Faux Seafood? - VeggieBoards

Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-15-2008, 02:43 PM

Seafood is my crutch. I have no qualms about not eating meat. I can do without poultry, although it is a bit more difficult since so much is made with chicken, chicken-stock, etc...but I can avoid it. Seafood, however, is the one thing that I have real trouble with. I'll admit it - I really do enjoy it. It tastes great and as a person who often lacks certain nutrients from my diet, I've found it's easy to get them from seafood meals (it's difficult for me to take pill supplements).

BUT, it makes no sense to not eat other meat, yet continue to eat seafood. I read somewhere there are mock seafoods, but I've only ever seen mock-chicken, beef, and pork in the store. What brands of faux seafood are there? And maybe if anyone who's reading this is from central Ohio, any stores around here that sell it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-15-2008, 07:31 PM

Chickpeas oddly can taste slightly fishy. Michael has posted a good and simple recipe for "tuna" salad that tastes really good.

For the fake fish products, VegeCyber sells some as well as May Wah.

If you have an Asian grocer near you, you might be able to find some faux fish products there.

#3 Old 11-15-2008, 10:52 PM

Also, as someone living in Japan, I can say if you get ahold of sea vegetables (hijiki, kombu, etc) and cook with them it has a fishy taste. It creeps me out sometimes because I can't tell if I'm eating a veggie thing like they said, or if they actually used fish!

I realize these aren't mock seafood, but they can help give you that fishy taste at least.

#4 Old 11-15-2008, 11:32 PM

Michael's "Mock Tuna" salad (as mentioned) is good and very "tuna-like" IF you add some crushed nori or kelp to it...
#5 Old 11-16-2008, 01:13 AM
Banned

SEITAN SEAFOOD

Gluten dough:

2 1/2 c. pure gluten powder

1/4 c. nutritional yeast (maybe a bit less, optional)

2 c. cold water

Simple Broth:

4 c. water

2 T. lemon juice

pinch of sugar and salt

More complex broth:

4 c. water

6" piece of kombu

1 1/2 T. salt

4 dried shiitakes

2 T. lemon juice

1 T. sugar

2 cloves garlic

Mix gluten powder with nutritional yeast; add cold water and stir until well-mixed. Add additional water if necessary, a tablespoon at a time. Knead until smooth and firm. Divide dough into smaller chunks, each maybe about the size of a child's fist. Allow dough to rest for 20 minutes or so for best results.

For "scallops":

Shape a chunk of gluten (or several) into a long roll about 1/2 - 1" in diameter. Cut into little rounds like very thin scallops (make the pieces at least half as small as you want them to be in the end). Mix the cooking broth ingredients and bring to a boil. Drop in the gluten rounds and simmer for 30 minutes uncovered. Strain out seafood.

For "squid" or "fish" or "shark fin":

Dampen a counter with a wet rag. Flatten out a gluten chunk into a very thin fillet shape by pulling and stretching it on the counter. Cut some into thin 1" x 2" rectangles, some into very thin julienne size pieces, some into 1/2" x 2" rectangles. You can leave some as fish-sized fillets too, though it won't work in a bite-sized ceviche dish. Mix broth ingredients and bring to a boil. Drop in seafood and simmer for 30 minutes uncovered. Strain out seafood.

For really weird "tentacles":

Follow instructions for "squid" above making 1"x2" or 1/2" x 2" rectangles. Leaving top part of rectangle intact, cut tentacle strips down the length. Bring broth to a boil, drop in seafood and simmer for 30 minutes uncovered. Strain out seafood.
#6 Old 11-16-2008, 06:39 AM

oh gosh, shark fin and tentacles....lol.

thanks for the recipes. the "scallops" one in particular. scallops, salmon, and tuna are about all i can afford, though i do eat clam chowder, and get salads with crab/lobster on them. substitutes are wonderful.
#7 Old 11-16-2008, 07:31 AM
kat

Sometimes Chinese supermarkets do them. Though when I tried, I found they tasted rather rubbery.
#8 Old 11-16-2008, 10:55 AM

Actually I made a "clam" chowder once that was a huge hit with the omni folk in my office... (They were an adventurous group though, willing to try my "weird stuff"..)

Plain, unflavored seitan cut in bits, a creamy potato soup base with chunks of onion, celery and potato. A few fake-bacon bits and some kelp powder to make it a wee bit "fishy". VERY good stuff.
#9 Old 11-16-2008, 01:13 PM

I searched "imitation crab meat" on here....and it brought up an old thread you might find helpful!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page