Is Natural Flavoring Bad? - VeggieBoards - A Vegetarian Community
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-13-2008, 05:43 PM
Beginner

This is like the third thread I have posted, but everyone here is really helpful..

Anyways, when reading the ingredients and trying my best to avoid meat products, can anyone tell me some things I should really look out for? I already know about gelatin, but I heard "natural flavoring" is bad. What is it? I mean if tomato sauce said natural flavoring, I just assumed it was from the tomato.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-13-2008, 06:03 PM
Banned

natural flavouring can pretty much mean anything. if its on a product labelled as vegetarian or vegan, you're safe. if not, you'd have to contact the company to find out what it actually is.
#3 Old 06-13-2008, 06:27 PM
Beginner

Natural flavoring can be animal or vegetable sourced. I don't think anyone would think any less of you if you ate an unknown natural flavoring in something. Companies don't always respond.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#4 Old 06-13-2008, 06:38 PM
Banned

Yes "natural flavor" unless stated what it is can mean anything .Chicken stock is used as a natural flavor . Had a natural flavor in a veggie stock listed in the ingredients just recent , checked with the manufactures and found the "natural flavor " was beef stock .
#5 Old 06-13-2008, 07:28 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Yes "natural flavor" unless stated what it is can mean anything .Chicken stock is used as a natural flavor . Had a natural flavor in a veggie stock listed in the ingredients just recent , checked with the manufactures and found the "natural flavor " was beef stock .

That is ridiculous.
#6 Old 06-13-2008, 09:53 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesand View Post

Uhg. That's sick. What brand?
#7 Old 06-13-2008, 10:09 PM
Beginner

Many food processors are very secretive about what their "special formula" is for their crap.

And, law allows that they can keep the exact ingredients a secret, but they must show that there are additional ingredients other than those listed by lumping them into a general category like "Artifical Flavors" "Natural Flavors"

Now then...some companies will tell you the ingredients if you ask, some will be vague like "Yes, it contains animal sourced ingredients," and some won't say anything at all because, well, it's their secret formula.

So, what are veg*ns to do?

My personal rule is this:

If "Natural Flavorings" is listed, and it's something that's supposed to taste like meat, milk, or eggs...I assume the natural flavoring is...meat milk or eggs.

Example: Oranges and Cream Boxed Juice...vegan except for 'natural flavoring.' I assumed it may have had some dairy in it, esp since no other ingredient accounted for the "cream" part.

Another example: I bought several cans of "seasoned beans." They were vegan, but had "natural flavoring." I chanced it, opened one of the cans, and was faced with a chunk of pork. Yup...pork! I re-read the ingredients...but no mention of pork...just "Natural Flavoring."

The above falls under the category of Natural Flavoring in foods traditionally seasoned with animal products.

Soups, unfortunately, are traditionally made with meat stocks. So, natural flavoring in a soup may very well contain meat products...regardless of whether the soup has any meat in it.

Not all natural flavoring could be bad. You'll find it on some specialty vegan items, and some accidentally vegan items that are not something meant to be meaty...like, the lemon candies I'm eating...the natural flavoring is probably citrus based.

My advice, is to accept the fact that you're going to be surprised, you can't avoid it 100%, and just go with your gut feeling about a product. And stay away from canned "seasoned beans."

Give thanks to Mother Earth for Her greatest gift...

...gravity.

For without it, we would be lost.
#8 Old 06-13-2008, 10:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzie View Post

Uhg. That's sick. What brand?

It was a Watties product from NZ . What caught my eye it was used to promote the product in big letters (natural flavor) on the front . Like a sucker , I purchased it , then had a second thoughts and rang the free call number .
#9 Old 06-13-2008, 10:32 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelyPerv View Post

My advice, is to accept the fact that you're going to be surprised, you can't avoid it 100%, and just go with your gut feeling about a product. And stay away from canned "seasoned beans."

All very put, and that's pretty much my philosophy as well.

That's really nasty about the beans. I mean, how do CHUNKS of meat qualify as "natural flavor"?

#10 Old 06-14-2008, 04:44 AM
Beginner

Quote:

That is gross. Why are animal ingredients in everything? I mean how did we ever reach this point? It's disgusting.

I still get sad every now and then when I learned my hostess cupcakes have beef fat in them.
#11 Old 06-14-2008, 04:50 AM
Beginner

Quote:

Many food processors are very secretive about what their "special formula" is for their crap.

And, law allows that they can keep the exact ingredients a secret, but they must show that there are additional ingredients other than those listed by lumping them into a general category like "Artifical Flavors" "Natural Flavors"

Now then...some companies will tell you the ingredients if you ask, some will be vague like "Yes, it contains animal sourced ingredients," and some won't say anything at all because, well, it's their secret formula.

So, what are veg*ns to do?

