Is thin blood anything to be concerned about? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-03-2009, 09:40 PM
Beginner

I've always figured I had thin blood, but it didn't really bother me until...well I bled.

Today I cut myself with a knife at work, my blood was very thin and kept running out of my hand like water. It was very red rather than dark thick blood like most people have.

I clotted thanks to the help of other co-workers who knew how to apply pressure and stop my bleeding. I ended up bleeding some more when they numbed me up and stitched me up quite a bit as well, and the nurse commented shes never seen someone bleed as much as I did from such a small wound.

It sort of concerned me because "What if I got into a car accident and ripped my leg open" or something like that, I wouldn't really want to die from blood loss because my blood is running like water out of me.

I dont know, is it anything to be concerned about. This is the first time I've been injured since going vegan, or rather the first time I've ever bled so heavily in my entire life.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-03-2009, 09:57 PM
Banned

whether or not you should be concerned, you are. so go have a chat to the doctor, and get it looked into. taking charge is generally quite a good cure for the worries.
#3 Old 12-03-2009, 10:29 PM
Beginner

I would talk to a doctor.

However, its weird, because some of the most I've bled has been from fairly small wounds, such as a cut on my hand, where as bigger wounds didn't bleed nearly as much. Its odd.

Pinterest: AquaLoveBird
#4 Old 12-03-2009, 10:35 PM
Beginner

Do you bruise easy as well? You could have a low platelet count which are the type of blood cells we have in our bods to help us clot. This could be genetic or the sign of disease, but things like drinking a lot of alcohol and taking certain meds like antibiotics or Aspirin can also temporarily affect the thinness of your blood. I'd take HCJ's advice and go see a doc to get it investigated.

m8itcanw8.com
#5 Old 12-03-2009, 11:52 PM
Beginner

I dont really think I have the biggest issue with clotting, I can clot when I apply pressure to the wound, but the amount of blood that pours out before it clots is alarming.

I dont really know if I bruise easily, but I'm quite clumsy and and up inflicting injuries on myself [be walking into things, stepping on things...not paying attention when cutting stuff baw]

I wouldn't think I have a disease of any sort, I think it were really alarming the people in the ER woulda given me a heads up.
#6 Old 12-04-2009, 01:42 AM
Beginner

I posted about a similiar situation w/ my husband and myself not to long ago. We have experienced the same thing and don't know why. There must be something to it.
#7 Old 12-04-2009, 01:47 AM
Beginner

Here is a thread I opened on the same topic regarding my husband and myself.

http://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...thin-the-blood
#8 Old 12-04-2009, 08:35 AM
Beginner

You need to have some tests to determine if you really do have thin blood, and if it's a concern. You could have some pathological condition that causes you not to clot easily, such as not having enough platelettes or clotting factors. The only way to determine this is through bloodwork and your doctors can take it from there.

Good luck!
#9 Old 12-04-2009, 05:39 PM
Beginner

I'm the opposite. There's, like, no blood in my hands or feet. When they prick my fingers (or once when I had IVs in my arms so they drew blood from my foot) it's a freaking production! It takes FOREVER.

Totally unhelpful. But if the ER staff wasn't worried, you're probably OK. But if it's still worrying you, you can talk to a doctor. Even if there's nothing wrong, they can tell you that and what may affect your blood.
#10 Old 12-05-2009, 11:57 AM
Beginner

I was the same. I hemorrhaged when I had my tonsils out, when I gave birth to my son, and when I had a miscarriage. At those times, I had undiagnosed celiac disease. I was not absorbing vitamin K.
#11 Old 12-06-2009, 06:21 AM
Beginner

I think it's a combination of being healthy and perhaps well-hydrated. When I gave blood as an omni it was a slow process. Now when I give blood I fill the bag faster then they've ever seen.

--
The Twilight Is My Robe
#12 Old 12-06-2009, 07:26 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegPanda View Post

I dont really think I have the biggest issue with clotting, I can clot when I apply pressure to the wound, but the amount of blood that pours out before it clots is alarming.

I dont really know if I bruise easily, but I'm quite clumsy and and up inflicting injuries on myself [be walking into things, stepping on things...not paying attention when cutting stuff baw]

I wouldn't think I have a disease of any sort, I think it were really alarming the people in the ER woulda given me a heads up.

LOL, I wasn't trying to say you actually had a disease, I was just listing some possibilities for causes of thin blood seeing as you asked if it was a concern. And the ER staff are great but also very busy, so unless your bleeding is of hemophiliac proportions they won't be too concerned about other stuff that may or may not be wrong with you, they just want to get your wound dressed so you can go.

This was probably nothing and it'll pass (certain parts of the body like fingertips can gush a lot of blood anyway) , but if you were concerned enough to write this thread about it, it's probably worth seeing your doc and having a blood test isn't it, just to put your mind at rest.

m8itcanw8.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page