Warm Vegan Coats - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-13-2010, 08:13 AM
Beginner

The thread debating weather the person who buys leather should be considered a vegan or not got me thinking about my own personal items that are leather that I would like to replace in the near future. Most specifically, my leather coat. Semi-Charmed said that she would not feel right wrapping cow hide around her after she became vegan, and I agree.

Sooo that being said, where the heck do you buy your winter jackets and such? I live in Minnesota and the winters here get very cold. I've always owned leather jackets for winter because they are so heavy and the warmest you can get, but what can I buy that is vegan for this winter?

Also, this may be a dumb question, but how do I find out if shoes are vegan? I just checked my running shoes and my dress shoes, and neither of them had a label that said what they are made of.......

-Kari, Minnesota mommy, wife and vegetarian. treatyourbodyright.blogspot.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-13-2010, 08:44 AM
Beginner

I cant offer any advice on coats. I just buy Cotton/Twill ones and layer up with scarfs and such. But as far as shoes go it should say on them what theyre made from, perhaps just symbols but it should be on there.
I did a lot of research to find shoes, and you may find it difficult to find fully vegan ones. For example a company may not use leather/suede but the glues may be animal derived.
From my research I have found that these are trustworthy fully vegan companies:
Rocketdog (only some are vegan, basically they only use animal glue on their leather range, if its manmade its got animalfree glue)
Inamagura

Hope this helps
#3 Old 09-13-2010, 09:34 AM
Beginner

I got a great coat insulated with polyfill, it was warm but I'll be getting a new one this year.
I really want a peacoat but they all seem to be made of wool!
I agree any advice veteren vegans can offer would be helpful. And as far as shoes, they usually should say, if not look up the company or shoe online

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will then know peace" - Jimi Hendrix
#4 Old 09-13-2010, 10:01 AM
Arrrg! Me mateys.

1. Search Kaboodle.com for specific terms (e.g. "vegan coat" "vegan jacket" "vegan shoes"). You'll pull up quite a few things.
2. You can check this to see if any of your shoes display these. You can also search up the brand names and try to figure it out from there (or post 'em here). If your running shoes has a part that looks or feels like leather, chances are, it probably is.
3. Some vegan shoes you can search through for reference are here and here (also here, but you have to search through each item manually.

korrakorrakorrakorrakorra
#5 Old 09-13-2010, 08:44 PM
Beginner

For shoes it's gotten to the point where I can tell by looking at it if it's got leather or not...I guess I wasn't aware of animal glues. New Balance makes a fair number of athletic shoes w/o leather.

keep posting some info though...appreciate the tips so far. I'm gonna need durable jacket and boots for some outdoor work this winter.
#6 Old 09-14-2010, 01:10 AM
dub
Beginner

I just ordered a pair of vegan shoes online. I live in Germany though, and there are some companies that produce vegan shoes in Europe. One of them is called Vegetarian Shoes, and they have really nice ones. Airseal also makes great vegan shoes, they look like Doc Martens. I found the links on a German veggie-board, but if I just put 'Vegan shoes' into a search engine, it pulls them up as well. That would be my suggestion to find out if there are vegan shoe companies in the U.S.

As far as coats, I have a synthetic down coat that is extremely warm and cozy.

Edit: As far as I'm concerned, there is nothing wrong with wearing the non-vegan shoes (or coats, if I had any that were animal-made) that I bought before I became a vegan. On the contrary, I would consider it wasteful as well as disrespectful to the animals that they were made of, if I would throw them in the garbage. That is of course a matter of personal choice.
#7 Old 09-14-2010, 01:25 AM
Beginner

^ I can see what youre saying, but I couldnt face wearing something even if Id bought it pre veg*n. The best thing to do would be to sell and use the money to replace with vegan items, or donate to a friend/family member who isnt veg*n. Then at least that way its being used.