My personal rule is this:

If "Natural Flavorings" is listed, and it's something that's supposed to taste like meat, milk, or eggs...I assume the natural flavoring is...meat milk or eggs.

Example: Oranges and Cream Boxed Juice...vegan except for 'natural flavoring.' I assumed it may have had some dairy in it, esp since no other ingredient accounted for the "cream" part.

Another example: I bought several cans of "seasoned beans." They were vegan, but had "natural flavoring." I chanced it, opened one of the cans, and was faced with a chunk of pork. Yup...pork! I re-read the ingredients...but no mention of pork...just "Natural Flavoring."

The above falls under the category of Natural Flavoring in foods traditionally seasoned with animal products.

Soups, unfortunately, are traditionally made with meat stocks. So, natural flavoring in a soup may very well contain meat products...regardless of whether the soup has any meat in it.

Not all natural flavoring could be bad. You'll find it on some specialty vegan items, and some accidentally vegan items that are not something meant to be meaty...like, the lemon candies I'm eating...the natural flavoring is probably citrus based.

Wow, great advice. I almost had that run in when I bought some butter beans yesterday. I went straight to the label and it had "bacon" listed. I thought, what? Then turned it over and saw that they were indeed seasoned.

Soup has been very annoying in my case. I am a big soup person and can't eat half of what I use to in restaurants. I was surprised that Progresso has a vegetarian lentil soup. I have been eating that once I week or so when I want some lentils. I actually like it, and I am not one for canned soups.
#12 Old 06-14-2008, 07:54 AM
Beginner

I once had a can of kidney beans that tasted weird... and I saw the can said natural flavoring, so I wrote the company (it was store brand) -- and the flavoring was cloves.

Vegetarian, yes... but who the heck puts cloves in kidney beans??

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#13 Old 06-14-2008, 08:07 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid_child View Post

I once had a can of kidney beans that tasted weird... and I saw the can said natural flavoring, so I wrote the company (it was store brand) -- and the flavoring was cloves.

Vegetarian, yes... but who the heck puts cloves in kidney beans??

-not so rare in some Indonesian and Indian dishes, but yeah, it does seem a little arbitrary for a plain ol' can of beans.
#14 Old 06-14-2008, 10:44 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexVeggie View Post

Wow, great advice. I almost had that run in when I bought some butter beans yesterday. I went straight to the label and it had "bacon" listed. I thought, what? Then turned it over and saw that they were indeed seasoned.

Soup has been very annoying in my case. I am a big soup person and can't eat half of what I use to in restaurants. I was surprised that Progresso has a vegetarian lentil soup. I have been eating that once I week or so when I want some lentils. I actually like it, and I am not one for canned soups.

Hmmm.... I loved their lentil soup as an omni....

When I went veg I went through my kitchen...picked up that soup...and had to give it to my neighbor. But, I can't remember why exactly. Was it a special vegetarian version? Or...was one of us mistaken...

...gravity.

#15 Old 06-15-2008, 05:16 AM
Beginner

Quote:

Hmmm.... I loved their lentil soup as an omni....

When I went veg I went through my kitchen...picked up that soup...and had to give it to my neighbor. But, I can't remember why exactly. Was it a special vegetarian version? Or...was one of us mistaken...

Ok, I am looking at the can right now. It says it is vegetarian, with no MSG. To be honest with you, when I first found out I was puzzled, I didn't know they made soup like this either. It does say natural flavoring, so I think I will write to the company. God I hope it isn't meat, I love it.
#16 Old 06-15-2008, 05:24 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexVeggie View Post

Ok, I am looking at the can right now. It says it is vegetarian, with no MSG. To be honest with you, when I first found out I was puzzled, I didn't know they made soup like this either. It does say natural flavoring, so I think I will write to the company. God I hope it isn't meat, I love it.

I'll double-check next time I go to the store. Perhaps it was the natural flavoring that frightened me away (esp after the pork incident), or maybe we have two different versions.

...gravity.

#17 Old 06-15-2008, 06:58 AM
Beginner

Quote:

Does this pertain to some mock meats, if they don't actually say 'vegetarian' on them, for whatever reason? -I think this may be a dumb question...

But if it says 'vegetarian' and has natural flavor in it, then the flavor cannot be from animal sources, right? If Campbell's Vegetarian Vegetable soup for example had natural flavor in it (not sure if it does- don't have a can to check) it could not be animal derived, could it? Or does the 'vegetarian' just mean there's no actual meat in the soup?
#18 Old 06-15-2008, 06:19 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by *veggie4life* View Post

Does this pertain to some mock meats, if they don't actually say 'vegetarian' on them, for whatever reason? -I think this may be a dumb question...

But if it says 'vegetarian' and has natural flavor in it, then the flavor cannot be from animal sources, right? If Campbell's Vegetarian Vegetable soup for example had natural flavor in it (not sure if it does- don't have a can to check) it could not be animal derived, could it? Or does the 'vegetarian' just mean there's no actual meat in the soup?

