vegan tattoo - don't let me do it! - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-14-2010, 04:24 PM

Okay....I am a middle age woman, who has always thought that tattoos are just not for me. I've seen some real nice ones on other people and have admired the artwork, but have always thought, I would never ever do something that is permanent like that on my body. Considering what I like today could easily be what I hate tomorrow. I am such an indecisive person...you can imagine why I don't want anything permanent on me.

My 3 year vegan anniversary is just around the corner, and this is the first time in my life that I've thought of getting a tattoo. All I want is the word "vegan" somewhere on my body...in some cool font. This is the only thing I can think that I'd like to have forever. In fact, I want it as a reminder...just in case someday I have some weird craving and fall of the waggon, this tattoo will be a reminder of who I am and who I want to remain!

Okay...now, talk me out of it....cuz a woman my age shouldn't be getting a tattoo! right??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-14-2010, 04:30 PM
HNV

You know what? If it makes you happy.. Who cares!

Have you considered a Henna tattoo option?

The worst sin toward our fellow creatures is not to hate them, but to be indifferent to them. That is the essence of humanity.
#3 Old 01-14-2010, 04:41 PM
Banned

Anyone of any age, gender or whatever can get a tattoo if they want one!

I'm probably going to get this on one of my vegan anniversaries:

(It's vegan written in Tengwar script. I like Tengwar... I already have two other Tengwar tattoos so this might be the only other one I get..)

#4 Old 01-14-2010, 04:56 PM
Ankle Biter

^^^ That's beautiful, Idhreneth!

Draw it on, wear it around for a few days, and see if you like it...?

I understand your hesitancy - I've felt the same thing about tattoos - that I'm too old, not my style, etc. I have been thinking about getting a little red poppy somewhere, though. Poppy is my first chihuahua (in the avatar) and the inspiration for many life changes that have happened since she came into my life - even going vegan.

Obviously your being vegan is immensely important to you! That's so cool! And congratulations on the three years!

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#5 Old 01-14-2010, 04:59 PM

I personally wouldn't get a tattoo on a whim. I knew what tattoo I wanted for a good 2-3 years before I actually got it (and haven't regretted it so far... about 7 years later).

I think it's cool that you want to get a tattoo that has real meaning for you, it describes who you are and what is important to you. I think that's a first step in not ending up regretting it! Some people recommend wearing a non-permanent version of the tattoo for a while and see how you feel about it.
#6 Old 01-14-2010, 05:16 PM

If you wake up and walk around feeling utterly naked all day without the tattoo... Go ahead, get it!

I've never wanted a tattoo and will likely never get one (but I've seen some cool ones on other people!)
#7 Old 01-14-2010, 05:23 PM

I'm the same way - love them on other people, no desire yet to get one. I've done temporary ones. I think it'd be cool if professional artists could do like 6-month temp. ones.
#8 Old 01-14-2010, 08:26 PM

The tatoo I got for my birthday, the year I turned 50:

#9 Old 01-14-2010, 08:43 PM

How it happened.

When I turned 45 I started wanting to do something to mark my birthdays. Something big. The first big marking was parasailing. I flew in a hot air balloon for one. With my grown son and daughter one year, we went up on one of those giant human slingshot rides that have a rather scary free-fall for a stomach dropping few hours, I mean, few seconds. At 49, I rode every single roller coaster at Great American in San Jose, CA.

I started thinking I wanted to do something really permanant and lasting to mark turning 50 and the idea of a tatoo started forming in my head. I started thinking about what I wanted and where I wanted it. I wanted something that was easy to cover when I wanted to, and easy to show when I wanted to.

The tatoo artist tried very hard to talk me out of getting something on the top of my foot, but that's what I wanted. They said it would be too painful. It hurt a bit, but it ain't nothing like childbirth, so eh. Too old? That's not a reason.

Oddly, though, I stopped marking birthdays after the tatoo, much to my husband's relief.
#10 Old 01-15-2010, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedre View Post

Okay...now, talk me out of it....cuz a woman my age shouldn't be getting a tattoo! right??

This is not the place to get talked out of things.

