30 Bananas a Day - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-31-2010, 11:19 PM
Beginner

is it possible to live off 30 banana's a day? i saw a website called that and i could find a straight answer(though to be fair i didnt look as hard as i coulda) of weather its what their about or if its simply a raw foods site...so can i live off bananas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-01-2010, 12:04 AM
Beginner

I'm sure you could live off 30 bananas a day (though you might go bananas if you ate so many), but I don't think you could achieve optimum nutrition eating only one food. I don't know the exact nutrition stats of a banana, but I would imagine you wouldn't be getting as much calcium, iron, vitamin A, B12, etc. that you need. You'd be getting a lot of vitamin B6, potassium, Omegas, and fibre, but not much else. You wouldn't be getting complete protein either. So, you know, unless you're stuck on a tropical island where there's only bananas around, it's not a diet that I would recommend. I think you'd do better eating as varied a diet as possible to make sure you're getting everything you need.

Funny question btw I liked it
#3 Old 06-01-2010, 12:32 AM
Beginner

lol well great answer(as always :P) thanks ^.^ was just curious lol

so next question... 30 AVOCADOS A DAY? can it be done? i like avocados better than bananas anyways :P avacados seem a bit more healthy, whatchu think? (last 30 a day question i promise...unless it gets popular then i got plenty :P)
#4 Old 06-01-2010, 12:52 AM
Beginner

Avocados deliver more nutrition I think. They're a fantastic source of Vitamin K and folate. They're good for vitamin C, vitamin E, vitamin B6, and pantothenic acid. You're also getting really good Omegas and fibre. But no B12. You'd be lacking in selenium, zinc, and a complete protein. I think you'd get maybe 60% RD of your calcium and I think you'd be good on you're iron. Avocados would be better than bananas, but I still think you should throw something else in that'll give you some different protein and a source of selenium that also includes B12 and zinc (now I sound like I'm describing chicken lol). So if you got nothing but bananas and avocados, go for the avocados. But if there's some other food around, you might want to put your avocado on a slice of hearty whole-grain bread with some nutritional yeast or something.
#5 Old 06-01-2010, 03:35 AM
Beginner

If you ate 30 avacados you would consume over 7000 calories and over 600 grams of fat.
#6 Old 06-01-2010, 04:30 AM
Joe
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by amhappy1 View Post

If you ate 30 avacados you would consume over 7000 calories and over 600 grams of fat.

Thank you for pointing that out.
#7 Old 06-01-2010, 05:08 AM
Beginner

Maybe you could eat 15 bananas and 15 avocados :P

http://dietarypacifism.com/

recipes and thoughts on veganism and religion
#8 Old 06-01-2010, 06:26 AM
Beginner

Yeah, bananas have teh carbs you need; avocados don't. You probably wouldn't have much energy from 30 avocados.

I don't think the person who writes about "complete protein" knows about amino acids and the body's ability to combine them.

You would have enough protein if you got enough calories. However, in general, you need the minerals and good fats from green leafy vegetables (not every day necessarily - just during the year, a rounded out varied diet).

That's just the name of the site. Some peopel there eat 30 bananas (or more) per day. That doesn't mean that's the only thing you eat. I could say "I ate 5 apples today" but that statement doesn't exclude me eating anything else. Some people there don't eat bananas at all. Others eat 1 and up.

A good program to figure out the nutrition in food is fitday.com but be mindful when using it that the RDAs are for cooked food eaters who only absorb about 20% of the nutrients they eat; that vitamin D would be related to your sun exposure and B12 from a sublingual; and there is no requirement for consumption of salt (you will get sodium from melons, greens, celery, tomatoes, and other fruits and vegetables).
#9 Old 06-01-2010, 06:37 AM
Beginner

I wouldn't like to find out what it would happen when you went to toilet after eating only 30 bananas thats if you can go at all lol
#10 Old 06-01-2010, 06:54 AM
Beginner

Only nonripe bananas are constipating. actually, if you ate no cooked foods, no grains, no legumes, no sweeteners/syrups, no dried foods, no nuts/seeds, no spices, no salt, your poop will eventually stop stinking like other people's and when you go to wipe, there won't be any residue there. it should take about 10 seconds to exit you.....You can go about your day.
#11 Old 06-01-2010, 06:58 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by penny79 View Post

Only nonripe bananas are constipating. actually, if you ate no cooked foods, no grains, no legumes, no sweeteners/syrups, no dried foods, no nuts/seeds, no spices, no salt, your poop will eventually stop stinking like other people's and when you go to wipe, there won't be any residue there. it should take about 10 seconds to exit you.....You can go about your day.

very....informative lol
#12 Old 06-01-2010, 07:01 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellbell View Post

very....informative lol

Notice how people are usually in a better mood after they poop? Just imagine if everyone could do it without stinking up the bathroom for the person after them!
#13 Old 06-01-2010, 07:12 AM
Beginner

Wouldn't that put you in danger of potassium overdose?
#14 Old 06-01-2010, 07:14 AM
Beginner

Nope! That's a myth that bananas cause that problem. From what I've heard, it's people who eat chickens and/or have sodium imbalances from their diet that have supposed potassium issues.

http://www.health-myth-exposed.com/2...n-therapy.html
#15 Old 06-01-2010, 07:20 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcontent View Post

Wouldn't that put you in danger of potassium overdose?

