Blending destroys nutrients in fruits and vegetables! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-20-2010, 02:38 PM
Beginner

Hi,

Sorry if this is in the wrong section. I was looking for information on blending, and come across a video blending vs juicing: which is better. Its goes on about how we can't digest fibre well enough so should limit are intake to a degree and juice vegetables and blend fruits, stating that we should do both. Then I click on another video, which pretty much completly slates blending, stating that it destroys all the nutrients, then says we should only juice. As we don't need that much fibre, just minerals and nutrients, which a juicer gives enough of. So now i'm hella confused. I thought we was meant to have a diet high in fibre to help protect against bowel cancer and to help with our bowels. Whats the deal? is it some sort of conspiracy theory

To be honest I really don't get this, 'cos a few years ago I read the same thing about juicing, due to the fact that it discards everything but the juice, which doesn't provide sufficient vitamins.

I was gonna buy a Blendtec or vita-mix, now i'm not so sure. Should I buy a juicer?

Hopefully I made some sense, I thought I was taking a step in the right direction to being healthy, as i'm a fussy bugger aswell. Anyone who can shed some light on this by any chance.

Thanks

Image by JohnMason via sxc. 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-20-2010, 02:42 PM
Beginner

Fiber is really good for digestion, helps you feel full, and is good for you. The whole potato is a lot better for you than a peeled potato. Same is true with many, many vegetables and fruits. The skin has tons of vitamins and minerals in it. I see no reason whatsoever to throw it away, except to help the juicer companies get rich. Blend, or eat whole. That's the overall best thing to do.
imagineaa likes this.

Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart. -Confucius
#3 Old 08-20-2010, 02:50 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by GryffinSong View Post

Fiber is really good for digestion, helps you feel full, and is good for you. The whole potato is a lot better for you than a peeled potato. Same is true with many, many vegetables and fruits. The skin has tons of vitamins and minerals in it. I see no reason whatsoever to throw it away, except to help the juicer companies get rich. Blend, or eat whole. That's the overall best thing to do.

Thats what I was thinking. The person in this video, who is pro jucing is a doctor. The video is under hippocrates as the Youtube channel, who make the green star juicer I do believe. So i'm sticking to my conspiracy theory against blenders.
#4 Old 08-20-2010, 03:38 PM
Beginner

One of the really funny thing about juicer commercials is that they'll sometimes advertise that you can use the leftover pulp to make muffins more healthy. Basically they're admitting that they've stripped something out that should be saved and injested!!!
La Grenouille likes this.

Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart. -Confucius
#5 Old 08-20-2010, 07:20 PM
Beginner

I'm confused slightly about this as well. It's like, I don't want to dump all that money on a Blendtec or VitaMix if it does just destroy nutrients. I've seen the Dr. Brian Clement video as well. What does make sense to me however is let's say you blend up a bunch of oranges and leave them on the counter for a day. I'm willing to bet numerous nutrients are significantly reduced in the blended oranges by the end of the day, as they are totally exposed to the oxygen in the air. But I think if you consume the blended foods shortly after blending, I'm assuming there will be little loss of nutrients. I'm still interested on the topic though, and I'd like to have some more insight on it. That being said however, Dr. Norman Walker promoted vegetable juicing and lived to be 99 years old, so it must not be bad for you anyway.
#6 Old 08-20-2010, 07:56 PM
Beginner

Blending in an oxygen free environment is probably better, how much better I'm not sure. When I blend fruit, it's pretty clear that a lot of air gets whipped around in the fruit. Which, I'd assume, exposes a lot of nutrients to oxygen and degrades them.
Hmm, time to hook up a nitrogen tank to the blender I guess
#7 Old 08-20-2010, 09:58 PM
Beginner

Everything seems to destroy nutrients. It's a wonder humanity has made it this far.
imagineaa likes this.

don't take my life away, don't take my life away.
#8 Old 08-21-2010, 05:50 AM
Beginner

Yeah, I think the act of eating destroys nutrients. Maybe we should look for another way to get nutrients.
imagineaa likes this.

