Do centrifugal type juicers kill enzymes? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-07-2009, 05:50 PM
Beginner

Hello, I just bought a Breville 800JEXL Juice Fountain Elite 1000-Watt Juice Extractor. After buying the juicer, I read that centrifugal type juicers (such as Breville 800JEXL) kill the enzymes creating a dead drink. Is there any truth to this claim?

Thank you for you time....deenis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-07-2009, 06:33 PM
Banned

so how does this work then, this enzyme killing via centrifuge?
#3 Old 04-07-2009, 08:43 PM
Beginner

I don't know anything about the specific product you posted, but almost any given blender, food processor or juicer produces heat when it spins. The heat generated is potentially over 115 degrees farenheit. Are you a raw foodist, deenis?
#4 Old 04-07-2009, 11:48 PM
Beginner

Masticating juicers don't produce heat. They press the juice out by squashing the pulp with a low speed screw-type apparatus, rather than by ripping it apart with tiny blades and spinning it at high speed.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#5 Old 04-08-2009, 07:31 AM
Beginner

As long as you aren't overloading your centrifugal juicer you shouldn't have any problem with it killing the enzymes from heat.

Now about enzymes being killed cause they are going to fast on the merry go round - i dunno.
#6 Old 04-08-2009, 08:16 AM
Banned

maybe they just get really scared and the distress causes negative energy flow and bad karma in the consumer?
#7 Old 04-08-2009, 05:15 PM
Beginner

The following reading from Max Gerson, M.D.has prompted me to ask this question.

Here is a link to some of the claims that Centrifugal juicers kill enzymes:

http://www.healingcancernaturally.com/gerson1.html

Here is a quote from the link:

"Now the treatment for tuberculosis was a saltless diet, mostly fruit and vegetables, vegetables cooked without added water, steamed in their own juices, with a heavy pot, no aluminum. The cover had to be heavy and fit well so that the steam could not escape. Then they had to have most of the food raw, finely grated. They had to drink orange juice, grapefruit juice, and apple and carrot juice. This had to be produced in a special machine-a grinder and a separate press-because I found that in centrifugal juicers or liquefiers, I couldn't obtain the kind of juice which cured patients.

At first, I had thought that liquefiers would be the most wonderful thing. All the material was there, nothing was lost. But it didn't work. Then I found out through a physicist that in the liquefier, in the center, there is positive electricity and in the fluid there is negative electricity. This electricity kills the oxidizing enzymes. And that is also true for the centrifugal juicer and the other apparatus. The juice must therefore be made by a grinder and a separate press - if possible, made of stainless steel. (Editor's note: a masticating juicer, such as a Champion, might also work.)"

And at this link ( http://www.healingcancernaturally.co...ml#Bestjuicers ) I found this: "Centrifugal juicers (which spin at high velocity e.g., Ruby, Santos, Miracle Growth) and which are definitely inadequate. Among other things, the high velocity kills enzymes. They seem to be coming in last for nutritional juice quality and are not recommended for cancer patients. Healthy people may also want to avoid them since they seem to destroy much of the healthful ingredients normally found in fresh and fully ripened vegetables and fruit (more here)."

I know that human blood is spun in a centrifuge to separate the components and then one or more of the components is put back into the patient. So, is it true that centrifugal spinning kills enzymes? Any thoughts?

Thank you in advance....deenis
#8 Old 04-11-2009, 06:25 PM
Beginner

Your stomach acid will denature the enzymes after you eat your food.
#9 Old 04-13-2009, 06:20 AM
Beginner

So long as you watch the speeds in your centrifugal juicer it should be fine. If the juice is coming out warm it will be horrible anyway long before it would be warm enough to cause enzyme destruction,

BDP
#10 Old 04-14-2009, 05:41 AM
Beginner

Enzymes are highly sensitive to temperatures and pH, so once you consume the product, both your stomach acid and body heat will denature the enzymes. Even if for some reason its survives, your own digestive enzyme will . . . .well . . . digest it.

