Is there such a thing as meat withdrawl? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-26-2008, 10:29 AM

This is my first post so bare with me

I have been wanting to go vegetarian for some time. Well after learning how awful the dairy and edd industry is I desided i needed to restrict those as well. Well, yesterday i took the plunge cold turkey and today I feel like poop. Now it may be coincidence but i wanted others opinions/experiences. Yesturday i ate soymilk, whole grain cearal, oatmeal, nuts, tacos stuffed with veggies and vegitarian refried beans, vegan icream sandwich, peach. maybe i just didnt eat enough. I added up the protien and it was enough. I also take calcium and mvit with iron everyday. oh and feeling like poop means low energy, headache, very mild nausea.

thanks, megan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-26-2008, 10:42 AM

Do you normally eat these foods? Like the beans, soy milk, the oatmeal and all that? Your body might just be reacting to that if you're not used to eating them.

I also notice it doesn't sound like you ate a lot of fruits/veggies other than some in your taco and a peach, I would recommend upping your intake.
#3 Old 08-26-2008, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugirll View Post

This is my first post so bare with me

I have been wanting to go vegetarian for some time. Well after learning how awful the dairy and edd industry is I desided i needed to restrict those as well. Well, yesterday i took the plunge cold turkey and today I feel like poop. Now it may be coincidence but i wanted others opinions/experiences. Yesturday i ate soymilk, whole grain cearal, oatmeal, nuts, tacos stuffed with veggies and vegitarian refried beans, vegan icream sandwich, peach. maybe i just didnt eat enough. I added up the protien and it was enough. I also take calcium and mvit with iron everyday. oh and feeling like poop means low energy, headache, very mild nausea.

thanks, megan

My guess is that either:

a)you're eating something new that disagrees with you

b)you're eating too much or too little

It's sure as hell not "meat withdrawl" from not having any for one day. Think about how many omnivorous people go a day without any meat anyway; it's not so uncommon, and it doesn't make people ill! WHich leads me to:

c)could you possibly building up this whole transition up too much and your mind is playing tricks on you? A good veg*an diet does take some planning and attention, but you sound like you're eating pretty well.

So honestly my advice would be to relax, eat healthily, and give it a day or two. Obviously if the problems continue, it's something you need to address.
#4 Old 08-26-2008, 04:21 PM

What you ate seems ok (but I see you could use more veggies and fruits), and I doubt you're having withdrawls after only one day.

There was a little disagreement between me and soy milk when I first got started, but it passed after awhile. I had some nausea. I can't see anything else, except maybe you're building/holding some gas due to the soy and beans. Could be.

Other than that, I can't see why you'd feel this way after just a day or even 2. Back when I was omni, I had a friend who was a vegetarian and I'd spend 2 -3 days by her house and not eating meat and didn't feel this way.

I do agree that there could be meat detox... I think I went through something similar, but it was after a couple of weeks, I started noticing small changes and abnormalities. But, once the symptoms showed up, they disappeared after a few days.

I agree with Will's "C". Maybe you could take it slower and plan some good meals. Make sure this is truly what you want.

But, don't give up!! Stick with us and you'll do ok... the sluggish feelings will pass with good nutrition.
#5 Old 08-26-2008, 04:44 PM

Theres a very bad joke in here somewhere...

Sorry
#6 Old 08-26-2008, 05:24 PM

Actually, when I went completely vegan from being completely omni I experienced flu like symptoms for almost a week. I was achey, had a headache and was completely exhausted. I felt shakey and sick. I was told that it was my body detoxing from all of the crap that I had been putting into it for so long. At the same time that I went vegan I also cut out caffeine and all artificial sweeteners etc. Give it about a week and see how you feel. It is going to create some chaos in your body when you stop feeding it manufactured crap and dairy/meat that is pumped full of chemicals and you start eating whole foods.

You're doing great! Hang in there and you will reap the benefits!
#7 Old 08-26-2008, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlaybackGuru View Post

Theres a very bad joke in here somewhere...

Sorry

whao!! you are right! See Im not quite up to par. I usually am able to find sexual inuendo in anything...

Yes this is really what I want. i just havent gone to do my massive grocery shopping yet. Im a pysh nurse and work 16 hour night shifts, have a 2 yo, a husband...
#8 Old 08-26-2008, 11:21 PM

I've never bought into the whole detox idea. I don't see any logical reason why your body would hold onto toxins until you stop consuming them, and then suddenly release them.

I could see how someone could go through meat withdrawal, though. Most meat is very high in fat, and it's a different kind of fat than you'd find in plants. Consuming fatty foods is a pleasurable experience for most people, and any short-lived pleasure can become an addiction.

