Mashed potatoes with almond milk? Or should I use soy? - VeggieBoards - A Vegetarian Community
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-06-2010, 11:11 AM
Beginner

So, the BF and I are having our first Thanksgiving in our first house.

I've been vegetarian since I was about 10 and finally made it to vegan (I know, it took me a while). I'm wanting to make vegan mashed potatoes but don't know what type of "milk" to use. I'm personally a fan of almond milk and am thinking about using that, but am not sure how it will turn out. Any thoughts are appreciated

I remember we also used to put sour cream in our mashed potatoes when I was little--any recomendations for sour cream substitutes--I haven't tried any yet?

Thanks in advance guys, I just want his family (huge on meat) and mine (not so big on meat, but still omnis) to really enjoy Thanksgiving with us.

Thanks guys--any tips are appreciated!

"Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned...will we realize that we cannot eat money." Wisdom of ancient Cree.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-06-2010, 11:20 AM
Beginner

I love almond milk, but wouldn't think of using it in mashed potatoes! I use soymilk -even the sweetened kind if that's all I have.
I like to simmer garlic cloves in earth balance and a little canola oil and mash them up with the potatoes.
I never tryed tofutti sour cream-how about soy yogurt and onion soup mix?
#3 Old 11-06-2010, 11:20 AM
Beginner

I would probably favour unsweetened soy milk - I think almond would be a bit too sweet. Tofutti sour supreme sour cream is brilliant, too, I've served it to omnis and they (and I!) can't tell the difference.

ÂMay all beings everywhere plagued with sufferings of body and mind quickly be freed from their pain. May those frightened cease to be afraid, and may those bound be free. May the powerless find power, and may people befriend all life. May those of all species who find themselves lost, the young,...
#4 Old 11-06-2010, 11:21 AM
Ira
Banned

I wouldn't use almond milk. Personally, when it comes to mashed potatoes i prefer rice milk
#5 Old 11-06-2010, 11:38 AM
Banned

I wouldn't use any milk at all because they are all a bit sweet. I just use Earth Balance and truffle oil (and a little water if needed). Truffle oil is incredible and gives a slight savory flavor that most people can't identify. Then throw in your choice of spices and chives and you got some fantastic mashed potatoes.
#6 Old 11-06-2010, 11:46 AM
Beginner

Thanks guys--these all sound like great ideas...I'm thinking I'll stay away from the almond milk. Guess I'll have to make a few trial batches before Thanksgiving since these all make me super hungry for taters!

"Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned...will we realize that we cannot eat money." Wisdom of ancient Cree.
#7 Old 11-06-2010, 01:19 PM
Beginner

I've used both. Can't tell a difference.

You're gonna make me puke my pants.
#8 Old 11-06-2010, 01:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty View Post

Guess I'll have to make a few trial batches before Thanksgiving since these all make me super hungry for taters!

Actually, that's a really good idea. You may even want to get input from the family to see what they like.
#9 Old 11-06-2010, 03:19 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepydvdr View Post

I wouldn't use any milk at all because they are all a bit sweet. I just use Earth Balance and truffle oil (and a little water if needed). Truffle oil is incredible and gives a slight savory flavor that most people can't identify. Then throw in your choice of spices and chives and you got some fantastic mashed potatoes.

Truffle oil sounds amazing, thanks for the idea! I generally don't put any type of milk in them either, I just mash them up with some Earth Balance and spices and a little water, they still come out fluffy and amazing. Honestly using milk instead of water doesn't make much of a taste difference in my experience, so I just skip it.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#10 Old 11-06-2010, 05:31 PM
Beginner

I'll use soy or rice. The rice works fine even though it's a sweet milk. I also like to keep a soy powder in the cupboard and use that for potatoes or pancakes etc. Anything cooked.
#11 Old 11-06-2010, 05:43 PM
Beginner

Almond milk has that distinct nutty flavor. I don't know how that would go with potatoes.
#12 Old 11-06-2010, 08:07 PM
Beginner

I think Almond Milk (unsweetened, of course) would be WONDERFUL in mashed potatoes. with some roasted garlic, and a little fresh tarragon and rosemary...

Nec Aspera Terrent
#13 Old 11-06-2010, 08:30 PM
Beginner

I use unsweetened almondmilk, but only a couple tablespoons full, for any additional creamyness I use EB. The truffle oil is a REALLY good idea! I usually mix in quite a few cloves of roasted garlic mush along with rosemary, thyme, and sage.

Misstress of Fabulousness and Fashion! - *AHIMSA*
#14 Old 11-06-2010, 08:37 PM
Beginner

Someone help me.

I saw truffle oil in the store the other day, and thought "OH HEY I WANT THAT!"

