red beans and rice....they loved it!!! - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 
 6Likes

#1 Old 02-08-2015, 04:39 PM

red beans and rice....they loved it!!!

So, I have been making homemade dog food...mixed in with what they have left of regular kibble(not a big fan of)......I did some research as to what is an acceptable diet for dogs and found out that they can eat legumes.......yeah, already knew that peanut butter was on the menu....just wasn't sure about other beans. So I made a big batch of red beans and rice...made it bland and then added hot sauce for me in the bowl. They each had seconds....my little dog kept licking the bowl but I felt that two helpings was enough because I am sure that it swells in the stomach. So, there is still enough for them to have tomorow .

Just thought that I would share!!!!

We are all an extension of the one divine source....can we be kind to each other?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-08-2015, 04:45 PM
Vegan as f**k

Dogs can certainly thrive on a vegan diet
#3 Old 02-08-2015, 04:48 PM
Lovable misanthrope

Well done! Converting your pets is a step closer to proper hardcore veganism
One of my cats loves vegan butter soft cheese and vegan sausages as well as olives and chips- one vegan pussy!

it takes guts to be gentle and kind

#4 Old 02-08-2015, 05:08 PM
Vegan as f**k

Capstan, mgmxv and MozIsMyShepherd like this.
#5 Old 02-09-2015, 03:29 AM
Lovable misanthrope

Hahaha , awwww looks so lush and lovely

#6 Old 02-09-2015, 10:42 AM

Today we had frozen blueberries added to last nights dinner, well, they did....i made stove top biscuits.....

I have heard that cats may get some kind of anal gland disease from becoming vegan...anyone else hear that story? It seemed real...the woman said that she had to spend like 700 dollars on the surgery. IT is easier to transition my dogs as I feed them from my plate all the time anyway...and if its from my hand it's even better!!

I am a big advocate of surviving predominately on raw food....when I was in a situation where i could afford my meals and my animals to be raw...we were...however, they were not vegan....but mostly raw. I ordered food from BARF and made their meals from organic meats. In the wild I believe that they would catch small animals and eat greens...my funds are currently VERY limited and so our meals are mostly cooked grains.....Honestly, I am not a huge believer that we are intended to eat so many grains....when we look at the plants of grain ( rice, wheat, quinua, millet) it takes a long time to eat a few harvested grains,.....corn , on the other hand, is a made to eat grain and is gluten free which so many people have allergies to. (this is my opinion, of course) Fruit, veggies, herbs grow abundantly and continue to thrive in the right conditions...It is a shame that we have become so separated from the raw truth and in the name of beauty and vanity have become so numb to the lifelessness that exists .

We are all an extension of the one divine source....can we be kind to each other?
#7 Old 02-09-2015, 01:40 PM

well, I stand corrected...I caught my little dog eating what appeared to be a dried dead dragon....I mean, I think that it was a dragon...it was mostly devoured except for the scull and one arm which I am saving...it had little ears. I guess that our dogs will eat bones from small animals even if they havent been caught on their own. So, giving them the fillers of rice, beans, peanut butter and berries might just get them by until they scavenge for the calcium needed from little dead creatures. I do not mean to offend anyone with the description...it wasn't a gory thing .

#8 Old 02-09-2015, 01:45 PM
Lovable misanthrope

Yes I've heard that vegan diet is harmful to cats but didn't know the details. My cats eat commercial non vegan cat food, but one of them usually asks for second (vegan) breakfast, he's trained me well....

700 is nothing, I paid over 1000 for my cats orthopaedic surgeries and then picked up a stray who was not well and ended up having oral surgery which cost me another 1000 . Shame vet services are not more affordable, the kids and I had to give up all our treats for months in order to recover
Go Vegan likes this.

#9 Old 02-09-2015, 02:59 PM
Vegan as f**k

Quote:
Originally Posted by MozIsMyShepherd View Post
Yes I've heard that vegan diet is harmful to cats but didn't know the details. My cats eat commercial non vegan cat food, but one of them usually asks for second (vegan) breakfast, he's trained me well....

700 is nothing, I paid over 1000 for my cats orthopaedic surgeries and then picked up a stray who was not well and ended up having oral surgery which cost me another 1000 . Shame vet services are not more affordable, the kids and I had to give up all our treats for months in order to recover
Wow that is very kind of you Moz! You have really helped those cats I'm sure that stray has a new lease of life
#10 Old 02-10-2015, 11:28 AM
Lovable misanthrope

I've been lucky to be able to afford it, even if we had to give up stuff for a while, but I don't know what poorer people do...my rent is going up and I dread, I don't know how people manage it. I've heard of blue cross but not sure if the standard of care is as high...all my cats are getting old now so could mean more trips to the vet any time... It's funny we always had cats as I was growing up, but never had to take them to the vets. Maybe it's because they were house cats, so the risks were minimal. But now I'm an adult there's always something with my cats. We even had to take a gerbil to the vets as he had an eye infection, seems to be my luck...

#11 Old 02-10-2015, 02:24 PM
Vegan as f**k

Yes vet bills can be high...The PDSA will help people below a certain income though...

MozIsMyShepherd likes this.

Why is the suffering and killing of animals wrong? Because the value of a sentient organism's life is priceless. They are their own beings and have their own lives and loves. They have higher emotions and thought processes. Their minds are different from ours in degree, not kind - meaning that fundamentally there are critical similarities.
#12 Old 02-10-2015, 02:40 PM
Lovable misanthrope

Oh really so do they demand proof of income? My assistant used their services for her dog and she was full time so would have prob been just below my part time income... Why did I think they were called blue cross...!?