Also, I'm not entirely convinced the drink was alive to begin with. I mean, I have no idea how long plant cells continue to metabolize after being removed from the rest of the organism. At a guess I would say much longer then an animal cell, but still, is it truly 'alive'? What does being 'alive' mean, anyway? Does it still consume energy? Does it reproduce? Does it maintain a stable internal environment in the face of a changing external one?!?!

I think I've gone off on a tangent.

All this assumes, of course, that you intend to drink the drink after processing. If you want to use it for something else, then I can't really help. I'm sure there are more efficient ways to extract enzymes from fruit, but dammed if I can think of any.

Whens all said and done, however, I have to ask, why do you want the enzymes to survive the juicer?
#11 Old 04-14-2009, 09:27 AM
Beginner

Lots of reasons you would want to keep the enzymes alive in your food.

http://newsletter.vitalchoice.com/e_...2P3,b7b1jv7h,w

One of the most interesting theories I've heard is that if you eat foods with live active enzymes in them your body doesn't have to use its own store. Some believe that not depleting your enzyme store helps you to extend and live a longer life.
#12 Old 04-14-2009, 05:15 PM
Beginner

I have been reading and watching videos about the work of Dr. Max Gerson, 1925. He claims to be able to cure most uncureable cancers. One of the components that is critical to his treatment is juicing, 13 times a day. He was curing those patients that hospitals had given up on as too far gone with cancer and tuberculosis.

He said that centrifugal juicers would not work on advanced cancer patients and he even recommended that for healthy people to not use centrifugal. He said that the juice needed to be masticated (like the Champion juicer) and then pressed (like the welles press).

If you have not seen his videos, check them out on Netflix. There are also several books to read. This makes one wonder.
#13 Old 04-15-2009, 08:44 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by deenis View Post

I have been reading and watching videos about the work of Dr. Max Gerson, 1925. He claims to be able to cure most uncureable cancers. One of the components that is critical to his treatment is juicing, 13 times a day. He was curing those patients that hospitals had given up on as too far gone with cancer and tuberculosis.

He said that centrifugal juicers would not work on advanced cancer patients and he even recommended that for healthy people to not use centrifugal. He said that the juice needed to be masticated (like the Champion juicer) and then pressed (like the welles press).

If you have not seen his videos, check them out on Netflix. There are also several books to read. This makes one wonder.

I wouldn't put much stock into this. A cure for cancer isn't something that just slips through the scientific community.
#14 Old 08-16-2012, 10:40 AM
Beginner

its not heat that will kill enzyme in cent juices ,theres never enough heat produced. oxidation is main worry ,but drink juice soon  should solve that ,although a test done by michael donaldson proved that enzyme activity was only slighly lower in centrifugal juicers and some even stored better than champion and other masticating juicers. also please take care anyone who says they can cure cancer..personally as soon as someone says that i stop reading.    

main thing juicing is healthy for you if you do it regulary, centrifugal juicers make this easy to do.

#15 Old 07-01-2013, 05:36 PM
Beginner

I would recommend watching Gerson documentaries, because unfortunately a cure for cancer... among other chronic diseases has indeed slipped through the science community. If the population were educated to the fact that we could potentially grow the cure for cancer in our backyards, the multi-billion $ pharmaceutical industry as well as the cancer therapy industry would be out of business. As stated in one of the documentaries, its a sad notion that more people are making a living off of cancer, than they are dieing from it. 

#16 Old 07-04-2013, 02:22 PM
Mostly Raw Vegan

I have a centrifugal Breville juicer &  I have watched all the Gerson videos.  I don't see any way for the enzymes to be killed by the rotating blades, that produce no heat.  My juices are very tasty, and I don't use them for any cancer treatment.  I think it's fine.sunny.gif

All animals should be respected and should have the ability to lead a natural & enjoyable life. This includes not using them for food, or abusing them in any way.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page