Vegan Butter or Margarine (Not Earth Balance, and with no palm oil) - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-21-2009, 03:50 PM
Beginner

So the more I learn about palm oil, the less I want to eat Earth Balance. Anyone know of a vegan butter/margarine that does not contain palm?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-21-2009, 04:19 PM
Beginner

From this thread about palm oil:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJVeggie View Post

From Earth Balance in response to Palm Oil Question:

100% of the palm oil used in Earth Balance originates in peninsular Malaysia and not Eastern Malaysia (i.e. Sarawak and Sabah on the Island of Borneo), the main home for orangutans. As the orangutan.com website points out, slash and burn clearing methods are illegal. We purchase our oil exclusively from reputable, law-abiding plantations which are registered with the Malaysian

government.

Palm oil and soybean oil are the major edible oils in the world, together they account for over 50% of all oil consumed worldwide. The alternative to palm oil in the world markets is hydrogenated soybean oil. If we reduce the world supply of palm, the markets will compensate by growing more soybeans.

Soybean cultivation is wasteful of natural resources. Palm plantations require only a fraction of the acreage to produce the same quantity of oil as soybean farms. An acre of palm trees will produce roughly 8,000-9,000 kgs of oil per year while an acre of soybeans produces roughly 1,000 kgs of oil

per year. Brazil is now the world’s largest and fastest growing producer of soybeans. For every acre of Malaysian palm oil converted back to jungle, several acres of Brazilian or Argentinean forest must be converted to farmland.

It is for these reason that we feel palm oil should be part of an environmentally friendly food supply chain. The following site has more information about the cultivation of palm oil in Malaysia.

http://www.mpopc.org.my/index1.htm.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#3 Old 10-25-2009, 10:52 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid_child View Post

I'd still be skeptical of that, they're still clearing rainforest, still destroying the habitats of endangered species.

In Australia we have a pretty good brand called Nuttelex, it comes in canola and olive and other varieties. There are mainstream brands of margarine that are based on olive or canola oil, but check for milk products
#4 Old 10-26-2009, 07:43 AM
Beginner

Thanks for the info rabid_child!
#5 Old 11-12-2009, 01:47 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid_child View Post

Thanks for the info, I have a friend who cannot eat palm oil for health reasons, anyone know a vegan butter with out it?
#6 Old 03-20-2010, 07:47 PM
Beginner

I buy Fleischmann's unsalted margarine that is OU Parve. It it not certified vegan, but uses no animal ingredients and has no Palm oil.
LadyJane1 likes this.
#7 Old 03-20-2010, 07:51 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsoDope View Post

I buy Fleischmann's unsalted margarine that is OU Parve. It it not certified vegan, but uses no animal ingredients and has no Palm oil.

What are the ingredients?

“May all sentient beings be free of pain and suffering.  May all sentient beings experience eternal joy and happiness.  gate gate pāragate pārasaṃgate bodhi svāhā.”
http://www.facebook.com/doktormartini
http://twitter.com/#!/MartyBaureis
http://doktormartini.tumblr.com

#8 Old 03-20-2010, 08:05 PM
Beginner

Liquid soybean oil, water, partially hydrogenated soybean oil, vegetable mono and diglycerides and soy lecithin, potassium sorbate, and calcium disodium EDTA, phosphoric acid, natural and artificial flavor, vitamin A palmitate, colored with beta carotene, vitamin D3.

BUT I just looked up vitamin A palmitate and it apparently comes from palm oil. Sorry guys.
#9 Old 03-20-2010, 08:09 PM
Beginner

D3 is animal derived, unfortunately.

don't take my life away, don't take my life away.
#10 Old 03-20-2010, 08:20 PM
Beginner

Poo.
#11 Old 03-20-2010, 08:47 PM
Beginner

and EDTA is cytotoxic and genotoxic, and it has trans fats.

“May all sentient beings be free of pain and suffering.  May all sentient beings experience eternal joy and happiness.  gate gate pāragate pārasaṃgate bodhi svāhā.”
http://www.facebook.com/doktormartini
http://twitter.com/#!/MartyBaureis
http://doktormartini.tumblr.com

#12 Old 03-21-2010, 01:10 AM
Beginner

Nucoa, in the tubs, not cubes. I actually don't know what type of oil it is, I just like that it's cheaper - WAY cheaper and vegan. (The cubes are vegan too - but have a trace of transfat)
#13 Old 03-21-2010, 10:58 AM
Beginner

I think I'll trust the claim given by Earth Balance until further research.There are just as many animals killed in the farming of our veggies than palm oil.
#14 Old 03-21-2010, 11:19 AM
Beginner

There's a bit of a debate about whether or not there can be vegan D3. Tropicana claimed their vegan D3 was "synthetic" a couple of years ago, some vegan vitamin makers claim to have vegan D3 as well, but at least one seems to use some animal parts in the process:

www.gardenoflife.com/D3

Vit A Palmitate, fwiw can also come from a variety of sources, including fish.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#15 Old 03-21-2010, 04:47 PM
Beginner

I get pure soya marg. The brand is called 'pure' and I can get it in Asda (UK) or from the local health food shop.
sam alshebany likes this.
#16 Old 03-21-2010, 04:59 PM
Beginner

Pure has palm oil in it, as well: http://www.puredairyfree.co.uk/soya.php

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#17 Old 03-22-2010, 02:04 AM
Beginner

