How does someone know if they are eating enough calories - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-22-2009, 08:22 AM
Beginner

The reason while I am asking this is because been eating almost all morning today and my stomach is still grumbling. I ate this morning 2 small slices of whole wheat cheese pizza,a glass of milk, a slice of 100% whole wheat bread, strawberry lowfat yogurt also 160z of water so far.I thought I was going with the vegetarian pymanid. Right now I made myself a portabella mushroom gardenburger with rice and fresh cauliflower and another 16oz of water.

How can I tell if I am eating enough? I do not want my body to think I am going into a stravation mode. The stravation mode scares me because I want to be a vegetarian. I am suppose to be on diet. This is not helping me to lose weight if I keep eating all the time.I am going to be seeing my dietation on March 11.

Some that I was talking to who is a meateater suggest that I had a soyjoy bar between meals as well as a piece of fruit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-22-2009, 08:53 AM
Beginner

what time zone are you in? That sounds like a fair amt of food for late morning here on the east coast. Are you really hungry, or are you bored? Are you an emotional eater? YOu say your stomach was growling, but how do you feel? Are you full after eating all of that food?

My brand new website for health coaching, and where all of my recipes will reside! www.TheHolisticDragonfly.com
My previous food photography and portrait blog: www.creativeinspirationsphotography.blogspot.com
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1435413727
#3 Old 02-22-2009, 08:54 AM
Beginner

what you've described here sounds like plenty of calories. Especially considering that you'll no doubt have dinner later also. If you are hungry between meals a soyjoy or a lara bar might be a good idea to stave off the hunger pangs, I suppose.
#4 Old 02-22-2009, 08:54 AM
Beginner

Seems like you have a lot of simple carbs there and not a lot of protein. I myself am a fan of the food mover plan (similar to diabetic exchanges program) because it gives you a calorie budget and then tells you how to divide up that calorie budget among the different food groups. I ignored their silly recommendation to start at 1000 calories and went straight to 1500 calories as recommended by my dietician SIL (and the two trainers on two weight loss television shows I watch!) and have been doing just great. I get six carb servings, 6 protein servings, 4 fruits, etc. Go here and you cans ee what the allotments are for each calorie range and get some basic information on what a serving is:

http://members.tripod.com/sue_in_nj/fm.htm
#5 Old 02-22-2009, 08:55 AM
Beginner

A 2000 calorie diet is for the average person, if you're counting calories, but that's for people who don't really work out and are of the 'average' society. Are you eating enough protein? Do you eat slowely? If you eat slowely and listen to your body, it'll tell you when it's full. That's when you can take just one or two more bites before you feel like you can't eat anymore, but if you're on a diet, that isn't always the best thing to do. I think when people diet, they try to control how much they eat instead of how much they need to eat.
#6 Old 02-22-2009, 09:18 AM
Beginner

I am in the east coast time zone. I eat until I am full. I put 2 servings of vegetable and 1 serving of starches with Lunch and dinner.For breakfast Include whole grains. I ate for lunch today I had a small amount of gardenburger left and a little bit of rice and no cauliflower left and an apple when my stomach said it was full. I think that I am an emotional eater. When I get on the computer to do my work and then I get bored very easy and sometimes quickly.. I know that I have to keep my mind and hands busy all the time so I will not think about food. Thank you for easing my mind. I know what I have to talk about to my dietation when I go.Is going to be about protein. I was told when I started on my diet not to give in to the growling or grumbling if it before 2 hours. I forgot about that. I eat slowly and take at least 20 minutes to eat.
#7 Old 02-22-2009, 12:54 PM
Beginner

when we eat fast, and shove food into ourselves, our brain doesn't register that we are actully full, until after the fact, so eating slowly allows that to happen. also, start out the meal with a glass of water first, as that helps fill the stomach ahead of time.

My brand new website for health coaching, and where all of my recipes will reside! www.TheHolisticDragonfly.com
My previous food photography and portrait blog: www.creativeinspirationsphotography.blogspot.com
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1435413727
#8 Old 02-22-2009, 04:43 PM
Beginner

i get like that sometimes...some days hungry no matter what i eat...lol...but thats just me..hehe.
#9 Old 02-22-2009, 04:51 PM
Arrrg! Me mateys.

You just started out being a vegetarian, right? It's probably because you aren't filling yourself with all that garbage and toxins you would get from meat. Your body feels empty because the healthy food you are now eating isn't full of that stuff. It's getting rid of all the bad stuff in your system. Detoxing.

It will most likely go away over time. Once your body gets used to the fact you won't eat that stuff anymore, it will adjust to the new food.

korrakorrakorrakorrakorra
#10 Old 02-23-2009, 01:01 AM
Beginner

Not to get on the protein train, but if a gardenburger is your only real source of protein you might need some more. Yes, grains, veggies, whatnot have protein, but you could probably use some beans, nuts, seeds, that sort of thing.
#11 Old 02-23-2009, 06:10 AM
Beginner

If you're eating until you're full and maintaining your weight, then you're eating enough calories. If you're losing weight, you're not eating enough; if you're gaining, you're eating too many.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#12 Old 02-23-2009, 11:20 AM
Beginner

To know if you're getting enough calories, just count them and make sure you get at least 1500 a day, more if you're physically active (2000+). Yup, counting calories can go two ways.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page