My boyfriend is a big meat-eater; until recently, he hated vegetables and generally avoided them. (He's coming around, though; he devoured my tofu and vegetable stew the other night!) Whenever he finishes a meal, he goes half-comatose as his body diverts energy toward digesting those complex fatty acids. I know the sleepy feeling well, although I never got it as bad as he did; for me, a complete meal has always been at least half plants. Now that I avoid animal products almost entirely, I don't get that feeling after eating at all. But I remember that it had a certain coziness to it; there was a very satisfying sense of relaxation layered under the weary, stuffed feeling. It's a little like smoking pot, actually. Not everyone likes the feeling, and not everyone who does like it is equally attached to it. But people who are really hooked on that cycle might go through a sort of withdrawal when they give it up.
#9 Old 08-27-2008, 07:38 AM

If you were not getting a lot of fiber before, that could be an issue too. It could also be a sugar withdrawal amongst other things. It just depends on what you were eating before.
#10 Old 08-27-2008, 08:13 AM
Banned

Well bugirll , yes ,there is such a thing as meat withdrawal , similar to the symptoms you described . For some , they can go cold turkey and never look back , others , especially in there first month or so can have all sorts of problems .

This is the long haul and it sounds like your goal is to be vegan . If you think your sudden diet change is the cause (although a reaction from day one would be rear ) , some just transition slowly and listen to there body . Just maybe the red meats go first , see how you feel then white meats and then start on the dairy .

Anyway and welcome .
#11 Old 09-10-2008, 02:04 PM

I know I went through shock just going vegetarian cold-turkey; I can't imagine how confused my body would be if I also went vegan cold-turkey.

I had nightmares about chick nuggets and hot wings, I had stomach aches, headaches, etc. Obviously there is a physical component to this: new vegs and vegans might not be getting the right nutrition, but I know there must also have been a psychological component as well.

Consider this: you are consciously quitting something you have eaten your entire life.Your mother has fed you meat since you were old enough to chew and society has always told you how great it is since. You might experience cravings, I know I did, hell I still crave coconut shrimp in moments of weakness to this day. Not to mention lack of support system: we are living in a meat-eater's world, you know. We are a minority, a minority whose admission is purely voluntary. Quitting meat requires a great deal of will power.

In fact studies have shown that we have a very limited supply of willpower. What does that mean? you waste mental energy by restrciting your thoughts and actions (choosing to not eat meat) and that does tax the mind. You put further stress on the mind, especially on those first few crucial months. http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/02/op...se&oref=slogin

So do I believe in meat withdrawal? yes.
#12 Old 09-10-2008, 07:43 PM

Give it a few weeks. It's allergy time, and you could have a cold or something. Just tell yourself "hey, get used to it." Remember-- the brain is also in charge of addictions and cravings so it is not always on your side. I know it sounds strange to say it this way, but you have to "re-train" yourself.
#13 Old 09-10-2008, 10:07 PM

It's a pretty major change for your body and might take some time for it to get adjusted. You're eating more of other foods (beans, fiber, etc.) to make up for the lack of meat, and your body isn't used to that either.

It could be somewhat psychological as well- you're looking for changes in how you feel, etc.
#14 Old 09-10-2008, 10:19 PM

As soon as I become vegetarian I definately went through meat withdraw for a month, then a little while after that it completely vanished. Haven't had a withdrawl since
#15 Old 09-11-2008, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Is there such a thing as meat withdrawl?

No. When ever someone says "withdrawl" just substitute in "laziness".

Racism = Speciesism just as Homophobia = Incestophobia.
Disagree? Then consider that we're all related to some degree and by extension, every sexual instance is incestuous to some degree. The level at which it is typically considered "incest" is entirely arbitrary. If you're the kind of person...
#16 Old 09-11-2008, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogma View Post

that doesn't even make sense.

To the OP: A sudden sharp increase in fiber and soy foods that you weren't used to eating before can cause some digestive upset. It is probably not the lack of meat (since as it was pointed out, plenty of omnis "accidentally" go a day without meat and you don't see them having issues with it) as much as it is a sudden contrast in eating habits that bugged your system. Either way, your body should adjust to the new foods... unless you have some sort of food sensitivity to something you're eating.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#17 Old 09-11-2008, 02:48 PM

Just checking in to see how your feeling?

Hopefully your doing better this week.

Let us know how your coming along in your transition!

Michelle
#18 Old 09-11-2008, 05:01 PM

Thanks for the article, stupidhumanzz! I'd long suspected that was the case; it's neat to have it confirmed by smart science-type people.

Dogma, your contribution is appreciated as well. It's nice to know my grandmother was just going through alcohol laziness and didn't need treatment. And what a great way to encourage people struggling with the physical and psychological challenges of altering one of the most fundamental aspects of existence--the way we eat. Just dismiss their concerns and tell them they're lazy!
#19 Old 09-11-2008, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogma View Post

Well damm, that wasnt nice at all. Im just starting my 5th day as a veggie head and iv had withdrawls like you wouldnt believe.

Stupid humanzz, I agree with everytihng yuou said, we live aorund meat eaters and were all raised thinking it was alright to eat meat. So, naturall when you depreive your body of meat and jsut stop its gonan miss it, i mean ity only makes sense right? your body liked meat and is so sued ti having it, stopping cold turkey and loading up on proteins and high fibers so soon is gonna mae your body rebel, jsut takes getting used too.

let us know how its going!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page