But I didn't buy it because some TV show a million years ago told me they have to use trained female pigs or dogs to sniff out the truffles. (Truffles smell like sexy men? I forget. Whatever.)

In any case, yes, I realize we use animals indirectly for many foods. Bees are transported around to pollinate fields, people truck in worms to chow through soil for plants, etc. But truffles seem so... Unnecessary... I was just wondering - is my brain remembering this correctly? Do they use pigs and dogs to harvest truffles? If so... I just... I don't think I'm okay with buying it.
#15 Old 11-06-2010, 09:28 PM
Beginner

Since most other veggies are farmed rather than wild harvested, I would imagine theyr'e farmed too. You would probably have to find some specialty artesian truffles found only in a single forrest in France rooted up by a magic pig to find truffles that involve pigs anymore.

Misstress of Fabulousness and Fashion! - *AHIMSA*
#16 Old 11-06-2010, 09:50 PM
Beginner

I enjoy mashed potatoes (too often) and truly can't tell a difference in using soy and almond milk...
#17 Old 11-07-2010, 04:50 AM
Beginner

Re:truffles - Wikipedia says "Eighty percent of the truffles now produced in France come from specially planted truffle-fields. Nonetheless, production has yet to recover its 1900s peaks. Local farmers are opposed to a return of mass production, which would decrease the price of truffles. There are now truffle-growing areas in the US, Spain, Sweden, New Zealand, Australia, Chile and the UK." So you might be ok unless you're buying the insanely expensive ones.

ETA: Actually, have just found this, also Wikipedia -

Truffle oil is often used as a lower cost and convenient substitute for truffles, to provide flavouring or to enhance the flavour and aroma of truffles in cooking. Most "truffle oil" however, does not contain any truffles.The vast majority is olive oil which has been artificially flavoured using a synthetic agent such as 2,4-dithiapentane. Daniel Patterson reported in the New York Times that "even now, you will find chefs who are surprised to hear that truffle oil does not actually come from real truffles." Many chefs continue to use inexpensive synthetic truffle oil, considering it to be "a reasonable substitute."

ÂMay all beings everywhere plagued with sufferings of body and mind quickly be freed from their pain. May those frightened cease to be afraid, and may those bound be free. May the powerless find power, and may people befriend all life. May those of all species who find themselves lost, the young,...
#18 Old 11-07-2010, 09:16 AM
Beginner

Maybe it's just me but I've always hated any kind of cream in my potatoes, just mashed potatoes and maybe a little water. Blend them well enough and they'll be pretty creamy. Though if your going for super creamy potatoes I'd suggest plain soymilk

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will then know peace" - Jimi Hendrix
#19 Old 11-07-2010, 09:40 AM
Beginner

I've used everything in mashed potatoes from soy milk to almond milk to a little vegetable stock. It's all awesome (and all the milks are plain and unsweetened).
#20 Old 11-10-2010, 12:37 PM
Beginner

Thanks everyone for all your help! I'll make a few trials with different milks and without to see what works out best. I love potatoes every which way, so I think I may have a hard time picking which one to use in the end, but I'll try!

Hope everyone has a fantastic Thanksgiving!

#21 Old 11-10-2010, 01:03 PM
Beginner

I think the best thing to use is the potato boiling water. No milk is needed.
#22 Old 11-10-2010, 03:37 PM
Beginner

I've used both, but I prefer soy because it's thicker. Almond milk makes the potatoes kind of translucent. But they both taste the same I think.
#23 Old 11-10-2010, 03:37 PM
Beginner

I make a kind of cheesy flavoured sauce from half a cup of cashews, half a cup of water, a block of silken tofu, a teaspoon of rice wine vinegar, a teaspoon of salt, and a teaspoon of garlic salt. It makes a really nice kind of creamy, cheesy, garlicky mashed potatoes, if you mix it in with a bit more salt and pepper, and maybe some more garlic. It also bakes into a nice crust on things like lasagne.

Otherwise, I'd just go with some kind of non-dairy margarine and salt. I've never really used milk in mashed potatoes.

Bringing home the fakin' bacon.
#24 Old 11-10-2010, 03:53 PM
Beginner

I loathe mashed potatoes. I can't even stand the smell. My husband loves them. He's an omni. We rarely have milk in the house, so when I make him mashed potatoes, I always use my unsweetened, unflavored almond milk. He's never complained once, so it must be good. Rice milk apparently made them too sweet. I don't like soy milk really so I don't know if I've ever made them with that.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#25 Old 11-13-2010, 01:20 PM
Beginner

I drink almond milk exclusively, but soy is thicker

--
The Twilight Is My Robe

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page