Nutritional yeast & nausea - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-08-2008, 02:59 PM
Beginner

New vegetarian (3 days! ) with a question.

Back in the 70's my gramma went on a health kick and started taking brewer's yeast. I tried it myself and got soooooo sick from it... almost like having a stomach bug. No vomiting, but pretty darn close.

I keep hearing about nutritional yeast on the board and in vegan cookbooks and it sounds like something that might be useful. I know it is not the same thing as brewer's yeast, but does it have the same potential to cause stomach problems?

I'd love to try it but I have no desire to go through the icky tummy thing again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-08-2008, 03:06 PM
Banned

I have never had an issue with nutritional yeast.
#3 Old 01-08-2008, 03:09 PM
Banned

According to Wikipedia there are no known side effects of using brewer's yeast, but an allergy to it does exist in some people. Considering that "brewer's yeast" can also loosely refer to any nutritional yeast, I am not sure what to tell you except, try it and see??
#4 Old 01-08-2008, 03:19 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amian View Post

New vegetarian (3 days! ) with a question.

Back in the 70's my gramma went on a health kick and started taking brewer's yeast. I tried it myself and got soooooo sick from it... almost like having a stomach bug. No vomiting, but pretty darn close.

I keep hearing about nutritional yeast on the board and in vegan cookbooks and it sounds like something that might be useful. I know it is not the same thing as brewer's yeast, but does it have the same potential to cause stomach problems?

I'd love to try it but I have no desire to go through the icky tummy thing again.

congratulations on your 3 days

nutritional yeast and brewer's yeast are different things! you might check with your local health food store to make sure you get the right one. i have never seen it in a regular grocery store, and the health food store people generally know quite a bit about what they sell.
#5 Old 01-08-2008, 03:22 PM
Beginner

Make sure you got Nutritional Yeast, not brewer's yeast. There's a huge difference. Also, did you get a reaction immediately after eating it? Because it could be something else too. Your body may need time to grow accustomed to it.
#6 Old 01-08-2008, 03:29 PM
Beginner

two TOTALLY different products! (why do t5hey sell brewers yeast to humans, anyway?? lol)

i have had stomach probs once in a while, though. im not sure if its only the nut. yeast ,though, it certainly could be from something im eating w/ it. but it only happens when i eat something that is INTENSLY nutritional yeast-y, like a cheeze sauce.

if you are worried, just start out slow. but beware! its ADDICTIVE!!!

and congrats on your 3 days!! yay!!!
#7 Old 01-08-2008, 03:40 PM
Banned

yeasts come in two basic forms, activated (alive) and deactivated (dead).

the brewers yeast she had back then may well have been live- remember, its the stuff they use to make beer, if its not dead, it'll try and brew whatever it gets the chance to brew, and your body is nice and warm and moist and full of things to brew lol- that probably wouldn't do your stomach much good. nutritional and brewers yeast for eating or use as a nutritional supplement is generally sold deactivated (dead) so shouldn't be able to do any foamy brewing stuff in your tummy.

its also possible that you have an allergy or intollerance to yeast. i bloat up and get pretty unwell from any old yeast- brewers, bakers, nutritional, alive, dead, whatever- my body thinks its an invader and repells it, and freaks out while its doing it. if that was the case with you, its likely you'd get the same bloating and sickness from ingesting bread, beer, marmite, etc- that'd be a big clue.

if you've ever eaten any veggie faux meat products, or mainstream cheesy/savoury slightly salty flavoured things (snacks, chips, crackers... eg: doritos), you've probably already been getting a dose of nutritional yeast, most of those products seem to contain nutritional yeast as a flavouring.

you could always just try a little bit, and see how you go.
#8 Old 01-08-2008, 04:19 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodedclawjen View Post

eg: doritos), you've probably already been getting a dose of nutritional yeast, most of those products seem to contain nutritional yeast as a flavouring.

interesting! in doritos?

jen..have you ever been checked for candidia? when i had it, i wasnt able to eat anything yeasty, or fermented b/c i would bloat like crrrrrazy.
#9 Old 01-08-2008, 04:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
interesting! in doritos?

yeah- loads of cheesy stuff (omni stuff too!). flipping yeast (and sugar) is in everything. my shopping trips get somewhat tiresome if i try and buy anything out of a packet, lol.