Think about it for a long while, though, and make sure you really want it. Try drawing it on yourself and seeing how you feel. I started planning my second (and third...) tattoo in Sept. and now that it is January I will look around and see if there is an artist near me that will use vegan ink (make sure you check on that if or when you do it), which will buy me more time playing around with the exact design and being really sure.
#11 Old 01-15-2010, 04:55 AM

The problem with tattoos is that you're stuck with them.
#12 Old 01-15-2010, 05:33 AM

It doesn't matter how old you are. If you want ink get ink! Just be really careful and think it out. I got mine when I was 18 but I'd settled on three designs and had been thinking about them for years. So, take some time. Do like some people here have said and wear a henna for a while. Use a Sharpie and figure out where you want it and everything. Then research, research, research! If you're a vegan I assume you'll want vegan ink? You'll have to get an artist willing to order and use it. But good luck! Keep us updated!
#13 Old 01-15-2010, 05:48 AM

Could have written that myself. I'm not a tattoo person and always wonder what they will turn into when people's weight changes or they get old and wrinkly (*picutres all those dolphins turning into manatees...lol or myself in the er as a granny w/ something really cool on my boney old butt).

That said, I've had some thoughts about getting one too. Mine would say "Annie" (the name of the beautiful cow next door that's responsible for this journey I'm non). But, I probably won't do it. Although, tatoos can be very pretty, there are certain situations where just tell more than one might like. If I'm dressed elegently or going to a job interview, I don't want a tattoo to give the first impression, I want to do that myself. Perhaps, my tattoo would be the real me, but there are situations when you want the more polished "you" to come through first. JMO

In the end, it's your decision and if it makes you happy, it was a good one.
#14 Old 01-15-2010, 06:21 AM

If you want to do it, do it. Really, what's the big deal? Then again, this is coming from a guy with about 70% body coverage so I might be a little biased.
#15 Old 01-15-2010, 06:50 AM

I think it's a nice idea. I think your age makes it a good thing, actually. It means you're more mature and likely to stick with what you like. So many younger people that get tattoos don't think it through.

I've thought about getting a tattoo that says vegan. It will help me stick with it if I ever have problems.

I have one, that I got last year. It's a maroon outline of a dove (my sorority symbol). I had been thinking about getting a tattoo since I was 16, because my mom said she would have signed to allow me to get one then. I'm so glad I didn't right then though since I was only looking at things like cherries that would have been completely insignificant to my life. I had decided on a dove since I joined my sorority, but gave it a few years to pick the perfect design and location. It really does mean a lot to me because my sorority changed my life and gave me my closest friends. I know some people think it's stupid to get a tattoo about my sorority, but it was/is a huge part of my life and it means a lot to me. And that's really all that matters! So, I started thinking about the dove when I was 18 and got it when I was 21. I think it was a good timeline.

My dove is behind my ear, and I think it's the perfect location for me. My hair is long and I almost always wear it down, so it's not visible. If I wanted to wear my hair up and not have it show I could just use concealer since it's not big at all. I wanted it in a unique spot (although I feel like everyone is getting them there now) that I could easily hide.

I like tattoos with no black in them. When I was thinking about my dove, I originally wanted it on my wrist in lavender ink. I eventually got talked out of it, but I think I would have liked it because it would be really subtle since my skin is super light. If I got the vegan one, I would do some sort of light ink so that it would be subtle. I think people forget all about the fact that tattoos don't have to be black and dark and bold!
#16 Old 01-15-2010, 10:33 AM

wow so much good advice!

I think I'll do all the suggested advice. I'll start with a henna tatto or, like NotYet said with a sharpie (much easier). Then there is the question of where to have it on my body...like all of you pointed out, that's a really big deal. So I have to really think this through. I usually have short hair, so behind the neck wouldn't be such a good idea. And the vegan ink is another issue...though I don't think that'd be a problem here, as there is a tattoo artist in town who's vegan, so I am thinking he'll have vegan ink. lots of good advice. I am going to give this serious consideration. And if I do get it done, I'll come back and post a picture....but like all of you have pointed out, it might be months or more.
#17 Old 01-15-2010, 10:35 AM

Katoo, your lizard is lovely.

I'm 45 and have 2 small tattoos, both in areas that aren't generally on display. I'm going to treat myself to a treble clef on my shoulder this summer - Christine I love your idea about using a subtle colour rather than black, I think I'll go for that.

Cedre - get the tattoo girl - you know you want to.

Oops, cross-posted with you Cedre. Sounds like a plan x
#18 Old 01-15-2010, 11:42 AM

The only thing id say, is, that once youve got one tattoo, youll want more!!!
#19 Old 01-15-2010, 12:14 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie View Post

The problem with tattoos is that you're stuck with them.

