VeggieBoards banner

Vegan Food in NH? Or vegan breakfast @ a restaurant?

1K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  myrtlemaneet 
#1 ·
I recently moved here (near Winnepesaukee) and it seems like there are only steak houses around. I have a friend coming up to visit who wants to go out for breakfast. I called one of the only restaurants with a menu online and it looks like I could maybe get hashbrowns (though I don't know if they cook them in the same oil as the meat) and the fruit cup. They couldn't tell me if the toast or cereal was vegan - they did offer for me to bring my own food and have them cook it, lol.

Or maybe help me think of some items that would be vegan for breakfast at a restaurant? I'm new to veganism (10 years vegetarian), so maybe I'm just not thinking outside the box?

#2 ·
When I find myself stuck at a steakhouse for dinner, I usually think of a really great way to eat a baked potato. Have them add some grilled veggies to it with some salt, pepper, and maybe some barbeque sauce!

Also, sometimes the "butter spread" packages you get don't actually have milk products in them (weird, I know)

#3 ·
Some baked potatoes are rolled in bacon fat or other pig-flesh stuff, I've heard.

As far as breakfast, I would go for fresh fruit. If you want something cooked, oatmeal (make sure it's not packages or premade or that they add cow milk). Usually even if I get a fruit plate, just to make sure my food isn't ruined and animals aren't harmed by my throwing something away, I say, "No yogurt, no cream, no milk, no sauce" because sometimes they put a scoop of white crap on your plate.

Most places should also have spinach. I find a salad rounds out a fruit breakfast very well if you're still hungry. So spinach or mixed greens and fruit is perfect.

Oatmeal if they have it.

They might have add-ons to the oatmeal like nuts (again, you have to make sure it's just nuts, so annoying at times!), peanut butter, brown sugar, soymilk, cinnamon, apples.

#6 ·
Hi Penny - There are no chains until you drive about 40 minutes away (lots of small family-run businesses). If I drive to Dover, NH there is a Margaritas, Chili's, Friendly's, 99, and Uno's. 99 and Friendly's aren't even very vegetarian friendly. The meals I used to get at the other restaurants all had cheese in them...not sure if they have anything vegan.

#7 ·
I am originally from the Lakes Region but now I live in Southern NH. I am not familiar with the current restaurant scene up your way, so I can't be of much help there. You might have better luck seeking a small, non-chain restaurant and calling ahead. They have more control over what goes into their food than a chain restaurant where most the food is pre-made and frozen anyway.

Glad to see another NH veg*n on The Boards *waves*

#11 ·
If you look for a local cafe' or coffee shop you should be able to get maybe some bagels or toast that you could have with jam or PB. They might also have hot cereal, like oatmeal that you could enjoy with some fresh fruit. Maybe a glass of juice or tea or coffee on the side. You might be able to request, say, a fruit smoothie without yogurt and they might even have soy milk handy (lots of small coffee shops do nowadays).

Again, if you go to an independent establishment, they are likely preparing things fresh so modifying an order isn't so much of a bother as it would be if you are dealing with something ready-made that is being heated up on-site and the workers have no idea of the ingredients.

What city are you in? Perhaps I could ask around and get some good recommendations.

#12 ·
How close are you to Plymouth? I used to live there, and the Lucky Dog Tavern is very vegan friendly. Also pretty tasty. Woodstock NH also has a nice little brunch place that I've found to be pretty vegan friendly, they make their own vegan bread and have tasty fresh fruit cups and home fries.

Hannaford's, the main NH grocery store also has a big organic section and I've found lots of tasty vegan things.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.