Ill have to look into those 'doc martin' sounding boots. I wanted somethng like that but Doc Martin use animal glue and leather so theyre out for me
#8 Old 09-14-2010, 01:27 PM
Beginner

I've never lived anywhere that cold, but can you just layer? Also, non-leather shoes usually say man-made materials somewhere on the tag, sole, etc., though that may not guarantee that the glue is vegan.

You're gonna make me puke my pants.
#9 Old 09-14-2010, 08:27 PM
Beginner

I've also got use to layers. Even in Ohio with some pretty cold winters, I find a long sleaved cotton tee shirt, thick hoodie, and a nylon windbreaker serves well. My biggest neccessities are a scarf (mostly for emergency runny nose) and gloves.
Don't they make pea coats with that felt like recycled material? I admit, I was devastated when I learned the truth about modern wool. I adored the image of the pet sheep getting cooled in the summer heat, and the farmer getting warm clothes forthe winter.
If we weren't such a disposable, greedy society, it could still be that way.
I buy everything used, so I admit I don't beyond what I can tell is used.
I love my vegan earth shoes- does anyone have their boots? Crocs had lined boots on their clearance I thought looked nice.
#10 Old 09-14-2010, 10:56 PM
Beginner

Check out Vaute Couture. It's a tiny venture that's in its second season. The designer behind it, Leanne, is ridiculously nice, and she's totally devoted to cruelty-free, super eco-friendly, stylish, warm vegan winterwear. (And this year she has men's coats!!)

Right now, you can preorder her Fall/Winter 2010 lineup at huge discounts -- She does this so she can fund the production run. I just ordered today 9/14 and the discount is at 45%, but it goes to 35% Wednesday. (Each week the prices will get closer and closer to full price.) The orders will ship in mid-October, I believe.

Here's the link to the coat collection: https://www.vautecouture.com/c-2-coats.aspx
Here's the link to her blog, which has all the details on the pre-order sale: http://onoursleeve.com/
Here's a link to a video about Leanne/Vaute Couture by The Discerning Brute: http://vimeo.com/9510473

I'm super excited about my slim vegan Pea coat. I never thought I'd be able to find one, considering the rather ugly state of men's vegan coats, but it seems like Leanne is changing things.
#11 Old 09-15-2010, 04:03 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubbersoul View Post

Here's the link to the coat collection: https://www.vautecouture.com/c-2-coats.aspx

Ohhh, I love the BELDEN coat! But $236... yikes!
#12 Old 09-15-2010, 07:21 AM
Beginner

I wish I had thought to do this much research before I went to Russia. I found myself pressed for time and needing a coat.

As far as layering, in some places, the cold is wayyy to much for that. I needed my big puffy coat in Russia. (I'm assuming the issue here is more down than wool. It would be easier to find a non-wool coat with the warmness potential of wool)
#13 Old 09-15-2010, 09:25 PM
Beginner

n any ideas for winter gloves? I only have 1 pair and they are the super bulky kind where you can't really move your fingers lol
#14 Old 09-16-2010, 01:26 AM
dub
Beginner

I just found this great blog about vegan shoes... http://greatgreenshoes.com/
I really want a pair of the sugar boots! LOVE!
#15 Old 09-16-2010, 09:20 AM
Beginner

I'm finding myself scoffing at this thread. I moved to Florida and left half my coats in storage at my dad's house in Tennessee. I want cold. =(

#16 Old 09-16-2010, 02:45 PM
Beginner

Here in Minnesota it literally gets down to -20° ....sometimes even colder. That is just beyond "cold"... that's downright painful!!! Blech!!

-Kari, Minnesota mommy, wife and vegetarian. treatyourbodyright.blogspot.com
#17 Old 09-16-2010, 03:00 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by kari_lynn222 View Post

Here in Minnesota it literally gets down to -20° ....sometimes even colder. That is just beyond "cold"... that's downright painful!!! Blech!!

