as it's the only thing a vegan diet DOESN'T provide ). I have seen a lot of new vegetarians or vegans claiming to feel weak, dizzy, tired, lathargic, experience mood swings, etc etc etc, and it turns out they only became vegetarian or vegan a few days or a couple of weeks ago. I think people can worry unnessersairly and convince themselves they are feeling ill/different to normal, because it's how they expect/are worried they may feel.

This doesn't nessersairly apply to you of course, but it's something to bare in mind. A varied diet with enough calories should will provide enough amino acids. If you are worried about vegan nutrition you could take a look at: http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Vegetaria...egandiets.aspx (NHS article on vegan diets), http://www.chooseveg.com/vegan-food-pyramid.asp vegan food pyramid to show what kinds of foods should make up your diet and the nutrition section of vegan societys website http://www.vegansociety.com/lifestyle/nutrition/ .

#13 Old 02-24-2011, 01:41 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Identity_thief View Post

That's just a huge lie. All of the essential amino acids can be provided by a vegan diet - and it's not hard to do, just eat a variety of food, and enough calories.

So considering this, even if people have experienced different mood swings since becomming vegan, if could be for a whole hoard of reasons including their age (ie: pubery/meopause), what they eat (ie: high refined sugar diets causing your moods to go up and down), a medical condition/problem, stress, emotional problems, or it could be psychosymatic.

Everyones mood changes, and if you start to think about it you can think your having more mood swings than normal when infact you're just noticing your changes in mood more acutely.

Also, you said you've only been vegan two weeks, I'm not a doctor but I'm fairly sure that's not long enough for any sort of deficiecy to develop - I know you can store enough B12 in your body to last you years. (Btw, B12 is a vitimin you should be taking - or you should be eating fortified B12 food - as a vegan as it's the only thing a vegan diet DOESN'T provide ). I have seen a lot of new vegetarians or vegans claiming to feel weak, dizzy, tired, lathargic, experience mood swings, etc etc etc, and it turns out they only became vegetarian or vegan a few days or a couple of weeks ago. I think people can worry unnessersairly and convince themselves they are feeling ill/different to normal, because it's how they expect/are worried they may feel.

This doesn't nessersairly apply to you of course, but it's something to bare in mind. A varied diet with enough calories should will provide enough amino acids. If you are worried about vegan nutrition you could take a look at: http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Vegetaria...egandiets.aspx (NHS article on vegan diets), http://www.chooseveg.com/vegan-food-pyramid.asp vegan food pyramid to show what kinds of foods should make up your diet and the nutrition section of vegan societys website http://www.vegansociety.com/lifestyle/nutrition/ .

Great post.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#14 Old 02-24-2011, 03:05 AM
Beginner

Adding high protein vegetables to your diet will balance your nutrient value. Foods like beans, grains, nuts, seeds, spinach, turnips, lettuce, carrots, radishes, cabbage, onions, beetroots, cucumbers and all green leaves, quinoa and soy are rich in proteins. Proteins contain essential amino acids. Fruits such as pomegranates, melons, oranges, apples, pineapple, papaya, grapes, raspberries and plums are all rich sources of amino acids. Some food garnishes such as mint, garlic, ginger and almonds also contain high percentages of amino acids.

Have a balanced food with combination of low and high proteins to get the essential amino acids supply to your body. Combine beans with Brown rice, seeds, corn, wheat and nuts.
Or combine brown rice with beans, seeds, nuts and wheat.

All soy products are rich in essential amino acids. You can opt for tofu, soy oil, soy flour, soy milk, soy cheese or soy based meat substitutes.

Yogurt is the only complete protein derived from animal is good as it contains Lactobacillus acidophilus and other friendly bacteria needed for digestion. It also contains vitamin A, C & B complex vitamins.

Sweetened or flavored yogurts will not contain the same nutrient value as plain yogurt due to sugar and preservatives content.

Miracle Mineral Supplement | Resveratrol Australia
#15 Old 02-24-2011, 09:39 AM
Beginner

Everyone has pretty much said all the important stuff. I think it could be a psychological thing....you think you should feel bad, so you do.

I had never felt better then after I went vegan. My energy had spiked up, my skin cleared up, I was working out, I was just happier. Think positive.

Whenever I did have something with cheese, or a taste of meat...I sunk low. I became mush and just meloncolly.

~ Namaste ~

follow me @GreenMommaCow
#16 Old 02-24-2011, 12:57 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by azerea_02 View Post

Each of the 9 essential amino acids is not found in vegetarian diets. Inadequacy of this may result in tiredness, moodiness - due to the fluctuation in blood sugar levels, lack of motivation and poor performance at work or during exercise

Uh, since when are the 9 essential amino acids (8 if you're an adult) not found in vegetarian diets? The person who wrote this is 10000% ignorant. I recently updated my entry on protein here, which even shows that spinach has a better essential amino acid profile than most cuts of beef. Spinach.

Look How EASY it is to be Vegan: http://dailyveganeats.tumblr.com (Tumblr blog); http://twitter.com/dailyveganeats (by-the-meal Tweets!)
Why Vegans Shouldn't Worry About (and how to add in more)...
Protein: http://tinyurl.com/2uquvh7, Iron: http://tinyurl.com/3anud79, Calcium:...
#17 Old 02-24-2011, 12:59 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy View Post

Same here. I've had periods of moodiness my whole life - from pms to pregnancy to menopause - nearly all female hormone related, little to do with diet.

same here minus menopause!!! Add in kids, I'm mood swing queen!

Went vegetarian on the 27th December 2013!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page