Wotsitcalled? - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 
 83Likes

#1 Old 06-01-2017, 01:11 PM
Impeach the psychopath

Wotsitcalled?

Here's a new game we can play. We played this over at The Saucy Vegan, but I'm sad to report, SV has gone offline, so I thought I'd introduce it here.

Your job, if you decide to accept it, is to guess the title of a film, a play, a song, a book, an opera- whatever it is- based on the clue I give.

If you don't know the answer, players can ask up to ten questions for further clues. Questions must be of the 'yes-or-no' type, like, "Was the song composed by George and Ira Gershwin," etc. If you're absolutely stumped, you can simply ask for an extra clue.

Whoever guesses the title right wins, and must then pose the next puzzle. Be sure to state what it is (book, movie, etc.) and provide a relevant clue. Shall we?

Here's the first one. I'll try to make it easy-

A movie, based on a play. Lovers reunite in war-torn Africa.

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"The fact is, none of us truly win, until we all win."

Last edited by Capstan; 06-01-2017 at 01:23 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-01-2017, 07:14 PM
Vegan since 1991

Does it star Meryl Streep?

_________

“Under the twinkling trees was a table covered with Guatemalan fabric, roses in juice jars, wax rose candles from Tijuana and plates of food — Weetzie's Vegetable Love-Rice, My Secret Agent Lover Man's guacamole, Dirk's homemade pizza, Duck's fig and berry salad and Surfer Surprise Protein Punch, Brandy-Lynn's pink macaroni, Coyote's cornmeal cakes, Ping's mushu plum crepes and Valentine's Jamaican plantain pie."

from Witch Baby, Francesca Lia Block, 1991
#3 Old 06-01-2017, 07:44 PM
Impeach the psychopath

No. Good guess, but try again.

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara

#4 Old 06-03-2017, 11:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Is it Casablanca?
Capstan likes this.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#5 Old 06-03-2017, 11:58 PM
Impeach the psychopath

Dingdingding! You got it, @Purp . Well done. Your turn to dazzle us with a stumper.
Purp likes this.

#6 Old 06-04-2017, 06:09 PM
Veggie Regular

It's a book and a movie about a boarding school.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#7 Old 06-04-2017, 06:49 PM
Impeach the psychopath

Has the book been made into a movie more than once?
Purp likes this.

#8 Old 06-04-2017, 10:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capstan View Post
Has the book been made into a movie more than once?
Nope.

#9 Old 06-04-2017, 11:06 PM
Impeach the psychopath

Is it about Harry Potter?
Purp likes this.

#10 Old 06-06-2017, 01:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Cool

Quote:
Is it about Harry Potter?
Why, yes it is. How'd you know?

#11 Old 06-06-2017, 01:31 PM
Impeach the psychopath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purp View Post
Why, yes it is. How'd you know?
My first thought was, Goodbye, Mr. Chips, but it's been filmed more than once. Then I thought, Dead Poets Society, but it wasn't a book, just a film. Harry Potter was a lucky guess.

The question is, which film? Is it the first one, The Sorcerer's Stone?
Purp likes this.

#12 Old 06-06-2017, 10:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Cool

Quote:
My first thought was, Goodbye, Mr. Chips, but it's been filmed more than once. Then I thought, Dead Poets Society, but it wasn't a book, just a film. Harry Potter was a lucky guess.

The question is, which film? Is it the first one, The Sorcerer's Stone?
Yes, it is.

#13 Old 06-07-2017, 12:26 PM
Impeach the psychopath

Okay, this one may not be so easy-

A #1 hit song from the 1950s that was banned from Boston radio, for being too 'suggestive.' It's about a girl and boy on a date.

#14 Old 06-09-2017, 09:52 PM
person

Wake up Little Susie - Everly bros ?
Capstan likes this.

"The time will come when men such as I will look upon the murder of animals as they now look upon the murder of men." - Leonardo Da Vinci, Italian Painter, Sculptor, Architect, Musician, Engineer, and Scientist

When it comes to having a central nervous system, and the ability to feel pain, hunger, and thirst, a rat is a pig is a dog is a boy. ~Ingrid Newkirk
#15 Old 06-09-2017, 11:15 PM
Impeach the psychopath

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMts View Post
Wake up Little Susie - Everly bros ?
You got it! Were you around back then? Your go....

#16 Old 06-10-2017, 09:50 PM
person

Just love '50s and early '60s music is all.

OK, hope this won't be too hard.

A movie based on a play which is based on another play.
Capstan likes this.

"The time will come when men such as I will look upon the murder of animals as they now look upon the murder of men." - Leonardo Da Vinci, Italian Painter, Sculptor, Architect, Musician, Engineer, and Scientist

When it comes to having a central nervous system, and the ability to feel pain, hunger, and thirst, a rat is a pig is a dog is a boy. ~Ingrid Newkirk
#17 Old 06-10-2017, 10:49 PM
Impeach the psychopath

I'm gonna go for broke and say, My Fair Lady?

#18 Old 06-10-2017, 11:10 PM
person

no

#19 Old 06-10-2017, 11:22 PM
Impeach the psychopath

Is the movie a musical?

#20 Old 06-10-2017, 11:33 PM
person

No it isn't

#21 Old 06-10-2017, 11:42 PM
Impeach the psychopath

Hmm. Can you provide a little more of a hint- maybe something about its plot or setting?

#22 Old 06-11-2017, 12:39 AM
person

sort of.

The movie has been called an absurdist,existentialist, tragicomedy. Think medieval -for the movie setting and for the play and for the play that that play was based on.

#23 Old 06-11-2017, 11:42 AM
Impeach the psychopath

Is the original play by Shakespeare?

#24 Old 06-11-2017, 07:24 PM
person

Yes

#25 Old 06-11-2017, 07:44 PM
Impeach the psychopath

Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead?
Thalassa likes this.

#26 Old 06-11-2017, 07:56 PM
person

YES - excellent.

#27 Old 06-11-2017, 08:23 PM
Impeach the psychopath

You were very generous with your clues. Try this-

A book that's been filmed at least 3 times and served as the basis for a Broadway musical. It is set on two continents.

#28 Old 06-11-2017, 09:04 PM
person

Is the author of the book English ?

#29 Old 06-11-2017, 09:21 PM
Impeach the psychopath

No.

#30 Old 06-11-2017, 09:35 PM
person

Was the musical successful ?
Capstan likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page