> 3 cups water or vegetable stock

> 1 cup lentils

> 2 cups rolled oats

> 1/4 cup oat bran

> 1/4 cup oil

> 1 beaten egg or a substitute

> 1 clove garlic minced

> 1/4 cup organic ketchup or tomato sauce

Add lentils to boiling stock and simmer 20 minutes. Add oats and bran let soak for 10 minutes. mix in the rest of the ingredients and turn into oiled loaf pan. Top with ketchup or sauce and bake at 350 F. for 30 minutes. Let sit in pan for 5 minutes, then turn out, slice when cooled.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-22-2006, 12:29 PM

This is exactly what I'd like to do, with some additional veggies, because I assume it would freeze ok. Have you tried it? If I only had an oven. Ah well, eventually.
#3 Old 10-22-2006, 03:11 PM

Sounds yummy, but I'd leave out the garlic if you're sharing it with your pet.

Garlic can cause anemia in some animals. A small amount is usually okay, but I'd leave it out of the recipe just to be safe. http://www.felinefuture.com/nutrition/garlic.php

#4 Old 10-22-2006, 04:03 PM
DLS

savvyidler, I have only made one loaf at a time, my dogs usually gobble it up pretty quick. And yes, you can add all sorts of things to the recipe even dried fruits and nuts {ground up}. I see no reason why you could not freeze it either. kpickell, you can leave the garlic out if you are worried about it. I have been feeding my dogs lots of garlic for many years, without any problems. I have no experience with feeding garlic to cats though, so can not advise anyone else on the matter.
#5 Old 01-05-2010, 04:46 PM

kpickle, your link doesn't work.

My brand new website for health coaching, and where all of my recipes will reside!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
previous food photography and portrait blog: www.creativeinspirationsphotography.blogspot.com

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1435413727
#6 Old 08-24-2011, 08:26 AM

I love the idea of sharing a meal with a dog! My dog refuses to eat anything but cat food though - she will not be weened!
#7 Old 02-22-2012, 01:17 PM
Veggie Regular

which type of lentils?
#8 Old 02-22-2012, 05:06 PM
Impeach the psychopath

Both tomatoes and garlic (onions too) are questionable for dogs. There are many people foods dogs shouldn't have, including avacado, chocolate, macadamia nuts, and mushrooms. You should also not let your dog smoke pot. Seriously.

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"The fact is, none of us truly win, until we all win."
#9 Old 06-01-2012, 01:37 AM

This look awesome! I already added this recipe today in my menu for next week. I will buy some lentils on sunday I will make sure that I will cook some like this! Thanks for sharing!

http://allstopsnoringaids.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page