Inherited a fur coat - what to do with it? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-16-2009, 05:06 AM
Beginner

My gran died a few months ago and, while we were clearing out her house, I sorted through her clothes. A lot of them just got binned, some went to a charity shop but I'm kind of stumped by the fur coat. I couldn't bring myself to throw it out (I felt like it'd be "wasting" the lives of the animals whose fur it's made from, if that makes any sense), so it's just hanging up in my cupboard, until I suss out what to do with it.

It's a huge, very old-fashioned thing. I don't even know what kind of fur it is (brown?!) but my boyfriend has nicknamed it "the pimp coat" - it's definitely not the kind of thing that people here would actually wear any more. I was unsure about giving it to a charity shop because it seems like the kind of thing that someone would buy just for a laugh and I'd rather it was used constructively.

I thought maybe I could donate it to somewhere that sends things to poor people living in a cold country, that way it might feasibly do some good. I don't have the first idea where to start looking for something like that though, or if anywhere would even take it. Or if there's anywhere I could donate it for it to be repurposed, instead of someone buying something with new fur (though I'm less happy with that idea). I even thought about giving it to a homeless guy I often pass on my way home from work but since I don't know him or much about his situation, I wasn't sure.

Any suggestions or better ideas?

eta: I'm in Scotland - thought that might be important to mention!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-16-2009, 05:18 AM
Beginner

You could try donating it to a wildlife rehab, they sometimes use fur coats to comfort newborn and baby critters who have been orphaned.
#3 Old 12-16-2009, 05:30 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellye View Post

You could try donating it to a wildlife rehab, they sometimes use fur coats to comfort newborn and baby critters who have been orphaned.

And any kind of animal rescue are always in need of warm blankets, especially this time of year. Any run of the mill cat/dog shelter would be grateful for it.
#4 Old 12-16-2009, 06:01 AM
Tom
Beginner

Quote:
It's a huge, very old-fashioned thing. I don't even know what kind of fur it is (brown?!) but my boyfriend has nicknamed it "the pimp coat" - it's definitely not the kind of thing that people here would actually wear any more. I was unsure about giving it to a charity shop because it seems like the kind of thing that someone would buy just for a laugh and I'd rather it was used constructively.

I'm glad you're thinking carefully about this, but I'm stumped. I was going to suggest selling it so that someone who had already decided to buy a fur coat would buy the one you have instead- thereby both preventing the deaths of animals who would have been killed for the new coat, AND preventing the fur industry from making a profit by selling a coat. (If you just gave it away, someone who would not have otherwise bought an expensive fur coat might have taken it, and this would not have prevented a new coat from being sold.)

But if you're positive that nobody would buy a coat like the one you have, maybe one of the suggestions from the posters above would be your best choice.

"Ground Control to Major Tom.... Ground Control to Major Tom...

Take your protein pills and put your helmet on...."

David Bowie- "Space Oddity"

#5 Old 12-16-2009, 06:27 AM
Beginner

Yes, I would agree with the donation to an animal rescue centre.
#6 Old 12-16-2009, 06:38 AM
Beginner

I was going to say donate it to a local theatre for their costume collection, but I didn't know they used old furs like that at rescue centers. That's a good one. I wouldn't know how to donate it to people in cold countries either... Like Nepal maybe? Not sure.
#7 Old 12-16-2009, 08:31 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstadt View Post

I was going to say donate it to a local theatre for their costume collection, but I didn't know they used old furs like that at rescue centers. That's a good one. I wouldn't know how to donate it to people in cold countries either... Like Nepal maybe? Not sure.

I think those kind of schemes usually ask for donations so they can buy warm clothing in the area (let's use Nepal as an example) and give it out to the locals. The cost of organising and paying for a fur coat to be shipped there would probably not be worth it.
#8 Old 12-16-2009, 10:22 AM
Beginner

If someone left me a fur coat I would give it a burial ceremony.
#9 Old 12-16-2009, 10:51 AM
Beginner

Another vote for donate. Everyone else already posted great suggestions. People or animal shelter, whichever one you feel is more appropriate.
#10 Old 12-16-2009, 11:21 AM
Beginner

I also thought about a theater group. But I like your idea best Kellye and would not have thought of that. That sounds like the best idea to me. If you don't have anything local, you could mail it to a place you found on the internet or something.
#11 Old 12-16-2009, 11:33 AM
Beginner

Like Kellye said, donate it to a wildlife center. They use old furs to help keep orphaned babies warm and the fur can be soothing because it mimics them being with their mothers. I know here in the states Humane Society of the United States takes them to distibute, but that would be costly in shipping I'd like from Scotland. http://www.hsus.org/press_and_public...e_in_need.html

I would imagine if you look up some centers in your area you'll find one that is taking fur donations to help injured or orphaned animals.

As long as there are slaughterhouses there will be battlefields. - Leo Tolstoy
My blog - http://myso-calledveganlife.blogspot.com/
#12 Old 12-16-2009, 05:00 PM
Beginner

Same thing happened to me, my sister and I inheritied my grandmothers full length fur coat, pretty gross looking My dad kept insisting we save it because "you might change your mind in the future and want to wear it".....I was like UM NO NEVER are you kidding!! Finally we just ended up selling it on craigslist.
#13 Old 12-17-2009, 02:48 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegrrrl79 View Post

Same thing happened to me, my sister and I inheritied my grandmothers full length fur coat, pretty gross looking My dad kept insisting we save it because "you might change your mind in the future and want to wear it".....I was like UM NO NEVER are you kidding!! Finally we just ended up selling it on craigslist.

Ah, my dad was all in favour of chucking it out because it's ugly and no one would wear it. It's hanging up in my coat cupboard just now and though I don't get creeped out by it, I'm sad to see it so I want it gone.

Thanks for the suggestions, folks. I hadn't thought of giving it to an animal rescue at all. The only local shelter I've been to is more like an over-stretched city pound though - I doubt they'd want/use the fur. There must be other ones/wildlife centres nearby who would appreciate it though, so I'll phone around :]
#14 Old 12-17-2009, 12:19 PM
Vegan Police Officer

I'm no fan of PETA, but that's not a reason to not let you know that they collect old fur coats for donating: http://www.furisdead.com/donate.asp
#15 Old 12-17-2009, 12:40 PM
Beginner

I would definitely donate it to Coats for Cubs

Quote:

All of the furs received by The HSUS are sent to wildlife rehabilitators, who use the furs to warm and comfort orphaned and injured wildlife. More than 200 rehabilitators from across the United States and Canada now participate in the program.

It sounds really good to me! BUT... I'm in the United States...

Do you have an equivalent in Scotland of the Human Society in the US? I wonder if they have any programs like this...
#16 Old 12-21-2009, 09:58 PM
Beginner

http://www.humanesociety.org/issues/...e_old_fur.html

ÂIf man could be crossed with the cat it would improve man, but it would deteriorate the cat.  Mark Twain

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page