I believe everything.
#9 Old 08-21-2010, 06:40 AM
Beginner

So are we not supposed to chew either? Just swallow everything whole? Or not eat anything unless it's juiced? That doesn't make sense.
imagineaa likes this.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#10 Old 08-21-2010, 07:05 AM
Banned

The internet is full of quack 'doctors' who say all sorts of bizarre things in order to get you to buy their books, attend their conferences or buy products associated with them. Common sense prevails.
imagineaa likes this.
#11 Old 08-21-2010, 07:56 AM
Beginner

Ya. If you're sickly, maybe you aren't getting enough nutrients. If you aren't, worrying over whether your blender or your juicer 'destroys more nutrients' is just buying into the latest product of the snake oil salesmen.

http://dietarypacifism.com/

recipes and thoughts on veganism and religion
#12 Old 08-21-2010, 08:14 AM
Tom
Beginner

I have only a blender, but I don't use it all that much- only to grind flaxseeds, or to make something like hummus or black bean soup smoother than I would ever get it by hand.

I do remember when almost every issue of "Vegetarian Times" magazine would have a Vita-Mix advertisement, with the main selling point being that this gizmo would pulverize everything into the juice, and you'd get more of the nutrients than with a juicer which would extract the juice and leave a lot of pulp behind. There was also a letter to the editor of VT by someone asking what leftover juicer pulp could be used for.

Maybe the folks in the Raw Food forum could weigh in on this topic?...

"Ground Control to Major Tom.... Ground Control to Major Tom...

Take your protein pills and put your helmet on...."

David Bowie- "Space Oddity"

#13 Old 08-21-2010, 11:20 AM
Beginner

Funny topic. Hopefully the OP is a raw vegan since cooking your food destroys nutrients as well. The higher the heat and the longer the food is cooked, the more it is destroyed!!!
#14 Old 08-21-2010, 11:48 AM
Banned

This isn't the raw food forum, the topic is about the merits of blending vs. juicing.
#15 Old 08-21-2010, 02:34 PM
Beginner

If you're that worried about blending v. juicing as far destroying nutrients, eat whatever it is raw and whole. You'll be fine.
#16 Old 08-23-2010, 01:57 PM
Tom
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthling View Post

This isn't the raw food forum, the topic is about the merits of blending vs. juicing.

Yes, but I thought someone who ate raw would use these devices more. I'm not raw though so I could be mistaken.

"Ground Control to Major Tom.... Ground Control to Major Tom...

Take your protein pills and put your helmet on...."

David Bowie- "Space Oddity"

#17 Old 08-25-2010, 04:44 AM
Beginner

Earthling was responding to RawCanadian I think.

http://dietarypacifism.com/

recipes and thoughts on veganism and religion
#18 Old 08-25-2010, 08:10 AM
Beginner

Be careful with finely mincing, too.
imagineaa likes this.
#19 Old 05-21-2013, 10:45 AM
Beginner

Fruits and vegetables are meant to be chewed. Blenders and juicers are relatively recent inventions. Their use might be appropriate if one does not have teeth.

imagineaa and Ewe Nanny like this.
#20 Old 05-21-2013, 11:37 AM
Beginner

Duffman, no offense but almost any of those health advocates, gurus, ect are full of it and just throw random things out there. Most things are simple, obvious, and don't make much of a difference. You want some fiber, but not to the point of discomfort...theres a huge range of ok amount...like anywhere from 10-55grams. Juicing vs blending, its pretty much the same thing just do whichever one you like...honestly, even cooking vs raw doesnt really make a difference, microwaved vs steamed, ect...I hate to say it (actually I like to), but everyone pushing for extreme neurotic health tendencies is just trying to make themselves feel more 'pure' and 'righteous' by doing what they do strictly...but in the sceme of things its just to boost their ego and make themselves feel better than people who don't do exactly what they do. In the end, all these little things matter little to not at all

imagineaa and InTransition like this.
#21 Old 05-21-2013, 11:59 AM
Beginner

Location: Hypocrisy and High Horses aren't my thing, So I'm outa here.

Ewe Nanny likes this.
#22 Old 05-21-2013, 12:28 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by InTransition View Post

ACK! It's alive! Zombie thread! *pulls out kitchen knife and chops its head off* tongue3.gif hehehe

Seriously though, I'm no expert but I'm gonna say blenders may break down nutrients but not destroy them just as chewing does or mashing for that matter, only quicker.If that's not correct, well , I did state I'm no expert tongue3.gif

What ever the case, really, I'm not giving up MY blender!

lol, now don't start to get neurotic and be different from pboy.  lol

I agree, blenders break down but don't destroy all. I love bringing smoothies to work. ;)

#23 Old 05-21-2013, 08:06 PM
Beginner

Location: Hypocrisy and High Horses aren't my thing, So I'm outa here.