Quote:
jen..have you ever been checked for candidia? when i had it, i wasnt able to eat anything yeasty, or fermented b/c i would bloat like crrrrrazy.

hahaha, yeah. it's reckoned i'm somewhat permenantly screwed by candida... long story. i'm in a pretty manageable state, but probably will be on a permenantly restricted diet, and have a whole bunch of food and environmental allergies and intollerances, some of which which i could have had before, during, or as a result of the evil yeastie beasties. the yeast ones are at least partly related to a load of mould and environmental allergies i have. its doubtful they're going anywhere soon.
#10 Old 01-08-2008, 04:43 PM
Beginner

sheesh, that sucks jen! i can only imagine how that would be...i only had it bad for a year or two, and while it was lovely to lose weight from avoiding food, it wasnt so fun to look 9months pregnant after i happened to eat anything! not cute. (unless of course, you really had a baby in there and not just fermented tomato sauce. haha)

i guess the neti pot wouldnt work on all your ailments.... lol.
#11 Old 01-08-2008, 04:46 PM
Beginner

I've also heard that different brands of nutritional yeast can taste very different, and I don't know if eating something like that straight could have that effect on you while having it in things wouldn't.
#12 Old 01-08-2008, 04:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
sheesh, that sucks jen! i can only imagine how that would be...i only had it bad for a year or two, and while it was lovely to lose weight from avoiding food, it wasnt so fun to look 9months pregnant after i happened to eat anything! not cute. (unless of course, you really had a baby in there and not just fermented tomato sauce. haha)

i guess the neti pot wouldnt work on all your ailments.... lol.

it helps my nose a fair bit. doesn't do a whole bunch for hives or stomach issues though, lol.. not that i've tried sticking it anywhere but near my nose, of course.

its all good. i'm working on it. i'd much rather mentally handle the prospect of never having another marmite sandwich and glass of beer, than feel like an alien is trying to get out of my bloated belly 24-7, hehehe
#13 Old 01-08-2008, 04:51 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bramble View Post

i have never seen it in a regular grocery store, and the health food store people generally know quite a bit about what they sell.

If you do look for it in a regular store, it will most likely in the bulk foods section to buy by weight. That is if the store you shop at has one.

But I would definately try buying at a health food store first so you could ask questions.
#14 Old 01-08-2008, 06:24 PM
Beginner

Wow, you guys are quick!

It doesn't sound like nausea is commonly associated with nutritional yeast, I'm sure you all would have heard about it if people were complaining in large numbers.

I will have to pick a day where I don't have anything I have to do and just give it a try, I guess. Thanks!
#15 Old 01-09-2008, 02:32 PM
Beginner

dont anticipate the nausea, either...b/c you could get sick over the association of NY and the brewer's yeast trauma that you had when you were young.

maybe you should try eating your NY while looking at a rainbow to form new associations!! haha.
#16 Old 01-09-2008, 05:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
maybe you should try eating your NY while looking at a rainbow to form new associations!! haha.

excellent idea. as long as its not the rainbow from jennas avatar, hehehe.
#17 Old 04-16-2014, 02:05 PM
Beginner

I just tried the nutritional on my dinner. Well I began to feel sick and my stomach bloated and began to hurt also head hurt. From this reaction I would say yes, nutritional yeast can be a problem to some people.

#18 Old 04-18-2014, 06:41 PM
Beginner

Does the brand matter? I've had Starwest Botanicals without problems.

I write amazing books on raw foods, vegan recipes, health and battling addictions for under $5! Organic herbs and plants.

http://sagelightpublishing.miiduu.com/

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page