That amount of Potassium won't kill you, but it will give you nasty heart palpitations and for some people, cardiac arrhythmias so I wouldn't recommend it.

m8itcanw8.com
#16 Old 06-01-2010, 10:18 AM
Beginner

I eat anywhere from 2 to 11 bananas a day and as soon as my friends/coworkers/family members see me eat more than 1 banana in a sitting I get asked the potassium overdose question. Without fail. I'm glad they care about my health but its surprising how many people are concerned about my potassium levels....
#17 Old 06-01-2010, 10:47 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by janiejones View Post

I eat anywhere from 2 to 11 bananas a day and as soon as my friends/coworkers/family members see me eat more than 1 banana in a sitting I get asked the potassium overdose question. Without fail. I'm glad they care about my health but its surprising how many people are concerned about my potassium levels....

That's a hell of a lot of bananas you must miss a decent meal eating that amount, they really full me up do bananas

and no wonder people are concerned....
#18 Old 06-01-2010, 11:02 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by poshbird View Post

That's a hell of a lot of bananas you must miss a decent meal eating that amount, they really full me up do bananas

You must have a different idea than me of what consists of a decent meal.
#19 Old 06-01-2010, 11:12 AM
Beginner

I just can't see 10 bananas for your evening meal can be substantial? I mean where are you getting your protein and other vitamins from veg? I made a vegan chilli con carne it took me half hour to prepare and cook, with lentils and beans which have lots and lots of protein... I think eating bananas instead of balanced meal is mad.. (only if your eating them all the time like that)
#20 Old 06-01-2010, 11:18 AM
Beginner

If your idea of a balanced meal is one that has too much protein and not enough carbs and nutrients from whole foods, then I guess that's your view.

to the OP: there are people to better ask this 30 bananas a day question, like ones who do it all the time, not people who still hold onto the view that legumes, nuts, seeds, and grains are somehow necessary for human health even with evidence ot the contrary.
#21 Old 06-01-2010, 11:30 AM
Beginner

No I am saying a balanced diet is healthy just the right protein and right amount of carbs etc, too much of one thing is unhealthy end of
#22 Old 06-01-2010, 11:32 AM
Beginner

Okay......so your argument against whole foods like bananas is?
#23 Old 06-01-2010, 11:35 AM
Beginner

just eating bananas all the time and nothing else cant be very healthy... as your just eating the same thing over and over again.
#24 Old 06-01-2010, 11:36 AM
Beginner

Goodness! Hah it's pretty easy to eat that many bananas & I'm not "missing out" on anything. Nor do I sit down and eat 10 bananas at once. But if I did that would be fine as well. 3 bananas for breakfast, 4 blended with almond milk for a smoothie of sorts, 1 for a snack, and another 2 with my evening meal. Easy. A need for concern? No.
#25 Old 06-01-2010, 11:37 AM
Beginner

I just remembered, I meant to buy bananas at the shop and I forgot
#26 Old 06-01-2010, 11:40 AM
Beginner

ok I think I am pissing people off with my views I thought this forum was about respecting each others view's
#27 Old 06-01-2010, 11:41 AM
Beginner

ok 30 day challenge just eat bananas
#28 Old 06-01-2010, 11:44 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by poshbird View Post

ok I think I am pissing people off with my views I thought this forum was about respecting each others view's

it's not pissing anyone off, I don't think. your views don't have any substantiation, i.e. "it CAN'T be healthy" but at the same time you find cooking something on a stove for a half hour, adding how many ingredients?, salts, bottled/jarred items, dried items, perfectly "balanced." Do you realize that your body makes enzymes to digest each type of food (assuming you're actually eating things that CAN be digested) and eating more than one type of food at a time causes fermentation and malabsorption of nutrients? Your only issue with 30 bananas or a meal of them seems to be that you haven't heard about it before. Well, imagine growing up where people actually ate food off of trees and didn't go to the grocery store for 10 items and come home to brown up some slab of something and add salt, fat, sugar, etc. to try to make it taste good.....there ARE people out there who have never heard of cooking food. There ARE peopel out there who survive on fruit, greens, and sometimes insects. And they are most likely healthier than the average omni, vegan, or vegetarian, and very active as well.
#29 Old 06-01-2010, 11:47 AM
Ankle Biter

Why in the world would anyone even want to eat 30 bananas in one day?

I'll bet your teeth would ache over time, from not chewing enough.

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#30 Old 06-01-2010, 11:48 AM
Beginner

ok point taken but I just cant see how eating alot of one same thing being healthy

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page