Same here. Colder, even! Canada = cold. Very cold. -40 w/ windchill cold. :P I feel your pain!
#18 Old 09-16-2010, 04:06 PM
Beginner

HA. Even in TN, it rarely got into the teens or lower. Mostly 20s to 40s in winter.

#19 Old 09-25-2010, 07:23 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubbersoul View Post

Right now, you can preorder her Fall/Winter 2010 lineup at huge discounts -- She does this so she can fund the production run. I just ordered today 9/14 and the discount is at 45%, but it goes to 35% Wednesday. (Each week the prices will get closer and closer to full price.) The orders will ship in mid-October, I believe.

Im so bummed i missed the first week discount to preorder! When my dad got sick I totally forgot. Oh well..should have set my alarm.
#20 Old 09-25-2010, 07:33 PM
Banned

I'm a "layers" man. Thin t-shirt, long sleeve flannel on top and then my freakin 80's coat that's still in B+ shape gets me through the coldest midwest winter nights. (not so much that I'm "too poor" to buy a nice new coat (I could buy the best if it was really important to me)) ( Ok, I lived in Cali for a few years and didn't use the thick stupid coat)

Funny, when I was a member of the most stupid kids on the planet, I thought "vegetarians" would get too cold.

Now that I'm vegan for years. let me tell you (you'll have to be old enough to know what a real American muscle car smells like inside when still fairly new )

Well I'm hot blooded check it and see got a fever of hundred and three come on baby..... (that's Foreigner, for you clueless freaks)
#21 Old 09-26-2010, 08:39 AM
Beginner

I will probably get a new winter coat this year (as I have a sneaking suspicion that I have become too fat to fit into my old one.) I will probably look for a secondhand one, what really annoys me is that so many coats have a pointless and small percentage of wool which prevents me from buying it.
#22 Old 11-08-2010, 09:21 PM
Beginner

I know this post is a little old but I thought I'd bump it with some maybe useful info! I actually just moved to Minnesota and being vegan was having a really hard time finding a winter coat.

Lands End has a few non-feather/down/leather coats - I actually found one on sale and it's all synthetic material - it's in the squall line but I just looked and it's not on the website anymore. But check this one out:
http://www.landsend.com/pp/Insulated...1&origin=index

Patagonia has some nice vegan things as well, but it seems a little pricier.

Hope you stay warm!

Keep the suggestions coming if you have them - I have yet to find a long not-down coat that isn't $400.
#23 Old 11-09-2010, 01:13 PM
Beginner

I recently got a trench coat on sale for 50 dollars. A little thin, but layering works fine. I tend not to worry about things like glues. As long as the materials are man made/cotton, I'm fine. When I was browsing for coats I found a nice faux leather coat by i think Tommy Hilfiger that was quite warm. I'd recommend just going to a department store like macy's and browsing. You're bound to find something.

Also, for online shoppers: check out waxed cotton jackets (also called oil cloth). They're weather proof and I'm sure some are very warm. Barbour also makes some very nice (if pricy) and fashionable coats, some of which are oil cloth. J Crew has a really nice jacket made of oilcloth as well:
http://tinyurl.com/2dz9veu

All depends on how much you're willing to spend. Personally, I see no ethical problem with buying a wool coat at a second hand or thrift store if you can (and if you're comfortable with it). I bought a wool scarf at a thrift store that helps keep my neck warm. Got to be ethical, but my wallet has feelings too.
#24 Old 11-09-2010, 01:48 PM
Beginner

Kari, I got a nice, warm coat at Kohl's a few years ago. They've had some sweatshop troubles since then (not quite sure about their transparency, but yeah...), but might still be ok.

I'd second the idea of a thrift shop though. I'd bet you can find something non-wool, even.

*giggles* thinking about how many layers you would have to wear in February. I was in the Twin Cities once in January and I really think it was the coldest weather I'd ever been in. Wind whipping through, blowing around little children like kites...whew.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page