Oh - didn't know that and now it'll bug me. Hardly ever use it to be honest but the kids put it on their toast
sam alshebany likes this.
#18 Old 03-22-2010, 02:05 AM
Beginner

I've just stopped using it all together. I am a total margarine/butter-whatever spread lover and am finding that with time you learn to enjoy foods without it and cut calories. Just a thought
#19 Old 03-22-2010, 04:22 AM
Banned

You can make your own margarine using this recipe:

1 cup sunflower oil

1 tsp liquid lecithin

1 cup cold water

Pour a little of the water into a blender, then add oil and lecithin. Blend briefly on high speed while adding the rest of the water. Store in refrigerator and use within 2-3 weeks. Variation: for a very rich cream substitute, add 1 tbsp maple syrup and 2 tsp carob powder.
#20 Old 03-22-2010, 08:46 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsoDope View Post

Liquid soybean oil, water, partially hydrogenated soybean oil, vegetable mono and diglycerides and soy lecithin, potassium sorbate, and calcium disodium EDTA, phosphoric acid, natural and artificial flavor, vitamin A palmitate, colored with beta carotene, vitamin D3.

BUT I just looked up vitamin A palmitate and it apparently comes from palm oil. Sorry guys.

In addition to the D3, also you don't know what the "natural" flavor is.
#21 Old 03-23-2010, 01:58 AM
Beginner

Thanks Mr Falafel.

Do you get liquid lechithin in healthfood shops?

Mine have already started stocking nutritional yeast just for me for homemade 'cheese'. I'm going tonight so will have a look!

Sounds nice and easy.

I can happily do without marg personally but the kids are probably not ready for that level of health!
#22 Old 03-23-2010, 07:42 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFalafel View Post

1 cup sunflower oil

1 tsp liquid lecithin

1 cup cold water

Pour a little of the water into a blender, then add oil and lecithin. Blend briefly on high speed while adding the rest of the water. Store in refrigerator and use within 2-3 weeks. Variation: for a very rich cream substitute, add 1 tbsp maple syrup and 2 tsp carob powder.

Thanks for this it will come in handy when baking I don't suppose you know how to convert us cups to uk do you? I always have trouble
#23 Old 03-23-2010, 10:33 AM
Beginner

Quote:

1 cup sunflower oil

1 tsp liquid lecithin

1 cup cold water

dang...your like a living cookbook....lol.
#24 Old 03-23-2010, 04:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montyruth View Post

Thanks Mr Falafel.

Do you get liquid lechithin in healthfood shops?

Mine have already started stocking nutritional yeast just for me for homemade 'cheese'. I'm going tonight so will have a look!

Sounds nice and easy.

I can happily do without marg personally but the kids are probably not ready for that level of health!

Not sure what you can get locally. Probably easiest to get on-line if that's something your family may enjoy. I'd probably add some salt and some other things to zing it up a bit.
#25 Old 03-23-2010, 04:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanz76 View Post

Thanks for this it will come in handy when baking I don't suppose you know how to convert us cups to uk do you? I always have trouble

Just use a standard UK tea cup as a US 'cup' measure. Its not the actual measurement that is the issue, its the ratios that are important here. Just use a small cup and measure the same amount of water and sunflower oil and add a dash of lecithin, blend and taste, adjust, taste, adjust etc. With experimentation you'll probably come up with something unique and better than the original recipe.
#26 Old 03-24-2010, 06:13 AM
Beginner

Quote:

Just use a standard UK tea cup as a US 'cup' measure. Its not the actual measurement that is the issue, its the ratios that are important here. Just use a small cup and measure the same amount of water and sunflower oil and add a dash of lecithin, blend and taste, adjust, taste, adjust etc. With experimentation you'll probably come up with something unique and better than the original recipe.

Awesome, thanks
#27 Old 03-26-2010, 06:55 AM
Beginner

Quote:

1 cup sunflower oil

1 tsp liquid lecithin

1 cup cold water

Amazing! I still have a huge tub of earth balance But I'm going to find the liquid lecithin and give it a try. How much does this recipe make...it is 2 cups?

Teaching people to cook vegan food that everyone will love... http://www.youtube.com/user/vegancookingwithlove

#28 Old 03-26-2010, 07:05 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelle1908 View Post

Amazing! I still have a huge tub of earth balance But I'm going to find the liquid lecithin and give it a try. How much does this recipe make...it is 2 cups?

Looks like it makes 2 cups and 1 tsp of margarine But like I said before, I would recommend you play around with the recipe and add some other things for taste, like salt, for one.
#29 Old 01-28-2013, 10:34 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFalafel View Post

1 cup sunflower oil

1 tsp liquid lecithin

1 cup cold water

Despite being very sceptical how lecithin could transform water into a more solid form, I gave it a try and it DID NOT work.

Other recipes work with much less water and end up with cream style spreads. Tests to get it more firm by placing it in the fridge lead to speration of the ingredients.

I would love to get your advice or a photo of your end product.

#30 Old 01-28-2013, 12:49 PM
Beginner

I'm using vegan Becel but just learned today that they are owned by Unilever who test some of their products on animals (they are forced by law and are looking for alternatives but until then, animals will suffer). 

So I found this website explaining vegan butter in details to follow on MrFalafel recipe. Lecithin is pretty cheap I think once my Becel is finished I'll make my own! so easy.

"To the world you may be just one person, but to one life you may be the world."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page