For ever, and ever, and ever, and ever, and ever, and ever, and ever, and ever,

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
#20 Old 01-15-2010, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanie View Post

this is so true.
#21 Old 01-15-2010, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katoo View Post

The tatoo I got for my birthday, the year I turned 50:

I love that Katoo!

I got my first and only tattoo when I was 21 (a tribal hawk flying towards the sun between my shoulderblades) but I designed it in high school. Just had to wait until I was out from under my parent's roof before I could get it.

I do think if you decide to get a tattoo, it shouldn't be done on a whim because it IS permanent and removal is costly, unpleasant and painful.

I'm thinking about going back to get my elaborated on, maybe with an Om symbol.

If it makes you nervous to wear one, get it in a place where it can be easily hidden. There are people who have known me for years and still haven't seen my tattoo.
#22 Old 01-15-2010, 12:26 PM

I'd love a tattoo, so if I could face the experience I'd have it. I'm just a big old scaredy! x
#23 Old 01-15-2010, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy View Post

^^^ That's beautiful, Idhreneth!

Draw it on, wear it around for a few days, and see if you like it...?

I understand your hesitancy - I've felt the same thing about tattoos - that I'm too old, not my style, etc. I have been thinking about getting a little red poppy somewhere, though. Poppy is my first chihuahua (in the avatar) and the inspiration for many life changes that have happened since she came into my life - even going vegan.

Obviously your being vegan is immensely important to you! That's so cool! And congratulations on the three years!

I love the poppy tattoo idea.
#24 Old 01-15-2010, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanie View Post

yep.
#25 Old 01-15-2010, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellye View Post

I do think if you decide to get a tattoo, it shouldn't be done on a whim because it IS permanent and removal is costly, unpleasant and painful.

^^ This ^^

I personally have three tattoos and want plenty more. (I want to be the old woman in a home somewhere with all the blurry/faded tattoos!) But I have put a TON of thought and time into designing and planning out each tattoo. If YOU want to do it, then you should do it. But if you have ANY hesitations/indecisivness about getting it, don't get it. It is permanent and will be on you FOREVER.
#26 Old 01-15-2010, 12:53 PM

The most important thing about a tattoo is its significance. Clearly, being vegan is a HUGE thing in your life, so commemorating it on your body makes sense to me.

I have this on the small of my back (the wing span is 5" across, and it's 7" H):

The phoenix is important to me, in that pose. To remember to fly. To remember that I (am and) can be born again. IF you look closely, the symbol of the trinity is incorporated into the tail, for my faith in God, who is my anchor and through Whom I can do anything.

It doesn't matter how old you are, if it means something to you. Also, I don't wear a two-piece and only on occasion will a shirt ride up so you can even TELL I have a tattoo. No one else has to see it; you don't get a tattoo for other people. You do it for yourself.

(I'd like another one, of a quill w/ roses and a treble clef hidden among the leaves up my side, but if I ever get pregnant it might distort, and my husband thinks the one I have is plenty big - I'm only 4' 11" so that really is my entire lower back.)
#27 Old 01-15-2010, 01:01 PM

I will eventually - just don't know what motive to get.

"Hell exists not to punish sinners, but to ensure that nobody sins in the first place."
#28 Old 01-15-2010, 03:15 PM

One of the reasons why I didn't want to get a tattoo is because when you age, the wrinkles will distort the shape of your tattoo....so where to have it is going to be very important to me....having it in a light colour is a wonderful idea too!!!

I am planning on doing a sharpie on me....any ideas where I should do it??
#29 Old 01-15-2010, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedre View Post

I am planning on doing a sharpie on me....any ideas where I should do it??

I think the prettiest tattoo I've seen is on Cheryl Cole's hand. I'd never do that myself for work reasons, but I do think if you can they are pretty. Or on the inside of the wrist. Someone on here has VEGAN as a tattoo and it looks like a wrist, it's their avatar... not sure of eveyones usernames yet though to tell you who it is!
#30 Old 01-15-2010, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milliebert View Post

Someone on here has VEGAN as a tattoo and it looks like a wrist, it's their avatar... not sure of eveyones usernames yet though to tell you who it is!

amhappy1 - I love her tattoo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page