Upset at Vegan Group on Campus :( - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-22-2009, 09:34 AM

So I started University this year and I was really excited about meeting some veg*ns and getting involved with some animal activism. Well the campus has one "club" but they never get together and it is more of a social thing than actually getting involved in issues.

So I found this other group of vegans and got in contact with one of the members. We had an awesome chat and he was so nice and introduced me to another guy and we talked about being vegans and leafletting. I was so pumped to finally get involved! I gave the one guy my e-mail and they told me they meet every Monday. Well the guy e-mailed me once and than never returned any of my e-mails and when I went to one of the meetings no one showed up.

So I am sorry about this long rant. I am just sad because I was looking forward to finally having some veg*an friends. It has been 3 weeks and I haven't heard anything more about the meetings or received any e-mails. What do I do?!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-22-2009, 09:48 AM

You can leaflet by yourself. I've done that. Sometimes other vegans will walk up to you and talk to you and that's a good way to make friends (even with omnivores, too).
#3 Old 10-22-2009, 09:53 AM
Tom
Veggie Regular

I know how disappointing that was, but groups come and go. You may have hooked up with that second vegan group just as it was breaking up. He ought to have returned your emails, but maybe he no longer has internet access?

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.

#4 Old 10-22-2009, 09:56 AM

I am definitely going to be doing some leafletting myself and I am sure my BF will come with me.

What I am mostly upset with is being thisclose to joining a veg*an group and talking with some like minded people (in person).....and now nothing.

Has anyone started a veg*an group on a campus that would have some tips on how to get started?
#5 Old 10-22-2009, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by penny79 View Post

You can leaflet by yourself. I've done that. Sometimes other vegans will walk up to you and talk to you and that's a good way to make friends (even with omnivores, too).

I like penny79's attitude. Why wait for someone else to start a club for you to join. As someone recently posted, "Be the change you want to see in the world."
#6 Old 10-22-2009, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post

I know how disappointing that was, but groups come and go. You may have hooked up with that second vegan group just as it was breaking up. He ought to have returned your emails, but maybe he no longer has internet access?

I was thinking that it just kind of broke up and I never got the memo!

I am not sure how big the veg*an population is on campus but I am definitely going to look into maybe starting a new club or just find a few other people who would like to come out at leaflet with me.
#7 Old 10-22-2009, 10:37 AM
Give peas a chance

I don't know if I would start another one unless it was necessary. It might be more efficient to approach the leader of this second group and ask what is going on. Perhaps they only meet every month or so. Or perhaps the leader doesn't have time to lead. If that's the case, say that you've got some ideas and would like to try to get things going on a more frequent basis. Perhaps you can be co-leader, or the person in charge of planning activities.

My advice, and I did a lot of organizing in college, is to have a mix of activities. In addition to the leaflets, maybe volunteering at the pound, a trip to a farm sanctuary, a vegan ice cream social, vegan potluck... Passing out leaflets will attract the hardcore people, but the fun and interesting activities will attract a broader audience, and that's what you'll need to grow the group.

I think I've heard that about 3 percent of the population in the US is vegan and around 25 percent is interested in vegetarianism. If you know the size of the student body you could calculate the size of the potential audience on campus.

Vegan Cookbooks Illustrated

http://vegan-cookbooks-illustrated.blogspot.com/

http://pinterest.com/VeganCookbooks/

#8 Old 10-22-2009, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo View Post

I don't know if I would start another one unless it was necessary. It might be more efficient to approach the leader of this second group and ask what is going on. Perhaps they only meet every month or so. Or perhaps the leader doesn't have time to lead. If that's the case, say that you've got some ideas and would like to try to get things going on a more frequent basis. Perhaps you can be co-leader, or the person in charge of planning activities.

My advice, and I did a lot of organizing in college, is to have a mix of activities. In addition to the leaflets, maybe volunteering at the pound, a trip to a farm sanctuary, a vegan ice cream social, vegan potluck... Passing out leaflets will attract the hardcore people, but the fun and interesting activities will attract a broader audience, and that's what you'll need to grow the group.

I think I've heard that about 3 percent of the population in the US is vegan and around 25 percent is interested in vegetarianism. If you know the size of the student body you could calculate the size of the potential audience on campus.