#13 Old 02-10-2015, 02:45 PM
Vegan as f**k

Do you qualify for PDSA Vet Care?

https://www.pdsa.org.uk/pdsa-vet-care/eligibility
MozIsMyShepherd likes this.

Why is the suffering and killing of animals wrong? Because the value of a sentient organism's life is priceless. They are their own beings and have their own lives and loves. They have higher emotions and thought processes. Their minds are different from ours in degree, not kind - meaning that fundamentally there are critical similarities.
#14 Old 02-10-2015, 03:06 PM
Lovable misanthrope

Ahh I see, if you don't provide documents you pet can still get emergency care. I imagine if there's an emergency you Won't be wasting time looking for documents anyway...

#15 Old 02-10-2015, 06:33 PM
Vegan as f**k

Yes that's true! The PDSA provide a very important service
#16 Old 02-14-2015, 05:47 PM

My older dog of 15 years shnauzer mix has thrown up twice today. She did fine last couple of days ...lentils this morning with nutritional yeast, then oat peanut butter mixture with nutrtional yeast and peanut butter...and some oil earlier on some pasta that I shared with the both of them. Not sure what it could be....any suggestions?

Thanks

#17 Old 02-14-2015, 09:20 PM
Lovable misanthrope

If you only just introduced a vegan duet into your 15 y o dog's life then could it be he is having a hard time readjusting? 15 years is a very respectable age... Also maybe that particular food didn't agree with him? Has he had it before? One of my cats is often sick, but he has pancreatitis, I just aim to limit his food intake which is a hard task as he is very passionate about food

#18 Old 02-15-2015, 10:26 AM

Well, I figured out what the problem was... I read the side of a dog kibble bag and got worried that she wasn't getting enough fat...oil...to lubricate her joints...so I believe that i may have doused the food with too much oil...it kinda came out too fast and I figured that she needed it....Now I will be extra cautious...and continue monitoring the vegan diet with animal friendly sbnacks in between. Otherwise, they both seem to have energy!!!

#19 Old 02-15-2015, 10:49 AM
Vegan Newbie 2016

I am interested in the idea of feeding vegetarian or vegan diets to pets.....but there must be so much to learn before untaking a full transition. Does anyone have any good websites to share that would educate on feeding dogs and cats vegan or vegetarian diets? I think consulting with a veterinary nutritionist would be a good idea right off the bat?
#20 Old 02-15-2015, 10:56 AM
Lovable misanthrope

Yes but the fact that none of the vets ive ever had my pets registered with ever sold vegan cat or dog food may speak for the fact that perhaps they are not too pro vegan diet...not sure, I never enquired, but remember reading somewhere that dogs thrive on vegan diet but cats would get very ill as they are pure carnivores... Can't remember which website it was though. I'll post the link if I find it.

#21 Old 02-15-2015, 11:09 AM
Vegan Newbie 2016

Quote:
Yes but the fact that none of the vets ive ever had my pets registered with ever sold vegan cat or dog food may speak for the fact that perhaps they are not too pro vegan diet...not sure, I never enquired, but remember reading somewhere that dogs thrive on vegan diet but cats would get very ill as they are pure carnivores... Can't remember which website it was though. I'll post the link if I find it.
yes I know regular vets are probably not going to be on board with this, but its because a general practice vet is not trained specifically in nutrition. I am sure an animal nutritionist or dietition who is trained specifically for that field would be a lot more helpful. also you know vets that sell food at their office, they get kick backs from that of course. its just like doctors offices getting kick backs for selling specific brands of pills. anyway I would just be worried about not meeting my dogs needs, so thats why I would love to see some research on this topic!

this forum is so interesting! I am so glad I found it!
#22 Old 02-15-2015, 12:39 PM
Lovable misanthrope

http://pets.webmd.com/features/veget...diet-dogs-cats
Have a look at this and see if you find it helpful

#23 Old 02-15-2015, 09:43 PM
Vegan as f**k

Dogs definitely thrive on a vegan diet...Cats as obligate carnivores are trickier customers...
#24 Old 02-16-2015, 11:05 AM
Lovable misanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Vegan View Post
This is my wallpaper on the comp at work now, receives lots of admiration

#25 Old 02-16-2015, 06:15 PM

I fed my dogs a meal of oat groats and sweet potatoe for dinner...they both were licking their chops for a second bowl. They had black beans and brown rice with a bit of greens , nutrtional yeast and oil, earlier today...it stayed down for sasha...was glad. Tonights meal was naturally sweet and I served it warm with no extras. I am choosing to give them smaller portions and watching the reactions...sometimes snacks during the day ...they like tortillas with peanut butter.

http://www.peta.org/living/companion...g-food-recipe/

here is webpage to read more about feeding dogs a vegan diet

#26 Old 02-16-2015, 11:32 PM
Lovable misanthrope

Well, you are doing really well, paying so much detail to their diet and spending so much time preparing it. They are very lucky dogs

#27 Old 02-17-2015, 03:36 AM
Vegan as f**k

Quote:
This is my wallpaper on the comp at work now, receives lots of admiration
That's cool

I might change my wallpaper now!
#28 Old 02-17-2015, 10:18 AM
Lovable misanthrope

Cool what was yours before? Mine was my kids ice skating in Kensington, now vegan doggy

#29 Old 02-18-2015, 03:57 AM
Vegan as f**k

I made my current wallpaper out of various smaller images. It is supposed to represent the closeness between quantum mechanics and life
#30 Old 02-18-2015, 11:52 AM
Lovable misanthrope

Let's have a look

Tags
dog beans and rice , red dog food

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page