No it isn't a dumb question at all.

Sadly, a lot of these companies have different views of vegetarianism. Like once I called up Panera bread to ask about there soups. The girl on the phone said, "all are soups are vegetarian! Expect for chicken of course." The next day I went in there and talked to one of the cooks, and I found out all soups there contain chicken stock, except for the black bean. It made me sad.

As for mock meat products, if you look at morning star ingredients, after it says natural flavoring, it will say "from none meat sources." People who specialize in vegetarian products usually know what were looking for.

I am going to call Progresso tomorrow and see what they say. lets hope it is good news!
#19 Old 06-16-2008, 09:14 PM
Beginner

This is all so disturbing to me. It would be nice if the FDA would pass a law or whatever they do that would help the consumer know EXACTLY what is contained in the products before they purchase them and are surprised. I feel I have a right to know if any animal product or animal by-product is contained in it. Consumers shouldn't have to guess one way or another, because what if you are allergic to meat products and it is hidden under the "natural flavors" clause? That is a lawsuit waiting to happen.
#20 Old 06-17-2008, 02:25 AM
Beginner

Look for fat free too. When I look for burrito makings, the normal beans have lard and **** in them, but the fat free and vegetarian brands are equally good.

Racism = Speciesism just as Homophobia = Incestophobia.
Disagree? Then consider that we're all related to some degree and by extension, every sexual instance is incestuous to some degree. The level at which it is typically considered "incest" is entirely arbitrary. If you're the kind of person...
#21 Old 06-23-2008, 06:02 AM
Beginner

I've heard that "natural flavour" is often MSG. I'm not sure if that's right or not, but it usually turns me off anything with "natural flavours" on the label.

Yvette
#22 Old 06-23-2008, 07:55 AM
Beginner

Quote:

This is the kind of information that could really cut to the chase for everyone if you would go ahead and name the product, so we know not to buy it. Pleae, what brand was it?
#23 Old 06-23-2008, 08:21 AM
Beginner

I just called Progresso and here is the info I got:

If it is labeled vegetarian, they are very strict with that label, and there would be no animal source or bi-product in the natural flavoring.

These soups are vegetarian (might contain egg, honey, something like that. For instance, noodles=egg noodles, milk=creamy)

VEGETARIAN:

Creamy Mushroom

Garden Vegetable

Hearty Tomato

Mac & Beans

Minestrone

Tomato Rotini

Vegetable Italiano

Vegeterian Vegetable with Barley

Lt Italian Vegetarian

VEGAN, will say vegetarian, because so many people don't know the word vegan, but these are vegan:

99% FAT FREE LENTIL

TOMATO BASIL

VEGETABLE CLASSICS LENTIL
#24 Old 06-23-2008, 10:17 AM
Beginner

Wow! What a disturbing thread. This all makes me so sad....

Thanks so much for the detailed info about the soups. That is extremely helpful!
#25 Old 06-25-2008, 01:51 AM
Beginner

I gave up on canned soups. Too much salt and questionable ingredients. I now make my own and am much happier. The only "natural flavors" in my soups are vegetables.
#26 Old 09-04-2012, 01:40 AM
Beginner

I have a petition open about the very same thing. For the Government to pass law so that companies can't hide behind "natural flavors" and all animal ingredients have to be listed. If your interested you can sign it here, hope that someday we vegetarians/vegans dont have such a hard time in the grocery store :)

http://www.change.org/petitions/the-president-of-the-united-states-clear-food-labels-that-list-all-animal-derived-ingredients

Can't think of much I hate worse than the words "Natural Flavors" or "Enzymes" on the ingredient list of a food item.

#27 Old 09-04-2012, 04:07 AM
Beginner

Anyone know if Lay's BBQ chips are vegan?

#28 Old 09-04-2012, 01:33 PM
Beginner

last time I emailed them the natural flavor in  the Lays BBQ was chicken.

Can't think of much I hate worse than the words "Natural Flavors" or "Enzymes" on the ingredient list of a food item.

#29 Old 09-04-2012, 06:34 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai Rodgers View Post

last time I emailed them the natural flavor in  the Lays BBQ was chicken.

spew.gif

Was it the regular or the baked one?

I read that the baked bbq isn't vegetarian because it has chicken fat.

#30 Old 09-05-2012, 11:03 PM
Beginner

The baked kind has chicken fat and the KC Masterpiece kind had some kind of chicken flavoring as well. There are pork enzymes in anything of Frito Lays that has cheese in the ingredients. They are also very unfriendly if you email them about their products they pretty much blow you off as another crazy vegetarian no matter how nice you make the email sad.gif

This website talks about some of the animal sources in lays chips.

http://www.examiner.com/article/vegetarians-beware-of-lay-s-baked-bbq-potato-crisps

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page