25% interested in vegetarianism? where did you get such a high number?
#9 Old 10-22-2009, 12:37 PM

I was disappointed to discover my University doesn't even have a Vegan group. I know people would say "well start one yourself" but I'm really not outgoing enough to do that sort of thing. Oh well.

Anyway, as other people as said maybe you should leaflet?
#10 Old 10-22-2009, 12:48 PM
Give peas a chance

Quote:
Originally Posted by animallover7249 View Post

25% interested in vegetarianism? where did you get such a high number?

I don't recall the source.

Vegan Cookbooks Illustrated

http://vegan-cookbooks-illustrated.blogspot.com/

http://pinterest.com/VeganCookbooks/

#11 Old 10-22-2009, 02:10 PM

how disappointing.
#12 Old 10-22-2009, 05:48 PM

Quote:

I would talk to the leader....if i could get a hold of him! He wont return my e-mails and I went to the Action Office on campus and they say that he is hardly ever around. They also said that they think the meetings still happen but no one really knows. So there isn't really a group that I would be competing against. So as far as I can tell there are no other meetings. I show up when they are supposed to happen but no one is ever there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolo View Post

I was disappointed to discover my University doesn't even have a Vegan group. I know people would say "well start one yourself" but I'm really not outgoing enough to do that sort of thing. Oh well.

The problem was never about me not leafleting. I have and will continue to do this myself. I am upset because I was really excited to get in with a veg*n community that I thought was here.

It's hard to believe that a campus with 30,000 can have 4 different cooking clubs and not one veg*an!! Where are all the veg*ns around here!!

Thanks everyone for your support and ideas. At least I have VB so I don't loose my mind talking to omni's all the time!
#13 Old 10-23-2009, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJVeggie View Post

I was thinking that it just kind of broke up and I never got the memo!

It's also possible that it was brand new (like an idea but not a reality yet) and fizzled out before it started. It happens to many groups for various reasons. You should definitely start your own and make use of the bulletin boards around campus. Also take advantage of any Internet methods of advertising your group that the University provides.

Quote:

I know a lot of socially awkward people (including myself) that have started and now successfully run groups.
#14 Old 10-23-2009, 07:48 PM

Quote:

That's an incredibly high number. According to wikipedia, a CNN and Time poll in 2002 showed that 4% of the US population considers itself vegetarian (which probably includes pescetarians and such, people who say they're veg but aren't), and of that, 5% says they're vegan. So, 0.2% of the US population is vegan.

A different 2006 poll found that 1.4% of the US was vegan. But the poll group was only 1,000 people.
#15 Old 10-24-2009, 07:10 AM

Interesting notion, wondering how many vegetarians are in the US.

2.3% of the population, according to here:

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m.../ai_n16834301/

which looks like a relatively good Harris survey, based on the specificity of the questions.

So, for finding vegan/vegetarians on a campus, I'd go to a whole foods or earth fare or someplace like that to see the flyers posted.

Note that sometimes "we" or our messages are not greeted with open arms by those who are accidentally or on-purpose addicted to meat.
#16 Old 10-24-2009, 07:30 AM

I saw a 25% number referring to college-aged/enrolled people who would choose a vegetarian option if it were offered. This of course doesn't make them vegetarians.
#17 Old 10-24-2009, 10:25 AM

as an e-board member of an AR club I have to say it's difficult to have especially productive meetings. Club meetings are usually about club business, like deciding the next event, and there isn't that much to cover. I'm still trying to get my group to go leafleting or table but we're a bit disorganized. I'd say go to the club and propose your ideas. They would probably love a little direction and leadership help.
#18 Old 10-25-2009, 07:54 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Cute doggy picture!
#19 Old 10-26-2009, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJVeggie View Post

So I am sorry about this long rant. I am just sad because I was looking forward to finally having some veg*an friends. It has been 3 weeks and I haven't heard anything more about the meetings or received any e-mails. What do I do?!

Because students go through a lot of personal growth during uni life and consequently experience a lot of change in what motivates them, I think a lot of uni groups can be very superficial in nature at times. If you're looking for commitment, I'd recommend joining an official vegan group in your city outside of your uni. I think you'll have more luck.

m8itcanw8.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page