#24 Old 05-22-2013, 03:17 AM
Vegan since February 2011

Good grief, this kind of stuff drives me nuts.  I just finished a course of anatomy and physiology, and food goes through so much grinding, shoving, melting, chemical breakdown, you name it in the human body that blending or juicing or cooking or eating it raw or slicing or whole isn't going to matter much in the long run.  The whole raw enzyme theory also makes me roll my eyes lol.  I certainly wouldn't want to only consume juiced foods though as you need fiber to move things along etc.  But once in a while isn't going to hurt anyone, and as far as I know, blending recipes here and there hasn't hurt or killed anyone.

imagineaa and Ewe Nanny like this.

"The needs are great. But we can all do small things, with great love, and together we can do something wonderful."
- Mother Teresa

https://www.flickr.com/photos/elaine...7626760806046/
#25 Old 05-22-2013, 10:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturebound View Post

I just finished a course of anatomy and physiology, and food goes through so much grinding, shoving, melting, chemical breakdown, you name it in the human body that blending or juicing or cooking or eating it raw or slicing or whole isn't going to matter much in the long run. 
Yes, food goes through many processes within the digestive track....but that just underscores the primary issue as to why it matters. Your digestive system is "designed" for whole foods going into your month, being chewed, etc. Blending processes the food well beyond what your eat can do and this effects how it is digested.
#26 Old 08-15-2013, 01:59 PM
Beginner

sorry for dragging up an old thread, but wanted to respond to this ...

"Yes, food goes through many processes within the digestive track....but that just underscores the primary issue as to why it matters. Your digestive system is "designed" for whole foods going into your month, being chewed, etc. Blending processes the food well beyond what your eat can do and this effects how it is digested."

doesn't the blending just create more surface area for the food to be digested quicker?  i'm not sure i get what the poster is talking about because it seems like he/she may be implying that blending is not good...could be wrong though as it's hard to tell because the response is kind of devoid of any real substance.

#27 Old 08-15-2013, 02:47 PM
Beginner

As large a molecule as enzymes are, I would have a hard time believing that even a blender as powerful as the Vitamix would be able to have any effect at the molecular level, unless of course you ran it long enough to actually heat the soup through friction. Then we may see some denaturation. I'd be highly skeptical if blending has any effect on enzymes, other proteins, fats, or carbs.
#28 Old 08-15-2013, 05:47 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinchen View Post

As large a molecule as enzymes are, I would have a hard time believing that even a blender as powerful as the Vitamix would be able to have any effect at the molecular level, unless of course you ran it long enough to actually heat the soup through friction. Then we may see some denaturation. I'd be highly skeptical if blending has any effect on enzymes, other proteins, fats, or carbs.
The larger the molecule, the easier it is for it to be damaged. That being said, like you said I doubt that the blades of a blender would cause significant damage to molecules (other than diamonds, those molecules are often HUGE) without the effects of heat. The one thing that blending will definitely do is introduce oxygen to the material far more effectively than if it was still in an intact state. Oxygen will destroy many enzymes and vitamins, but I doubt the effect would be noticeable if the end product was consumed within a few hours after blending. I would be curious to see the degradation of vitamins exposed to oxygen under standard blending and how much degradation occurred per hour. (I'm betting on it not being significant enough to justify worrying unless you kept the blended food in the fridge for a week...)
#29 Old 08-17-2013, 12:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by what4 View Post

doesn't the blending just create more surface area for the food to be digested quicker?  i'm not sure i get what the poster is talking about because it seems like he/she may be implying that blending is not good...could be wrong though as it's hard to tell because the response is kind of devoid of any real substance.
In part yes, but it also breaks down the plant fiber and as such makes the nutrients readily digestible. That may sound like a good thing, but its not really because the digestive system is "designed" to slowly break down food over hours. When foods are processed in ways that make them readily digestible, you get spikes in insulin and also spikes in fatty acids in the blood both of which have negative consequences.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinchen View Post

Its not the molecules that are being destroyed, its the plant cells and fibers that are being destroyed and this effects the way the food is digested.

Blending may make some vitamins and minerals more readily available, but it has consequences in terms of the carbohydrates and fats in the food. Blending makes them rapidly digestible and the bodies entire metabolic machinery is built around digestion that occurs over hours....not 30~60 minutes.

With that said, the rapid digestibility of the macro-nutrients in blended drinks can be an asset when you need a quick and immediate energy boost. But in daily live, they are likely to cause metabolic problems.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page